Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Return of the Slade

• 181 Replies

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Return of the Slade
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:29 PM »
So with the exception of the diamond and the accessories on the gauntlets, the armor is done. It's still a bit too cold for painting around here, but I got it all velcro'd up, and stuck the torso plates on my old vest to check 'em out.

There are still some imperfections in the back plate, but I'm going to wait and see how it looks after the primer before putting more energy into getting it just so. Considering most of it is going to be covered by a jetpack anyway, I think it's come out pretty good.

The plates don't fit quite right on the vest and the spacing is a bit off as the velcro is set up for my old Galaxies style armor. I think it gives a good show of how the shaping and sizing are, though. The back plate  looks a touch wide in the picture, but I think once I have a vest with properly placed velcro it won't be a problem. If necessary, I can always shave a half inch off each side or something.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Broke down and made a duct tape cast to help with sizing, because I feel like it's a little off.

So, the back plate needs a little more shaping, and upon closer inspection the ab and chest plates are just a little too big. They go too far down my torso; that line on the bottom of the ab plate is around where my belly button is. The blacked out parts of the plates are where I intend on trimming them. I'm going to mess around with the back plate today, so if anyone disagrees and thinks the size/spacing is ok, there's time to change my mind before I get a' cuttin'.

Barrise Tisa

• Mother of nexu
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017 Donated four quarters of 2023. EnviroOps
« Reply #27 on: Apr 07, 2018, 07:54 PM »
This is looking amazing.

The mother of nexus
MMCC #1735. Brigade #251,392.  QMU #065. M5 #84.  M.P.C.S. #004. Aran Wolves Oyula Ori'tsad #05. Mir'Shebse #14. L.O.B #36. M.A.R.S. #69 O.O.P.S #56 M.V.S #074 Vode Be Vhekad #19
https://i.imgur.com/dHQt60n.jpeg

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 07, 2018, 08:56 PM »
The plates look pretty good, Vod.  When you trim them, be sure to do it a little at a time, so you don't over do it.

And, do I spy a Supernatural ward on you?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Thanks! This is the first time in, oh, six years I've really built myself a new suit from the ground up properly, so I'm sort of feeling my way through some of it.

And, do I spy a Supernatural ward on you?

That you do! Opposite the Dragonmark of Passage.

So I finished reshaping the back plate and rear collar plate, but I didn't bother with pictures as it doesn't change the look of them dramatically, just makes them fit better. I also went ahead and did the trimming on the chest and ab plates. Duct Tape Leroy helped!

No flash:

With flash:

Needs a touch of reshaping as well, especially the trimmed areas, and the upper half of the ab plate, but it's a wee bit too late for hammering around here.

Also, my dog cosplays!

By which I mean my fiance torments Orrie by making her try on costume bits. That dog is remarkably tolerant, I'll have to make her armor of her own some day.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:34 PM »
That you do! Opposite the Dragonmark of Passage.
Sweet.

I'm not sure if you answered this, but what gauge metal are you using?  I'm in the middle of a rebuild, and have been using 22ga steel.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2018, 08:33 AM »
All of the torso plates are 16ga steel. The shoulders, gauntlets, and below-the-waist armor are all 22ga steel. I've always done either 22ga steel or 14ga aluminum, but decided to give the 16ga a chance on the bossman's recommendation during one of the Warmaster's Workshop livestreams.

Edit:
Just in case anyone checking the thread out has any delusions in regards to my talent, I'd like to share the pictures of my very first suit, the one I technically got approved in back in late '08, early '09, when Mandalorian Costuming was still mostly a lawless jungle.

As you can see, it was a fair bit of a mess, and I doubt it would warrant more than a glance from the App Team before getting kicked back with a veritable mountain of required changes :P.

Then, my most recent officially approved kit, from circa 2013-2014

Still a bit of a mess in areas, notably bagginess of flight suit and those first run vac-formed Legacy shoulders being too small, but leaps and bounds improved. That was after five solid years of practice, well over a dozen separate sets of torso plates hammered into existence, not counting utter failures and an ever-varying number of other armor parts.  The proper armor build is all about time, practice and patience.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2018, 01:13 PM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged
« Reply #32 on: Apr 12, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Nice work vod, I'm kicking around idea of next armour set being metal. Watching this with interest

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Thanks vod, If you have any questions on metal armor building feel free to message me any time. I get notified by email when someone PMs me, and my email goes to my phone so I should respond in a timely manner. It's easier to get into than people expect, though it can be tough work on some parts. Getting all of the tools can be a little pricey as well, but once you have them, most of them will last you for many years. All of the hard work and cost is definitely rewarding when the armor is done.

Updates will be thin on the ground the rest of the week, as I had a surprise Flushing week. I make tubing assemblies for medical instruments, analytical quipment mostly related to liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry, which means almost nothing to me :P; one of the sales guys once explained it to me as "we make the -censored- that tells you what -censored- is in your -censored-". Part of the process in the Tubing department where I work is flushing solvents through the raw tubing after it's cut and then blowing them dry with nitrogen gas. We take turns working one week at a time with the full time flusher, which means going in there every 7 or 8 weeks. It means extra hours worked, and hours spent hunched over a pump outlet and often turned off to one side because of longer tubes. I was supposed to have one more week before my turn, but the Saw operator is out on temporary medical after surgery, and the guy who's turn it was this week is the backup Saw operator, so it's a'flushing I have been :P.

TL;DR: Super exhaust from bonus work and have to work Saturday and have an engagement party Sunday, so chances are real updates won't resume until next week.

Also, don't let my blaring overconfidence fool you; I am as insecure about my work as anyone, or more so, so compliments, encouragements and constructive criticism are very welcome :D.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #34 on: Apr 12, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Nice to see another of the old guard return! Watching with interest.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #35 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Thanks Kol,

Minor update, as the weather decided to be nice with only slight humidity. I decided to hit the front torso plates with a coat of primer, as it's a great way to see any remaining imperfections.

More to come, of course.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Those look awesome Slade!

« Reply #37 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Thanks vod, If you have any questions on metal armor building feel free to message me any time. I get notified by email when someone PMs me, and my email goes to my phone so I should respond in a timely manner. It's easier to get into than people expect, though it can be tough work on some parts. Getting all of the tools can be a little pricey as well, but once you have them, most of them will last you for many years. All of the hard work and cost is definitely rewarding when the armor is done.

Thanks vod, I'll definantly have some questions

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #38 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Those look awesome Slade!

So I caved to the lady and brought the dog outside to play in the yard while the weather held, decided to take all of the plates downstairs and hit them all with some primer.

Please ignore my scrubbiness in that last :P. I had to go in for 4am today, so as soon as I got home it was sweatpants and t-shirt time.

My main intent with the primer coat now was to look for imperfections that still need hammering/sanding, but for once I seem to actually have been thorough enough with my cleanup work before painting. There are a couple spots that need touching up on the gauntlets, but I think the rest of the plates are ready for more paint. I also got most of my new vest done; it just needs a closure method and velcro for plate placement. One step closer.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #39 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Realized I completely missed my cod plates and my hand armor. Did some work on the latter over the last couple days, as well as banging out a chunk of my early crusader armor for a change of pace.

Unfortunately, the knuckle spikes are a bit uneven, but I'm not sure how much motivation I have to redo them, especially given the cost of the metal drill attachments for my dremel. I'm going to wait until I paint them and see how they look.

Start with handplate:

Take leather studs and remove spikey bits with tin snips

Glue onto hand plate with Goop

Of the 16 domes, four came off because the goop within didn't have enough air to cure. So I filled them in and will glue them back on tomorrow.

The reference for the gauntlets is the old wookiepedia shuk'orok, crushgaunts:

More to come, of course!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #40 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Well.  That's just stupid fancy.  Nicely done, vod!  Looking forward to seeing those completely put together. 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #41 on: Apr 16, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Metal kits amaze me, they're an impressive level of craftsmanship. Nice work! I'm excited to see the finished product!

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #42 on: Apr 17, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Finally, some crushgaunts! Eager to see how they and your kit come out.  ;D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Thanks guys :D. I had some major car trouble (as in my car has gone to the great parking lot in the sky) so I didn't get home until about an hour and a half ago. BUT I did get the four domes that failed to adhere glued on. We'll see tomorrow if it holds or if I have to seek alternative attachment methods. Good thing is the goop I filled the domes with cured just fine, so the final layer should hold. It'll also help once I paint them, as the paint will further seal them on.

MalacorV

• With the blastshield down I can't even see!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10:48 PM »
My kit's color scheme was/is inspired by Clan Wren also - I LOVE This build and can't wait to see where you take it.

OM 2368 | He/Him| Instagram: @ValynNast | Brigade Pre-App Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211558.0

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #45 on: Apr 18, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Nice! And thanks :D, I'm not sure if I'm going to go Wren colors, I'm leaning toward my old gold and purple colors.

Small progress, and update! The renegade domes seem to be securely glued on. I also mounted the plates (removeably for later painting) onto the left hand glove. Would have done both, but the right hand seems to have disappeared :/. Hopefully it's in my lady's car, as that was the last place I remember having them when I wore my old kit to my friend's house for his birthday.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #46 on: Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 PM »
Very nice

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #47 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Looking great, Slade.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Thanks folks :D. Today's weather spiked enough to get some painting in!

First coat!

As you can see, I decided to go with something akin to my old colors rather than Wren Clan colors, but I'll be incorporating some Wren elements in the final painting stage. I unfortunately couldn't find my old colorshift purple/blue paint in stores and was too impatient to order it online, so I found a nice purple I liked for my secondary color.

The shins up close!

As you can see, the paint is still a little splotchy, so it'll need another coat but I ran out of warm weather. I unfortunately pulled the masking off already because I couldn't tell out in daylight that the paint wasn't evenly coated. You'll also note that the front panel on one of them is raised up, the intent is to make a slim vibroblade that can be sheathed in that one, it leaves about a 1/16 inch gap between it and the actual shin plate.

The cod plate needs a little more weathering, but I expect a mando would still avoid getting shot in the groin, even with beskar.

Minimal weathering on the backplate, because Slade rarely shows his back to the enemy!

Some throwbacks to the weathering on my first 'proper' kit that I wore for years on the front torso plates.

And unfortunately some spiderwebbing on the boot and shoulder armor, but those are getting sanded down and purpled anyway, so there it is.

Now, the whole of it needs blackwashing and carbon scoring, and it will be getting some patterns influenced by Tristan Wren's markings on the chest and back plate. And of course since I went with different colors, one of my buckets is going to need to be stripped down and repainted...orrrr I need another bucket.

Note: Modified because I hit 'post' preemptively like a putz :P

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 06:23 PM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #49 on: Apr 24, 2018, 12:40 AM »
Glad to see our OG horn-head mando back in action  ;)  8)

I look forward to following your progress man, looking good so far!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!