Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor WIP (Any help would be great!)

• 80 Replies

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
Re: First Armor WIP (Any help would be great!)
« Reply #60 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Just in time for Halloween, I get the thing wearable!

Now, those chest plates are mounted right, just for some reason they looked off in that picture. I have a temporary ammo belt on, and the girth belt needs to sit even to the plates. Other then that, how does it look? Anything I missed?

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #61 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Your soft parts need some weathering. They look too new and shiny next to your kit, which could use a bit more grime as well. The girth belt also needs some grime and weathering, and should hide the top of your cod plate. Next time you get a picture, try for a softer, more even light. It's washing you out quite a bit and making it hard to really get a good look at the details. Good work so far. Keep it up, vod.

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #62 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Soft part weathering for sure.
Go roll around in some dirt and trudge through some mud.

Take a look at worn items and how they would weather, take a second to think about your plate weathering and be sure to apply similar weathering to the soft parts. (Something I need to remember for myself also)

In response to the backside issues. Kamas literally save kits.  A kama will hide the saggy bottom mando and gives you another item to take up the mid space below the belts and it hides the belt you can use to attach the cod  with.

When you get a chance, post some more photos from each side, front. And back and we can give you proper feedback.

Armored Invasions Total: 32|2019: 14| 2018: 12|2017: 7|Educational Events on Record: 20| Joined 03/2017|Upgrade WIP Here
OG PRE-APP 2016

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #63 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Ok, the kama will have to wait, but I've been working on weathering my soft parts for awhile, and I'm fairly happy with the results.
Neck seal:

Girth belt:

Flak vest:

Flightsuit legs:

And one of the arms:

Does that work? The flak vest was the easiest to weather, the flightsuit doesn't really hold any of the color. 

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #64 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:56 AM »
So... I've discovered that matching the weathering on the soft parts to the weathering on the armor plates is rather...difficult. So should I repaint the plates with less weathering? Or am I good?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Great work on your kit so far T_Jay!

The weathering on your softgoods looks within the range of your plates. 

(I know you're not asking for Pre-app style feedback, but, figured better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it)

You can drop the bottom plate on your backplate, as it shouldn't overlap or tuck into your waist items, and should be about the same length as your torso armor.

Your spacing looks pretty good, but something is resulting in your torso armor looking slanted a bit.

There's a bit of blousing of your pants between knees and shins that needs to be addressed, and a similar issue at the top of your thigh plates.    It also looks like the armos of your flightsuit might be a bit long for you as there's a  pleating happening above your gauntlets up to your elbows.

you're getting really close vod! time for those final adjustments :)

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #66 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Really excited to see this all come together. You're almost there!!

Den Barren

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Loving where this kit is going vod! Great work so far!

It looks like you might have a little skin showing through your neck seal. Itís hard to tell in this picture. But, if it is youíll want to cover that up before submitting. :) 

Youíre getting close vod! Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2019, 04:31 AM by Den Barren » Logged

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Great work on your kit so far T_Jay!

The weathering on your softgoods looks within the range of your plates. 

(I know you're not asking for Pre-app style feedback, but, figured better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it)

You can drop the bottom plate on your backplate, as it shouldn't overlap or tuck into your waist items, and should be about the same length as your torso armor.

Your spacing looks pretty good, but something is resulting in your torso armor looking slanted a bit.

There's a bit of blousing of your pants between knees and shins that needs to be addressed, and a similar issue at the top of your thigh plates.    It also looks like the armos of your flightsuit might be a bit long for you as there's a  pleating happening above your gauntlets up to your elbows.

you're getting really close vod! time for those final adjustments :)

I would agree. Also I think the issue with the torso armor is that the left chest plate is about 3mm to high compared to the right chest piece. If you attached your plates via velcro that will be a super easy fix. Also the soft part weathering is look great. It's tough with all black but you have done a pretty good job of it so far.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #69 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Thanks guys! I haven't quit, don't worry. I'm taking a break to get done with high school. I'll have more updates this summer!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #70 on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:37 PM »
Ok, I know it's not summer, but I've had sudden inspiration.  :rolleyes:

Where could I get some stencils for Mandalorian or Aurebesh? I want to write something on the back of my helmet, and I...don't have very good handwriting.  :-[
Particularly in different languages.

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #71 on: Apr 18, 2019, 09:29 AM »
So in planning for Celebration next year, I'm trying to get as many ducks in a row as I can. The fact that it's in California stinks, btw.
Anyway, what kind of boxes are typically used when flying with a kit?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #72 on: Apr 18, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Answering both of your questions.

Look on etsy or if you can 3d print, you can find aurebesh or mando'a stamps, stencils, or even print em out yourself. Look up tutorials on how to create your own stencils and that can help you out.

Good boxes to fly with are the lowes or home depot 24-36 gallon totes with wheels. They lock, are durable and can easily be padded to not impact your kit in transit.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #73 on: Apr 18, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Ok, I'll look into those. Thanks!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Is a police belt acceptable for a ammo belt?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!