Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Return of the Slade

• 179 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
Re: Return of the Slade
« Reply #120 on: Mar 21, 2019, 11:09 PM »
It's coming together quickly, thanks for the compliment above :) Your wife's kit is coming together too!

Home stretch for you both.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #121 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:39 AM »
It's coming together quickly, thanks for the compliment above :) Your wife's kit is coming together too!

Home stretch for you both.

Thanks :D! Your armor has been a pretty big inspiration for this plot twist build, especially as the Slade armor was a mechanic in the old days too. I'm not sure if the tools will be done for Celebration, as I'm focusing on base approval right now, but I think I'm getting pretty close. I spent my lunch break today (yesterday, technically as it's past midnight :P) putting together lists of To-Do's, one of which is all of the Mission Critical stuff. I'm basically down to tailoring my flight suit top, adding attachment points to flight suit bottom for lower body armor and to the vest to keep the torso harness in place, installing the visor in my bucket and weathering all of my soft parts and leather goods. I genuinely intend to at least get pre-app pictures in this weekend, barring utter disaster.

Managed a test fit of the painted, weathered and sealed torso plates.

Re-mounted the torso plates with heavier leather internal straps, as the original straps were already starting to stretch, and fixed up my failed vest. Avelin made me a perfectly functional vest using PointofOrigin's old tutorial...and then I lost a few inches off of my waist-stomach and turned it into a sack :P. The one in the pictures is a mess of darts on the front as I had no idea what I was doing, but it was easier to bring the side panels in on that one, and the mess is covered by the armor plates anyway, so no muss, no fuss.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #122 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Getting closer and closer, vod!  Keep up the good work!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #123 on: Mar 24, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Great work vod

and yea the OG mercs coming back must see me and be like

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019, 09:26 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #124 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Keep up the good work husband :)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #125 on: Mar 24, 2019, 11:10 PM »
Thanks vode :)

So, visit from the mother in law meet cleaning until about 1:30, so time lost and not quite pre-app ready today, but I did manage to get kitted up sans helmet.

f immediate note; cod piece needs more shaping, but I already knew that, knees and thighs need to be moved up and straps tightened up, flight suit maybe needs to be tighter and shoulders need to be secured so they don't move about like that.  Flight suit and vest are weathered but I'm not sure how well it shows up in pictures here, since I know where to look, so I might have to be more creative in weathering them.

If there's other stuff I'm missing, hit me with it, or if you concur with my assessment.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2019, 06:19 AM by Slade Kel » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #126 on: Mar 24, 2019, 11:21 PM »
weathering on the flight and flak, definitely on your butt.
in the side photos, your backplates are doing some weird things and pulling away from you in places-- mostly in the one where you're facing photo left.
You've got quite a bit of space between your collar in the back and the base of your neck.

That's all that's jumping out at me vod!  Nice progress!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #127 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Thanks for the input vod. I have feared I need to just replace the top lame of three back plate, but I think I have enough metal around to do so. I also need to lengthen the flank straps of the torso; part of the funky sit of the back plate is the upper plate, the rest is the straps being too tight I think.

About what I expected on the flight suit too, I'll stop on the way home today and get brown and darker grey fabric paint; all I had was black and light grey, so without daylight it doesn't stand out. Fortunately I drive right by a Michael's craft store and there's a joann's within two minutes of my work place.

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #128 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Will this kit be part Zabrak likem your old one? Reason I ask is if you get a helmet from me I can weld on Zabrak horns TCW DW style made of 2205 duplex stainless steel... I got a fair bit of it laying around from my strut bar brackets.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #129 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Will this kit be part Zabrak likem your old one? Reason I ask is if you get a helmet from me I can weld on Zabrak horns TCW DW style made of 2205 duplex stainless steel... I got a fair bit of it laying around from my strut bar brackets.
Yeah, that's the plan going forward, though not for Celebration. I intend to get prosthetics and all this time around, so TCW style horns would be dope! :D

So I spent the afternoon making Avelin's second thigh plate and cutting down and reshaping my cod piece (too wide), but I did not get a chance to remount it yet. I also made a new top plate for the back, in the hopes that it alleviates the issues Sep pointed out.

Still some tweaking to do on the plate shapes, though they'll never lie fully flat as my back is weirdly curved, and I still need to make new straps for the harness. These closeup shots really illustrate how short they are D:. Hopefully I'll be able to knock those out tomorrow while waiting for paint to dry :D.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #130 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Backplate looks awesome now :)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #131 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:16 AM »
Thanks! Big glaring issue is I can't get it on and off without undoing one of the Chicago screws, so I'm going to have to play around with it today after work. I can't reach it myself and I'd rather not be trapped in my armor in a pinch :P

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #132 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Cotter pin on a string and clevis post.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #133 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:52 PM »
You could replace the chicago screw with either a large bolt/stud/acorn nut setup boba style, or a pair of snaps on the strap. Thats how Mandalores kits fasten at the top. I usually do 3/4" buckles or the aforementioned bolt stud method.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #134 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion vode, I'll play around with a few options and see what works best. In the meantime I got the new top back plate painted, and worked on fixing the straps for the thigh plates.

No pics of the thighs, as the dye on the adjusted straps is still drying, but hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!