Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first armor

• 30 Replies

Spiderrider1

• A fun guy wanting to be a very cool mando.
Re: My first armor
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Thank you for the advice and it's plenty hot in Florida. I'm also not the strongest either. But do you use hammers and an anvil?

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Do you think the vendor will actually talk to me about it?

K'raam is a very nice dude. ;) I know that he does Modern plates, so I'm not sure about Late Crusader plates -- but it never hurts to ask!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Thank you for the advice and it's plenty hot in Florida. I'm also not the strongest either. But do you use hammers and an anvil?

When I first started out I had a block of wood and a single hammer. Made my knee plates with that and they're still on my kit nearly five years later. Now I have a selection of hammers and an anvil (and several blocks of wood).

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2018, 10:26 PM »
So the really hard part about metal armor is getting the tools. Like Kris, I started out with a piece of wood and a single hammer. You can do 22gauge steel with tin snips to cut it out and a dremel for cleanup, a piece of 2x4 with a scoop cut out for dishing and one ballpeen hammer, then you really want something to planish it against, either an anvil (you can get a small one for like $50) or the like. I recommend checking out Beviin's tutorial videos, which are listed in the tutorials section, as well as checking out the Warmaster's Workshop videos, which the chief posts on the mercs youtube page.

With minimal tools, it's a much longer process, but that all depends on how well you pick up the knack for it. I can tell you right now, after about a decade's experience, I could knock out a full kit in a little over a week if I didn't have anything else to do. Doing it in my spare time around work and such, it's taken me a little under a month to get all of the cutting, shaping and cleanup done on a full metal modern era set. Add in the extra plates from a crusader set (which I will be doing in the coming months) and it'll probably be about six weeks all told. That's not counting painting and such, of course.

Sintra is a lot faster and easier, and you can pick it up at Home Depot these days. They carry pvc sheets in 6mm (1/4 inch) format, and komatex (fpvc, practically the same thing) in 3mm (1/8 inch). You can also work sintra with a $20 heatgun and a razor knife, plus some sandpaper, compared to the tools you need for the metal work.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Spiderrider1

« Reply #29 on: Apr 05, 2018, 11:20 PM »
Hmm thank you for the advice.

Spiderrider1

« Reply #30 on: Apr 07, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Could I make my backplate into something like a backpack or an RTO of some sort.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!