Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Javixx' Trall WIP

• 20 Replies

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
Javixx' Trall WIP
« on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Hey everybody, I'm Byonic. I live on the Island and enjoy all sorts of geeky and cool stuff. I was really inspired after going to my first Con this weekend and seeing your booth at Capital City Comic Con. I already have a bit of experience making armour and props but would really enjoy learning from the experienced hands here.

Currently, this is my concept for my Mando:

I plan on using AntMan's tutorial on the DentedHelmet for my bucket
https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/antmans-second-cardboard-scratch-build.8853/

And I think that I have sufficient experience to fumble my way through the rest of the armour. I'm a bit concerned about the soft bits because though I do have a sewing machine I don't have much experience sewing or making any real adjustments to clothing. In the end, I'm really excited to start this and eventually stand with you guys. I'd love to hear any critique, criticism, and advice you might have.  :D

PS: Here are some Photos of my cut-out templates.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
Re: Javixx' Trall WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Oh wow, you are already on your way to becoming OM!

I absolutely love the colors you've got going on as well :D

Garden Geek is great with sewing so she could prob help you out with that ;)

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Glad to see that you made it to the boards!

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2018, 11:36 PM »
Welcome to the boards! 8)

Love the colours you're going with, too! (Someday) I'll have a similar scheme going on ;)

For starters, it's best if you can post a pic with those templates taped to ya so we can assess the fit and shape before you go cutting up your sintra. I'll also mention that you will probably have to wait until after you're official before you paint up the clan logo on your back, as I think that's a no-no for UMs (at least as far as I'm aware, so I mention it to be on the safe side)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Talren Adira

• Awards 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:08 AM »
Welcome to the Forums! Glad to see you found us!
I am excited to see your build go forward and Serim was correct, sadly no clan logo until approved, that being said though it seems your off to a fantastic start!
Also, I echo what every one else is saying.. those colours are gonna be awesome!

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:35 AM »
Good to know just thinking about the future. Will try to get the templates fitted tomorrow.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

WolfofWinter

• Sho'cye Buurenaar-
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Welcome Vod!
I'm down in Vic every day for work and I can swing by and help you out if you need it!  Great start!!

Hunt or  be Hunted
MMCC# 1971
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #126
New Death Watch Order #45

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Here's the fit of the templates. I think they're pretty good. The ab plate ends on by belly button.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:08 PM »
They look like they might be too wide to me.  If you cant hold your arms straight ahead like Frankenstein without bending them, you might want to trim them a bit

Late Crusader WIP

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:56 PM »
So should I adjust just the collar or all of the them? Maybe print out a smaller size?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:06 PM »
your collar can not be more than about an inch wider than the chest, but we're still working with paper and can always cut it down later.   Try just trimming a bit off the outside of each chest plate to make them a little more narrow and see what that leaves you with

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Yeah, I'd say about a 1/2" or so off the outsides (maybe only a 1/4" off the ab plate, if that still leaves it lining up properly). Definitely look good up and down, and the space for you neck looks just right ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2018, 03:49 PM »
your collar can not be more than about an inch wider than the chest, but we're still working with paper and can always cut it down later.   Try just trimming a bit off the outside of each chest plate to make them a little more narrow and see what that leaves you with
The templates are still in progress. It'll probably be better for the plates to be a bit too big and I'm able to cut them down than too small and I have to restart. Anyways, I started to get some actual production done, starting with my flak vest. I was at Walmart and I saw 3 square meters of synth leather for 10 bucks so I picked it up. I used this tutorial to make the pattern.
https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/flak-vest-tutorial-draft-your-own-pattern.3550/
After some trial and error, I got the patterns made.

And then I cut it out with some scissors and sewed it up.

I'm not quite happy with how messy the stitching is but for my first big sewing project, I think it went well. Still have to pattern and sew on the shoulders. The back collar sticks up too far but I don't really know how to fix that besides starting over. Here's a fit pic.

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:46 PM »
ByonicTao- keep in mind that a lot of your vest will be covered by armour anyway :D Also, you can always upgrade your kit down the road!

Personally, i think you did a great job!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the fabric  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!