Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Amaran mando build

• 31 Replies

Taruk

Amaran mando build
« on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:39 PM »
(Really hoping these images show, otherwise bear with me and Iíll fix it!)

Iím tackling my first build and Iím already going metal. Having a husband in aviation airframe mechanics so why not? Iím primarily a creature fabricator so of course Iím going with something non human/humanoid. The vulpine Amarans and the felidae Togorian were two that came to my interest, but Iíll be sticking with the Amaran.

Hereís two early concept sketches for both species. Iíve done enough costumes to know well enough these wonít stay as they are for long.

Ignore the spacing on the Togorian armor, it was a quick concept to get the idea down.

Creature builds are no strangers to me so Iím comfortable with going either direction with little concern for Ďcartooní. 3 big cats and a fox for a small idea of what the Togorian and Amaran could look like.

I had also included a bucket design with a modified open face based off of the Staulker design. HOWEVER after wandering several threads on a similar topic, I will be working to making it a full faced helmet and T visor.

I did the patterning off of a duct tape dummy. Trying on the tape templates I did notice they were a little wider than I wanted. I narrowed it down a tad before transferring onto 3003 .063 aluminum.

I then set to beating the shoulder guards out of .025 and .040 and rounding them into shape via hammer. Would an English wheel be easier? Yeah. Iím not ready to shell out $300 for a tool (yet Iím totally ready to spend roughly that on supplies...)

The vambraces will be getting a leather layered guard on the underside and the tops of the fingers their own separate armor. I cut these out of the .040 and gave them to the husband to grind and bend for me. Sure beats using a vice and a block of wood!

Iíll be patterning out the shin, foot, thigh, and back plates next week. The Kama and loincloth will be leather. Weapon wise Iím thinking Hecate II style rifle, some blaster, and a sword for melee later down the road.

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 11:02 PM by Taruk » Logged

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Amaran mando build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Heyo! I was commenting on some of your stuff on the RPF fb group. Glad you found the forums  :D

So these concepts are looking awesome. Plate size looks like it might be a little on the large side, but that's ok in the template stage. A straight on pic would help a bit more.

The only major issue I see is you helmet design. Per CRLs, you must have a full helmet that is easily recognizable as mandalorian. Your concept with the muzzle sticking out is unfortunately a no-go. It must be fully encased.

He/Him Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 31

Taruk

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Heyo! I was commenting on some of your stuff on the RPF fb group. Glad you found the forums  :D

So these concepts are looking awesome. Plate size looks like it might be a little on the large side, but that's ok in the template stage. A straight on pic would help a bit more.

The only major issue I see is you helmet design. Per CRLs, you must have a full helmet that is easily recognizable as mandalorian. Your concept with the muzzle sticking out is unfortunately a no-go. It must be fully encased.

Yeah I forgot to update that part about the helm. Iím going to be reworking it to fit a full face (I mentioned it on my post in the concepts but failed to fix here.)

I also narrowed those plates up just after those shots since they really do need to make a bit more of a V line along the abdomen. My brother is in one of the crews out west, that was the first thing he saw too lol.

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:24 AM »
This looks really cool, yo. I love that first helmet design, too bad about the CRLs. I will be watching this with much interest.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Sounds good then  :D excited to see more progress

Taruk

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:11 PM »
This looks really cool, yo. I love that first helmet design, too bad about the CRLs. I will be watching this with much interest.

Thatís why I went ahead and came up with a concept a bit more CRL friendly. :D

Taruk

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2018, 10:40 PM »

Couldn't find where my clever self placed my belt so I'm working with a sash for the concept only. Getting the soft parts around. The flight suit has been tailored and the Kamas/loin cloth were put together tonight. Weathering all of this will be fun. I have a clip holding one side of the flak vest together. All soft parts are made of leather, 3-4 oz goat skin. I will mount the armor once it's made. The helmet is for placement only, mine is in the process of being made.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11:45 PM »
Posted on your in-clan thread too.  :laugh:

Where are we on the plates? I know you mentioned that you're having them fabricated currently, but I want to make sure we're good to go on that end before you get to the point of no return.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 65 Official Invasions

Taruk

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Posted on your in-clan thread too.  :laugh:

Where are we on the plates? I know you mentioned that you're having them fabricated currently, but I want to make sure we're good to go on that end before you get to the point of no return.

I'm currently having K'raam Xrati fabricate them for me since work has had us doing mandatory overtime and his metal kits were gorgeous. I'll be able to tack them into an approvable position before riveting them to the leather. The armor was something I wanted to do just right. You can find his sales thread for reference here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=61771.0

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Glad to see you back at this!

Everything is looking nice

Taruk

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2018, 06:11 PM »

Finalized the strapping on the flak vest. I had forgotten I need to do a neck seal so I'll get that patterned next. Really happy with this vest. First time making apparel with thin leather (I'm used to working with thicker tooling leather) and I'm very happy with the result. There's a hidden short zipper in the back to make it more fitted and both sides have a mix of button closures and hidden strap magnets. Makes for easy getting in and out solo in case of emergency.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Fantastic job!!

Taruk

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 10:35 PM »

I tackled a soft part I had completely forgotten, the neck seal! It's light and very comfortable. Good with and without a balaclava. It attaches in the back via magnets since I'm not always a huge fan of Velcro. Up next will be fine adjustments and weathering.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018, 08:24 PM by Taruk » Logged

Taruk

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2018, 08:55 PM »
@Mi'ix the armor pictures were sent to me today and I'm esctatic! He did a brilliant job and the color is perfect.

Moving into what armor I have here. I need to order more buckles but in the meantime, the vambraces are all assembled and the leather cuff is secured. I would love to wesponize these sat some point when I have a drill press available again.

UPDATE: JULY 4

Added straps and finished filling in the gauntlet to make them a fully enclosed set. Aluminum hand shaped with hand set rivets.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018, 08:51 PM by Taruk » Logged

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Very nice! Beautiful work  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!