Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Charlene's Varactyl Tamer- Changed Vision

• 20 Replies
Charlene's Varactyl Tamer- Changed Vision
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:01 AM »
So I had a WIP with this Celtic design I liked but I lost my love for it when I was getting the pieces together. I just didn't feel like I could pull it all together with a cool theme. I dont know, I felt lost. I have been stumped for about a week thinking I was just going to put together a boring mando and add to it later when inspiration struck! Now I am inspired all over again and I think it makes for a much more cohesive theme.

The Varactyl! Such a cool creature, beautiful colors and my favorite jedi (I know boo) Obi Wan gets to ride one. Has inspired me to go the beast tamer route.
Creature below:

New Concept:

New Color Scheme:

Armor Pieces:

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2018, 02:27 PM by fueledbychar » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Charlene's Mando
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Looks like an awesome concept. I'm a little biased on the blue and copper front, but I think it'll look more unique than the blue and silver which gives a little bit of a "Frozen" vibe.  Still totally approvable and 100% your call which color combo.   Looks like you're off to a really good start vod!

girrox211

• Helmet on. Heart Gone.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Oooh. I'm digging the blue. My roommate drew a lot of Celtic designs so I'm always interested when I see them come into play.

The Buurenaar Verda members are awesome! I just came from Florida and everyone was friendly!

Since you live in Florida another thing that may be a good idea is installing some fans into your helmet. I never did and I regretted it so badly! Megacon was a hot one.......

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Looking good! I'm excited to see all the armor plates together -- especially once you've done what I'm sure is going to be an amazing paint job. :)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Looks like an awesome concept. I'm a little biased on the blue and copper front, but I think it'll look more unique than the blue and silver which gives a little bit of a "Frozen" vibe.  Still totally approvable and 100% your call which color combo.   Looks like you're off to a really good start vod!

I agree with your frozen vibe assessment. I have been leaning more and more toward the copper as well. That would also allow me to work in brown tones with the armor as well and not limiting me to black. I was thinking about that when looking at belts etc. I also feel the copper vibe would go great for weapons and items I would like to work toward privateer. (I think that is the one that is the bright and showy one)

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:28 PM »
The group here is awesome! I am excited to keep working with them. I love Ireland and Scotland and their rich history so I would love to bring that into my armor since I dont have another outlet to do so. I think the designs are going to be really fun.

I already have fans for my helmet. I have them in my 501st armor as well. You cannot survive florida without them!! haha

Oooh. I'm digging the blue. My roommate drew a lot of Celtic designs so I'm always interested when I see them come into play.

The Buurenaar Verda members are awesome! I just came from Florida and everyone was friendly!

Since you live in Florida another thing that may be a good idea is installing some fans into your helmet. I never did and I regretted it so badly! Megacon was a hot one.......

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:43 PM »
(Try not to double-post within a 24-hour period. There is a rule against it in the forum rules found here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=84.0 . Feel free to "Modify" your previous post, however, with new information, something you forgot to add, etc.)

We're very glad to have you with us. ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 09:10 PM by Ordeyn » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:01 PM »
That looks familiar... I remember that power tool posture with fibreglass body shapes. :P

I love Ireland and Scotland and their rich history so I would love to bring that into my armor since I dont have another outlet to do so.

I feel relegated I do ;) Cymru am byth!
:P Looking forward to seeing what you come up with (and I know I didn't see any, however, obligatory warning - if you use animals in the knotwork, make sure you adjust all designs into being clearly alien species)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Mashukir Prudiise

• the laziest of potatoes
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:57 AM »
I’m very biased towards copper, and it looks fantastic!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Ok update time!!!!!

The kit is coming along. We (some super awesome people in my clan, specifically phil and myself) have cut the basic shapes out of the fiberglass. There is a collar bone but its hard to hold up so many pieces. Clearly it needs to be trimmed down more. You can see the lines I drew on it. I'll get it there, this is just an update. I have also sewn my flak vest. You can see in the photo where the side of my flak vest is missing a sleeve and not closed. The sleeve has been sewn on but I am waiting till the end to add a zipper or velcro to close my vest. Still on the fence about which to do.

I have also begun work on the celtic design additives that will be going on my armor. I painted this one silver with some crappy paint just to see how it would look. I still need to smooth the edges a bit more but you get the idea. I think its coming out neat so far. I will have a matching one on the other breast plate, ones on my helmet, and I am now on the fence about the one I mocked up on the ab/stomach plate. I think it may be too much. I will add some to the shnees or thigh plates I decided to add.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Impressive work so far! Seems you're off to a running start, and the BVC  are a solid crowd that will definitely steer you right if you run into any snags. I have no critiques so far, so all I can say is keep up the great work :D

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
Re: Charlene's Varactyl Tamer- Changed Vision
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Changed my vision, going in a different direction...

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2018, 10:46 PM »
ok I’ve added scales to all the armor see below

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2018, 11:07 PM »
liking what I'm seeing :) Will be watching.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2018, 05:53 AM »
If you're adding bone/scale work to the helmet on a modern kit - try not to make it look like it is part of the helmet as that gives the impression that the helmet is all bone which is Early Crusader period. You want to make it appear to be a trophy added afterwards that is separate from the modern tech helmet - the same way the scales appear to be additions to your other plating that have been layered on afterwards.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2018, 10:43 AM »
If you're adding bone/scale work to the helmet on a modern kit - try not to make it look like it is part of the helmet as that gives the impression that the helmet is all bone which is Early Crusader period. You want to make it appear to be a trophy added afterwards that is separate from the modern tech helmet - the same way the scales appear to be additions to your other plating that have been layered on afterwards.

Understood. the Helmet is going to be all blue and the scales are going to be the color shown in the varactyl photo. I am not filling in the side gaps on the helmet so you can see there is a distinction that is was glued on and not growing out of the helmet. Make sense? I will have some more photos up this weekend once the first layer of primer goes on.

Any other suggestions? Comments? I really would like my theme to work as I havent seen many like it.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Kris gives excellent advice, as always. You've made great progress since I've been away from the forums, and I hope to see more soon!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2018, 03:53 PM »
More progress is being made!!! Added in the visor, and test fitting all the time to trim and fix. I think I did pretty well on the visor barely any space between the visor and helmet. I havent taken any photos with the armor fitting a bit more properly yet, That will be coming in the next week or so.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Looks like the cod needs to be a good couple of inches taller to be properly sized and placed, and you'll need to cut down shin and thigh to fit in knees - or make it clear that the shins are actually shnees, but everything else is looking spot on.

« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:41 PM »
SOOOOOOO After a long hiatus due to a ton of cons in the way. I am back at it with more progress. Decided to remove the fake scales and painted them instead. Here are the chest pieces for the new Varactyl design.

I came up with the design and color scheme, created the vinyls used to achieve the scales but the actual Spray paint was done by the Master Guru painter in my Clan Miguel (shev'la ram'ser) . I needed a steady hand in which I do not have lol.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2019, 01:55 PM by fueledbychar » Logged
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2019, 07:49 PM »
That last Pic of your painted armor with the Varactyl scale motif is so stunning! It's going to be gorgeous all together!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!