Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor WIP (Any help would be great!)

• 80 Replies

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
First Armor WIP (Any help would be great!)
« on: Feb 28, 2018, 02:09 PM »
So here is what I want my costume to look like when it's done, except with Jango Fetts armor, not this.

Some of the red will be a layer beneath the green. I think that's trauma plating?
Here are pictures of me wearing the templates:

Do they fit right? Should I start cutting plastic?
I have 7 sheets of 12"x24" sintra, black leather fingerless gloves, and a Rubies Boba Fett helmet that need mods.
I have heard that scrubs are good flight suit material, but I've also heard that you need a vest. What for, and where should I get it?
And, I don't know how to make an ammo belt, or where to buy one. So, any help here?

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 02:21 PM by T_Jay00 » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: First Armor WIP (Any help would be great!)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Hello again!
Currently, everything looks a bit large. 

Check out this guy:

His chest plates end before the edge of his chest, and you can see the edge of the flakvest there.  The cod plate ends where he ends.

I know it's just paper, but the spacing around the diamond will need to be even all the way around, and the spacing between the plates needs to be even.  That means that your chest plates and ab plates need to move up a bit to sit closer to eachother and closer to your collar.  Gap should be no more than a thumbs width.

I speak from experience shaping that backplate when I say that to get it to really fit close to you, it needs to be smaller than you think it does. 

Shoulders also need to come up so that the top of them is roughly on the shoulder seam on your shirt.

Currently you have no knee coverage, which is required for all kits.  You can either extend the shin plating so that they become "Shnees" or you can add knee plates like Jango's, or other styles.

I would trim everything a bit and post more pics.  I know it seems trivial sometimes because it's just paper, but the more work you do now, before plastic, the less work you'll have to do shaping and trimming later, and you'll have less material waist.   

You're already doing quite a bit right by posting here for feedback before moving forward, so keep it up, and keep asking questions!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Ok, how 'bout this:

I printed the next size down. This one had better fit because I'm running out of tape.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Torso plates are much closer, your spacing is much better.  The pectoral and ab plates are probably still a half inch to an inch too wide on either side.  (This matters when you try to move your arms once they're rigid. 

The shin plates are hard to judge without your boots, and with the baggy jeans.  Your flghtsuit will be a closer fit.  Thigh plates look big.   Yay knees :)

I would say the backplate needs the most trimming.  I should still be able to see green until the kidney plate coverage at the bottom starts, but it also needs to come up a few inches, so that the collar of the backplate is on the collar of your t-shirt.

Much better than the first fit up!    Your decision where to go from here, but again, better paper,=easier and faster plastic :)  Keep it up!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:39 PM »
So like this?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Very yes!  May or may not have to trim once you start shaping, but that looks great!

Yogi

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:17 PM »
What size templates did you print? You have a smallish frame and the chest pieces still seem a bit large.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Umm, I printed the medium, but I just looked at it and my printer settings were set to fit to page, so all the pieces were goofy. I've fixed it now, so tomorrow I'll have pics of that one, maybe it'll fit right.

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:34 PM »
So, does it fit now?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Looks good.  Still not sure about shins without the boots for your kit, (or knees without flightsuit) but can always cut those out later.  Back and front collars do not have to be connected.  There can be a gap between them, or they can even be strapped together. 

Keep in mind your flightsuit needs to be well fitted to you. Many approaches to this -- some use coveralls, some flightsuits, some Dickies, some Scrubs.

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Yeah, I've decided on some Red Kaps coveralls. I'll put it on inside out and take in the seams to make it tighter. For my vest I'm going to get a black T-shirt and cut off the sleeves. I haven't been able to find boots yet, but I'm still looking.

So I can start cutting plastic now? I have it all fitting right?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:09 PM »
T-shirt is not approvable for vest, but you can do that to make your pattern. Needs to be a heavier material like duck cloth or canvas for the flak vest.

You may still have some trimming down the line, we almost all do, but you are probably good to start cutting plastic on chest shoulders and back.

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:23 PM »
What did you use for your vest?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:27 PM »
My vest and kama are maid from a set of canvass blackout curtains.  A ton of people use duck cloth-- can be purchased pretty cheaply at joanne's, check their site for coupons.  Some people use pleather/leather/vinyl-- would say those are a little trickier to work with than the canvass or the duck cloth. 

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:04 PM »
Sep's got you on the right path.  Just checking in to say I'll be watching your build, too.  Keep up the good work and the good questions.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!