Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Amaran mando build

• 31 Replies

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Amaran mando build
« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Love your creature builds there, looking forward to seeing how you work a helmet around the heads though.

Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Taruk

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2018, 10:20 PM »
The armor is getting fitted to the flak vest, tape holding it temporarily. The helmet will be last since I'm waiting on the real one to arrive. Should be soon!

For reference, the flak vest comes to just above the belly button.

Here it is on a few weeks back for a short test fit of everything. The dummy I think is closer to the proper positions.

The diamond is getting resized, hence why it's missing in the first shot. The edges will be rounded when I drill it for rivets and magnets. I've been slowly shrinking the armor set since I am crazy tiny lol.

Lastly, the blaster has been getting some work. The optic is off to my brother getting some alterations and color. He did the paint on the blaster (soon to be weathered by me) to look like a repurposed Storm trooper weapon.

Gotta hurry, less than a month before the event!

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2018, 12:56 AM »
Unfortionately, the metal overlay you have on your backplate and collar isn't going to fly as-is. The overlay itself isn't the problem, but the metal you used is far too thin to hold up to trooping, and the wrinkling seen where you tried to flatten out the bend line would need to be smoothed out. The thinnest aluminum i recommend using, based on my own experiances building an aluminum kit, is 14ga (~.06) (steel you can safely go all the way down to 18ga). Yours looks like flashing that has been flattened out, which is typically no heavier then 26ga (and based on years of doing metal roofing and flashings, this looks to be closer to 28ga). If you want to keep the overlay, you will need to get thicker metal and rework the pieces in that. It is more work, but quite doable and the results will be much better.

Taruk

« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Unfortionately, the metal overlay you have on your backplate and collar isn't going to fly as-is. The overlay itself isn't the problem, but the metal you used is far too thin to hold up to trooping, and the wrinkling seen where you tried to flatten out the bend line would need to be smoothed out. The thinnest aluminum i recommend using, based on my own experiances building an aluminum kit, is 14ga (~.06) (steel you can safely go all the way down to 18ga). Yours looks like flashing that has been flattened out, which is typically no heavier then 26ga (and based on years of doing metal roofing and flashings, this looks to be closer to 28ga). If you want to keep the overlay, you will need to get thicker metal and rework the pieces in that. It is more work, but quite doable and the results will be much better.

Aircraft grade aluminum alloy actually. It helps having a husband in airframe mechanics. I get to pilfer the scrap bin.

Armor wise, I noticed the leather stretched a little to contour, but in doing so it spread the pectoral plates slightly ascew. I will be fixing that before the app is sent in.  I also noticed the waist belt would ride up a little and tuck under my back plate. My armor never touched my pouches and after seeing so many MMCC kits with the belt under the back plate, I'm not sure if that's ok or not?

It's been all cleaned up since that shot and hopefully the pictures will come through, especially the videos. I took the kit to Salt Lake Comicon this last weekend for a test run and I'm very happy with the comfort of it all. Incoming, image heavy!!

View My Video

I have some small adjustments to make and some details I want to add in. The Digi feet will be coming later before I apply, but this was just from the con prep.

I plan on modding a regular helmet and with my small frame, proportions will be a snap. My bicep plates, thigh plates, and foot plates are missing at the moment, those are going to be done when I do the feet. I also need to pick up a larger satchel or pouch for my Aker. I would like to do some claw caps for the ends of the gloves as well, just as an added touch. The blaster was done up by my brother in law and lacks weathering. It's too clean for my liking.

On the back of the waist belt you'll notice a bone 'dragon tooth' knife. It was a last minute add on since I didn't get the chance to print the one I rendered. Worked very well for the style though.

Painting the rivets will happen in a bit as well. That was one of those little details I didn't get to before the con.

The head has a moving jaw and some LED accents. I have a direct reference for the eye itself and other references for the bionic metal constructions around the eye.

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2018, 06:34 PM by Taruk » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Looks like you are definitely on the right track.

My only major concern at this point is still whatever you used for the accent pieces on your back plate. Regardless of what you used ("aircraft aluminum" doesn't actually tell us much, and the issue is thickness is the issue anyway), it looks extremely thin compared to the rest of what you used, and the forming is not up to your usual standards.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:19 PM »
This looks like it's coming along well! The soft parts are very well executed, and the detail work on the head is intriguing.

In regards to the metal accents on the backplate and collarplate, the issue isnt necessarily the metal type as it is the thickness of the metal itself. Judging by the ways in which some accents have been pinched, it would appear the metal would have issues maintaining its shape, and run the risk of being dinged for quality. I would strongly recommend going up in metal thickness for those accent parts.

I look forward to seeing how this build continues to progress!

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Marking this for future updates  :like:

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Taruk

« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Quite a lot has happened since my last update. My plan for this kit was to have a human version for when the Amaran wasn't best suited so the helmet for that is almost complete. Weathering on the Kamas and loin have begun and I played around with a small idea for an accent with powder effects.  I will probably remove it later.  I'm going to weather the edges a bit more next week. I've also gone over the flak vest with a wash since I didn't like the bright color.

The Amaran feet are complete for the full digitigrade effect. This kit has now been worn a total of 60+ hours and it's holding strong. Thigh armor has been added as well. I need to add the bicep guards for the full heavy armor set up. I need to take down some of the corners a little more on the chest and finalize see gloves. In some shots of the Amaran, I have a temporary set of paws. Used those for an event since my regular gloves had poofed. Pictures incoming.

Kamas

Vest (scrap leather to show original color)

Full body shots at GRCC with the new feet, taken Out 2018:

Helmet shots:

Rough shots of the new thigh armor:

Full body 'human' shots (neck seal wasn't full tucked, I'm going to make the bib for that larger for easier securing). Taken March 2019

There's still some things to fine tune but overall I'm pleased with the progress. I won't be making another kit for some time since this metal kit will last me for a good while. It handles heat and cold well and has taken quite a beating. Most weathering is natural on it. All steel save for the lower arm and shoulder guards.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Wow lots of progress!!! You've done a great job!

A few things that are sticking out

- Looks like your knees and thighs are overlapping quite a bit. the thigh will need to be trimmed or the knees moved down.
- All the rivets will have to be painted
- If I'm seeing it correctly, there may be a zipper on the back of the boots that will need hiding.

You're getting so close!!! If you could take some straight on shots so we could get a better look at your spacing that would be awesome  :like:

Again, great work! The bucket looks awesome.

He/Him Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 31

Taruk

« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Wow lots of progress!!! You've done a great job!

A few things that are sticking out

- Looks like your knees and thighs are overlapping quite a bit. the thigh will need to be trimmed or the knees moved down.
- All the rivets will have to be painted
- If I'm seeing it correctly, there may be a zipper on the back of the boots that will need hiding.

You're getting so close!!! If you could take some straight on shots so we could get a better look at your spacing that would be awesome  :like:

Again, great work! The bucket looks awesome.

I still haven't gotten around to painting those rivets yet, but I've been adding onto the kit to widen my front profile since some folks over on FB mentioned the helmet being a little wide. All steel, aluminum, and leather to keep with the theme, I've done a bicep guards, an upper arm Bandolier, a leather cowl, and a double shoulder pauldron with trauma plates:

The pauldron is entirely modular so if I need to remove the collar piece or the lower shoulder piece (or even the straps) I can.

The alien build is done for the most part aside from the head and the adjustments to the armor. I'm looking to get the human version of the kit approved first before layering in the Amaran so either can be used if needed.

I would love to include the Mithosaur somewhere on the kit but I haven't quite decided just where would be suitable yet. Also, suggestions for items inside the ammo loops would be greatly appreciated!

Editing to add new progress May 11, 2019!

I still haven't gotten around to painting those rivets, reshaping the back plate, or adding additional weathering to the body, but I have included new greaves that tie the newer armor pieces in (as well as keeps the knee plates from overlapping the thighs.

Best part? I can kneel and squat now with ease. Dude, no more chasing knee plates around or worrying about the Velcro from letting go on a hot day. Pictures and a video link inbound!

https://youtu.be/UVA8FzwuMxE

Here's the build for the greaves. 22 gauge steel hand formed then riveted to 8 oz leather. These are very balanced in weight and comfort. I want to make some slight shaping adjustment to them but overall, they cover my boot zipper and don't overlap any of my armor.

There's hot glue from the Velcro I need to remove on my knees. When I did the video and pictures, I didn't realize my shirt underneath wasn't tucked so it's sticking out the back a little.

My neck seal fits comfortably beneath the leather neck pieces. I'm really happy with the overall comfort and flexibility with this kit.

The blaster is being built piece by piece. I acquired a Nerf Longstrike and I'm modelling it off of a few rifles I took a fancy to, including one I have in the photos for reference so you guys can see where I'm going with mine. I prefer long range shooting in real life so it only makes sense to carry that skill over to my kit.

I don't know if the blaster will be ready, but the rest of the kit will be getting another test run next week at Michigan Comicon. This will have given me about 4 conventions under it's belt before app.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:47 PM by Taruk » Logged

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Those greaves turned out AWESOME  :like:

This is really coming together!!!

Taruk

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Those greaves turned out AWESOME  :like:

This is really coming together!!!

Danke!
I tackled back shaping and repositioning of the chest plates tonight, as well as blending rivets as suggested by my ruso.

I've started digging into the final piece as well, the sniper rifle. There's a bit of work to be done to it since its base is a Nerf rifle. I've gutted it so it's not functional, but left the trigger and it's spring there so the trigger actuates. I've been shooting long distance with my dad since I was young so it felt appropriate that my main blaster was a long range rifle.

I've had a few folks suggest I go for a couple brigades such as the Force Hunter or sniper. I wasn't finding much on the requirements for those but I'll worry about that after the app. At the moment I'm just excited to finally be getting so close. The greaves hide the zipper on the boot as well as solve the problem of the overlapping of the knee plate on the though plate. The bare metal on my limbs is growing on me. I had plans to paint them in a way but now I almost want to leave them as they are. It gives me more of the scavenger/rogue/back woods sort of feel I was wanting.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Looking good with the spacing! It's close, but consistent and that's all we ask for  :D

The brigade requirements aren't visible to UM's, but that section will be unlocked for you when you are approved  :like:

The barrel is looking good on the rifle! The body however will need quite a bit more work to be unrecognizable. We suggest getting rid of the triangle silhouettes nerf tends to use, especially in the stock.

Great work so far and I look forward to seeing more!

Taruk

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Looking good with the spacing! It's close, but consistent and that's all we ask for  :D

The brigade requirements aren't visible to UM's, but that section will be unlocked for you when you are approved  :like:

The barrel is looking good on the rifle! The body however will need quite a bit more work to be unrecognizable. We suggest getting rid of the triangle silhouettes nerf tends to use, especially in the stock.

Great work so far and I look forward to seeing more!

Well there's a familiar face, I didn't realize you were on the app team!

I went to town sanding and wet sanding everything smooth, including those triangles you mentioned. I have a scope coming on order so I'm using one of my regular scopes as a temporary place holder.

Also threw some glow to the main body of the rifle.

I need to fill in the wording on the scope mount. Nerf was never too kind when it came to picatinny mounts. If there's any other ideas for modding give me a shout. I'm looking to fill the screw holes tomorrow and prime if I can.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 10:10 AM »
to make this gun less recognizable as nerf, I would suggest filling the jam door, removing the holes you lit up and drilling your own set elsewhere.

Cut out the trigger more to look like a hair trigger (its not being used so doesn't need to be that bulky), fill in the tactical rails and cut them into something more matching what is seen on the rogue one rifles. Add your own sling points and delete the ones on the blaster, fill and smooth.

Modify the stock to be less structured - add some wood accents or fills to change its shape. Better yet, build your own stock for it.

Unfortunately, this is one of the most recognizable nerf blasters out there and can be spotted from a mile away, It takes a ton of work to transform it into something different.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!