Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Maul Mando Grunt

• 16 Replies

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
WIP Maul Mando Grunt
« on: Mar 12, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Hello all illbe putting  put up and document my maul death watch grunt...i think there is no crl for the grunt varients so ill use this as my refrence for approval and crl if needed..
so here is the one im doing.

What has been done already:
Vest- vinyl has been made(by myself) and working on finishing putting on velcro for plates- Sidenote: never done velcro for personal kit. alwasy did nut and bolt so the plates are always in alignment; velcro so far is nice but im alwasy worried about alignment.. i sewed the velco on my vest and used industrial sticky on the plates... HELPFUL HINT WITH VELCO... USE SOFT SIDE ON SOFT PARTS AND PART SIDE ON HARD PARTS>>ill post up picks of my vest in the next post

Flight suit.. im using a red cap black flight suit. the pockets have been removed and the side pockets that go into the jump suit have also been sewn shut. the thigh pockets were cut and the pant seem was opened and extra pocket material was removed and sewn back to gether.. and i also highly and strongly suggest taking in the arms and legs so ther are not so baggy give a more lithe look and look more canonly correct IMHO. i still have to go to a thrift store and buy a short sleeve black dress shirt. since the death watch have double shoulder.

Plates: ive had these plates for when i was still with Wolves.. i started this project so i could go with Vinny who has the Obi-Wan undercover mando the plates are already sanded down, formed, and painted, and in some state of weathering.. i need to make thigh and holsters, shins, boot armor.. not that hard at all just takes time.. all armor is in 6mm i think it gives the proper astetic for the costume its self

Helmet: is in the work and on the way soon. will update with pics

Jetpack: is in the works and on the way soon. will update with pics

Gauntlets: i was given a extra set of vac formed death watch gaunts. they do need to be modified to have the correct toppers. will make it out of sintra and Evercoated then painted. also have the communicator ready to go as well. will also make hand gaunts as well out of sintra since its super easy to do.

Boots: i will pick up the palladium grey boots off of amazon.

Now that the general jist is laid out i will post pictures and document the work

your only as good as the man next to you!

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
CC-41255 Commander Wolffe
Wolves of Mandalore Founding officer
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: WIP Maul Mando Grunt
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2018, 03:16 PM »
in this post ill show what stages all my parts are in right now..

My knees and gaunt.. i was gifted extra piece of vac formed armor and its still in waiting for filler or needs to be cut out and put back together.. but its a start

and here is my jump suit.. hard to see the tailored arms. held off on the leg part until i finish the thighs/holsters

And here is progress pics of my vest (using velcro) i know spacing isnt where i want it to be and the weathering isnt done on all the pieces but you will get the idea.

ill keep working today and finish up the vest..
picking up my leather girth belt later today.

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Hey, going to comment to follow along. I think I currently may be the only Death Watch Maul Grunt cleared in Brigades (the UK also has Brigade cleared captain), so I hope you take anything I raise as just coming from months of research and wanting to help others achieve it too.

If you want access to my references folder please let me know, I will be happy to share.

First up, I think you have a good plan in place, but one thing I will say is that I don't believe that cod is the TCW style plate (I have suggested the same to some of the others out on the west coast I have seen making this kit).

If you look the cod is really quite 3D, and has the protruding sides and under-cup, it is almost pyramid like.
There is also no evidence that I have ever been able to find that suggested there is a secondary layer over the top either.

Good catch on tailoring the flight suit, they really are "snug" in the animations. If you want to take it one step further than mine (as this is a future upgrade plan for me when I redo the flightsuit), you will notice that the sleeves actually come out the front of the gauntlets. Once it was pointed out to me I realised it is actually in nearly every reference image I have. This is normally a CRL failure, but as this is a canon the source material clearly shows it.

I am personally not sold on the vest being anything other than a canvas style material. There isn't a reference shot I can find that shows it as a "shiney" reflection in the show to give it credit as "leather like". The vest always looks to have a similar shine and texture as the flight suit, and its quite accepted that it isn't a leather flight suit. Something like this however I imagine will need brigade team guidance on.

Out of interest what is your plan on how to approach the layering and weathering of the chest plates? These guys are filthy, and really beat up, it is something I need to look at refining even further on mine. Especially with the random bits of red on the ab plates.

If you check my "Akii'su" WIP  in my signature I tried to document my build as much as possible, including how I hand built all of the thigh plates etc. I believe it gives a truer size being able to scale them to your own thigh rather than a vac formed one (the holster boxes always seem oversize in proportion).

Cannot wait to see where you go next :D

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Wonder who gave you those knees and gauntlets?  They must be really cool! :laugh: 8)

I’m all seriousness, excited to watch your build :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Hey, going to comment to follow along. I think I currently may be the only Death Watch Maul Grunt cleared in Brigades (the UK also has Brigade cleared captain), so I hope you take anything I raise as just coming from months of research and wanting to help others achieve it too.

If you want access to my references folder please let me know, I will be happy to share.

First up, I think you have a good plan in place, but one thing I will say is that I don't believe that cod is the TCW style plate (I have suggested the same to some of the others out on the west coast I have seen making this kit).

If you look the cod is really quite 3D, and has the protruding sides and under-cup, it is almost pyramid like.
There is also no evidence that I have ever been able to find that suggested there is a secondary layer over the top either.

Good catch on tailoring the flight suit, they really are "snug" in the animations. If you want to take it one step further than mine (as this is a future upgrade plan for me when I redo the flightsuit), you will notice that the sleeves actually come out the front of the gauntlets. Once it was pointed out to me I realised it is actually in nearly every reference image I have. This is normally a CRL failure, but as this is a canon the source material clearly shows it.

I am personally not sold on the vest being anything other than a canvas style material. There isn't a reference shot I can find that shows it as a "shiney" reflection in the show to give it credit as "leather like". The vest always looks to have a similar shine and texture as the flight suit, and its quite accepted that it isn't a leather flight suit. Something like this however I imagine will need brigade team guidance on.

Out of interest what is your plan on how to approach the layering and weathering of the chest plates? These guys are filthy, and really beat up, it is something I need to look at refining even further on mine. Especially with the random bits of red on the ab plates.

If you check my "Akii'su" WIP  in my signature I tried to document my build as much as possible, including how I hand built all of the thigh plates etc. I believe it gives a truer size being able to scale them to your own thigh rather than a vac formed one (the holster boxes always seem oversize in proportion).

Cannot wait to see where you go next :D

Thanks for all the knowledge in that post..where to start
for the weathering i went with how my friend (sto las-in Wolves of mandalor did his DW) its black primer and then feathering of a silver then knock the sheen and thin the coat with some sand paper. the red i also feathered on until what i thought was good coverage. then knocked it down like before.. i noticed i may have took too much of the red on the chest plates.. so i may go back and put some more red on..obviously paying attention to where weathering spots are on the armor of the grunt..then of course a good use of black wash to really grime it up.. once its pretty close i could seal it up with matte clear coat. ive never used it before on my kits but i know other people with specific paint details clear coat it.. i also have a airbrush and may try to put the small spots of red on the ab playe or spots of silver.. its all trial and error at this point.. im still in the lets get it all attacked and correct before spending alot of time on the details that need more attention.

the cod.. i really think you are right. i overlooked that. my group here just ordered a bunch of KW DW kits so ill look at thier cods and either add to it or redo it..

the vest.  i went off what i know of other approved DW kit in MMCC and 501st.. i had the vinyl laying around.. it is the non shiny marine grade vinyl. i hope it doesnt become a hastle.

Sleeves.. yes i caught that while digging through refrence photos of the sideways palm maul mando..i dont think that will a prob but def will be in my app photos.

Please Please Please keep sending advice and critiques.. im still in the earlish phases of this build and would like to avoid a set back later one...

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Wonder who gave you those knees and gauntlets?  They must be really cool! :laugh: 8)

I’m all seriousness, excited to watch your build :)

they are super duper cool ... totes obvs.. thanks again,
 ill keep plowing away at this until i hit a major road block..

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:34 PM »
they are super duper cool ... totes obvs.. thanks again,
 ill keep plowing away at this until i hit a major road block..

Of course :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Hey kingpickles!

This is looking really good.  Hik'aari has some really good info, and looking at the references I agree with his assessment.  As far as the vest goes, it's really tough to tell from an animation standpoint, what exactly they're made of.  So long as your vinyl material isn't a ridiculous high gloss ( :laugh:) I think you'll be fine. You can always weather it down to get a more muted finish.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2018, 01:19 PM »
i fully agree.. on this im going to try to work on today is back to the flight suit.. and removing the buttons on the cuffs and putting in elastic to 1. get rid of the button, and 2. to make a closure and keep the astetic

Cod.. i have been looking at pics of the cod i totally see what has been mentioned and i think i can save the cod i have with alittle sintra and filler..

will update with progress,

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Nice build with lots of very good advice, but shouldn't it be in the Rebels/TCW section? ;D

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:50 PM »
if it is... can be moved?

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:27 PM »
I can move it for you.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:19 AM »
some updates for everyone..

First: THE COD... i took the advice that was given and cut a wedge out of the bottom of the cod.. heated up and reformed the side so it looks like the animated version and more 3d.. needs to be filled and then repainted and weathered but looks a lot better
Pics... first one is before the reform with just the wedge cut out

And after the reform and fixing of the tip just need to bondo and repaint

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Finally finished all my front plates.. need to double check weathing marks and maybe have to repaint some red..
im happy with it so far.. of course any advice would be greatly appreciated

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Hey, have been looking over my reference pics for you. I think your armor paint is a good starting point but potentially now needs another layer of detail put over the top. These are the clearest chest images I have of the diag handprint grunt (without going into the episode to find more)

If you look around the bottom edge of the collar and top edges of the chest there is a lot of "through to metal" weathering. The collar on the right side of photo has quite a large area in the corner weathered away.

The same with the shoulders too. Your right shoulder looks to be missing all of the weathering patterns, which is quite heavy in the image. As is the left to a lesser extent.

The ab plate has a lot of red paint detailing on it, plus the areas of lighter "grey" where it has weathered through to the metal.

Am I right in thinking you have a black primer layer? This could be why your weathering has removed red, but not got through to silver.

For some of the "blackening" weathering what I found worked well was to mist on some black spray paint, then use some wire wool to pull through it causing some scratches. Then selectively mist some more on. It helps build up the weathering in "layers". It takes time but works quite effectively.

I have also noticed that you are missing the two recessed areas in the left chest plate, which is a distinctive part of this kit.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

kingpickles

• Phkulz Jaro
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2018, 02:54 AM »
Hey, have been looking over my reference pics for you. I think your armor paint is a good starting point but potentially now needs another layer of detail put over the top. These are the clearest chest images I have of the diag handprint grunt (without going into the episode to find more)

If you look around the bottom edge of the collar and top edges of the chest there is a lot of "through to metal" weathering. The collar on the right side of photo has quite a large area in the corner weathered away.

The same with the shoulders too. Your right shoulder looks to be missing all of the weathering patterns, which is quite heavy in the image. As is the left to a lesser extent.

The ab plate has a lot of red paint detailing on it, plus the areas of lighter "grey" where it has weathered through to the metal.

Am I right in thinking you have a black primer layer? This could be why your weathering has removed red, but not got through to silver.

For some of the "blackening" weathering what I found worked well was to mist on some black spray paint, then use some wire wool to pull through it causing some scratches. Then selectively mist some more on. It helps build up the weathering in "layers". It takes time but works quite effectively.

I have also noticed that you are missing the two recessed areas in the left chest plate, which is a distinctive part of this kit.

nope you are totally right and dead on.. everything you have mentioned has been on my mind already.. the recessed slot on the chest plate im going to take to my shop and work on it.. im actually really happy that you keep checkng up on on me to make sure its golden

update.. my armor spacing on the vest was off i didnt put the collar high enought.. it was about 3/4 inch short i reset the collar and it looks alot better. now im current idea is to make sure the plates are in the correct location an then go back and add to the paint and weathing( exactly like mentioned)

MMCC #1255  Mandagalaar
Kilted Mando #27
Cabur Akaata #21

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2019, 02:37 PM »
commenting to follow!

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!