Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Return of the Slade

• 181 Replies

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Return of the Slade
« Reply #150 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Ok, Super nitpicky fine tooth comb mode activated!
Exactly what I want!

I agree on the pictures; it's rainy and getting too dark out for pictures, I'm going to have to try to get them done during the day outside. The angle is partly just the positioning required to get far enough back in our apartment to get a clear shot...the place is not conducive to full body picture taking :P.a

I'm going to have to come up with better strapping for the knees. Part of it probably is stance. My left foot's natural position is at about a 60 degree angle due to development and injuries as a child, so standing with my feet more or less straight on is a pain. I might move to elastic strapping instead of leather, as it'll flex better and hopefully keep the positioning. I might have to reposition the velcro too. Fortunately the straps will be hidden by the kama and will match the flight suit.

Upon closer inspection of the right holster, I think you're right. That's the first leather piece I ever finished, and I was pretty heavy handed with the dye so what weathering is there is hard to see. I'll hit it with some lighter colors to even it out compared to the rest.

Definitely agree on the vest. Strapping it tighter and shifting the position did not do much to alleviate that issue, so I'm going to have to go back to the tailor's board.

Yep, leather girth-sash-thingy, old plastic buckle. I can paint it up to look metal-ish, or I might replace it with proper metal buckles. I actually have all new buckles coming in tomorrow that are the same color as my chicago screws and armor, so I could add two straps and buckles to the girth thingy.

Ironic that you should mention that :P. This is my old kama, and when I cracked it out of storage I realized that none of the edges were finished except the top, they were all just un-hemmed fabric so I went through and hemmed them all, lol. I can definitely weathering them up to get it good.

Thanks for the input!

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2019, 11:03 PM by Slade Kel » Logged
QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #151 on: Apr 02, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Managed to get some work in yesterday, no kitted up shots, but here are a few pictures.

In case I don't get around to replacing the buckle I silvered and black washed it.

Repainted the blasters, added more obvious weathering

Heavier weathering on both holsters

Heavier weathering overall on the kama with extra attention to the edges. Weathering soft parts is definitely not my strong point, so of it looks too contrived please let me know. I'll try to get suited up today to let you all see it alongside the rest.

Also worked om the vest, tailoring a few spots in closer and hemming the right arm hole to try to make it more even.

Not pictured here, I added stirrups and velcro straps to the pants so that the legs will stay more stable in the boots, and more velcro to the groin to better secure the cord piece. Hopefully the weather will cooperate later and I'll be able to bribe Avelin to take some outdoor pictures of me!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #152 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Sweet!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #153 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:43 PM »
This is all looking awesome, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Tal Akaan

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #154 on: Apr 02, 2019, 11:13 PM »
So glad to see this build is wrapping up and almost ready for submission! Everything looks great Slade! Great Job!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
Re: Return of the Slade pre-app update, photodump
« Reply #155 on: Apr 03, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Thanks guys, managed to get some pictures outside today, fortunately it's sunny, if considerably windy. My strill was very interested in what was going on, as you can see in some of the pictures. Didn't realize that my dang shoulder plates were not level and the buckle of my girth wrap wasn't centered D:, so I'm guessing I'll have to retake them again before I can submit but here's a sizeable photodump.

First shot was in shadow, so we moved to where we could get the best light. Unfortunately, city living means being surrounded by triple deckers at the best of times.

Anyone note anything that needs fixing other than the shoulders and girth?

Edit: Apparently I posted the wrong back picture, Avelin said that one was crooked, so here's the good one :P

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019, 05:39 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #156 on: Apr 03, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Looking good!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #157 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:05 PM »
nothing else jumping out at me vod -- be sure we can see your whole face for the bucket off shot ;) Gotta see the pretty.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #158 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Looking good!
Thanks!
nothing else jumping out at me vod -- be sure we can see your whole face for the bucket off shot ;) Gotta see the pretty.
Huzzah! So come tomorrow after work when the sun deigns to grace us with her presence once more I'll retake the standard app shots with the shoulders and girth set properly, and make sure to pull the balaclava for the bucket off shot :D.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #159 on: Apr 03, 2019, 11:07 PM »
If you can I'd also recommend hanging a solid colored blanket or sheet behind you to provide a backdrop.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #160 on: Apr 04, 2019, 06:53 PM »
So, I was unable to hang a backdrop, as there was really nowhere to do so outside and nowhere in my apartment I could get straight on full body shots D:. But I did manage to shift the table next to the shed so I could stand in front of a semi-neutral background. I've been messing with my helmet padding trying to get everything straight, but struggling a bit thanks to my jacked up spine :P. I think I've gotten it about as good as I'm going to with the time constraints, so I'm going to shoot the app through and hope for the best. I want to give you all my heartfelt thanks for all of the help you've given me through this rebuild, although it had some ups and downs with the crash and all. I couldn't have made it this far without all of your support  :)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #161 on: Apr 04, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Good luck, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #162 on: Apr 04, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Thanks vod! :D And, of course now that I've sent pictures off I think I've sorted my padding issue to get the helmet as straight and centered as possible :P

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #163 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:43 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing that "retired" fall off your profile... ;D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #164 on: Apr 05, 2019, 02:12 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing that "retired" fall off your profile... ;D
100% agree... Now if we can just get Jett to app...

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #165 on: Apr 05, 2019, 02:53 AM »
I'll app before he does.

Good luck vod, can't wait to have you back in the fold.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #166 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Thanks guys :). I appreciate all the support :D

Now, for the immediate upgrades!

I mentioned previously how I lucked out and the 'antique bronze' chicago screws matched my armor color. Well, turns out there are buckles in the same color :D.

I've replaced all of the buckles on my kit with them, and replaced the snaps on my holster straps with buckles for ease of wear and overall appearance. Best thing is they come in like four sizes with the pack I got, so I could just reuse the same straps.

So, also in true Slade fashion, I decided I didn't like an armor part's look and started to completely replace it :P.

I didn't like the way the modern shoulders looked with the Legacy. They don't look bad exactly, but I just feel like the shape interrupts the flow, so I decided to draw up a shoulder bell based on the actual Legacy style. Since my trusty hitachi metal shear died last month, I've been using the jigsaw with metal cutting blades. My dishing stump has that unfortunate split in it, but is still going strong. These are definitely the deepest-dished plates I've ever worked on  :o. I was able to cheat a bit by using the plastic/rubber mallet to dish, leaving less deformity on the other side of the plate, but my arm is definitely feeling the planishing burn. I have some more sanding to do, but Avelin finished her work-from-home-work so I'm pausing to help her get sorted. I'll finish sanding tomorrow, might need to do a little more mild planishing, and then I just need to dremel the edges and cut out the notches on the bottom and paint and mount them :D. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #167 on: Apr 06, 2019, 01:07 AM »
Focus on your wife Slade :p Also, be sure to get your upgrades approved by your Ruus, should your submission photos be approved.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #168 on: Apr 06, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Focus on your wife Slade :p Also, be sure to get your upgrades approved by your Ruus, should your submission photos be approved.

Thanks for the backup Sep!  ;D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #169 on: Apr 06, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I was waiting for her to finish working! :P and I will reach out to the Firaxan ruus'alor if my app is approved, and if not the new parts will be in the new app photos :D

Edit: did Avelin's updated pics fully kitted up,  and finished the shoulders.

They're currently in the paint hood getting a basic paint job, purple and red this time. More pics later probably.

Also, anyone going to celebration that wants to link up, we'll be by the booth plenty and also feel free to PM me if you want to exchange contact info

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2019, 05:53 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #170 on: Apr 07, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Quick quick,  final alteration before packing it up for celebration, I successfully finished the new shoulders!

Simplistic paint job for now, I'll be stripping and redoing then with sigils once I'm official!

The Chicago screws have been painted to match the plates, clear coat drying now.  Shortly I'll be laying it all out to make sure I have everything, then packing it up for transport!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #171 on: Apr 07, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Looks good! You'll be back and official in no time!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #172 on: Apr 08, 2019, 09:50 PM »
:D :D  :boba:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #173 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:07 PM »
I got my approval email today!  :D :D. The team suggested I tailor the flight suit arms a bit, which isn't unexpected, so I have a specific goal for when I get home from celebration.

Edit: and,  to reiterate what I said before, I really could not have done it without all of your support, advice and encouragement. Y'all rock

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019, 11:15 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #174 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:41 PM »
YES!!!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!