Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Havelock Mk II

• 84 Replies

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Havelock Mk II
« on: Mar 21, 2018, 11:06 PM »
It's time to start my Mk II kit.  And, in classic Havelock fashion, I'm so excited about building a kit that I'm starting a WiP early! 

This is the bucket I decided on for Havelock Mk II:

And very recently Krie Takuur - one of Demon Dog Studio's awesome proprietors - messaged me.

"One of these is yours"

I was so excited I had to bite my lip to keep from waking up my kids.  Instead, I did a little dance in my chair.  :laugh:

And while I absolutely love my first bucket, and don't plan to stop wearing it entirely, I have high hopes that my Night Hawk will allow me to wear my glasses and not have the visor squishing my nose down.    Also, I'm quite happy with my current paint scheme, so I figured I'd carry it over to my new kit, starting with, of course, my new bucket.

So, after an hour or so playing around with photoshop, I have my proposed new paint job:

[/url]

And, I ordered a couple of visors from Zarya Arthos' Kalevala Virors.

I couldn't decide between the blue and bronze, so I got both.

More updates will follow.  And I promise that with this WiP I'll actually have more updates, and fewer chatty posts...unless you guys get chatty in my WiP, because I'm totally ok with that!

At any rate, I hope y'all will enjoy, and if you spot any eggregious errors I'm in the progress of making, please don't hesitate to let me know!

And I just got word a couple of hours ago that my new buy'ce has been shipped!  USPS says it should be here by Saturday!  Woohoo!  I have an invasion on Saturday, so I hope it'll be waiting on me when I get home!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21

Darasuum Prudii

• We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.
Re: Havelock Mk II
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2018, 11:15 PM »
I can’t wait to see what you do! I will definitely follow closely!

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Popcorn at the ready Havelock!  What direction are you going with your plates?

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Niiiiiiiice  8) 8) 8)

VampireHunterD

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:39 AM »
Yes!!! So glad you’re sticking with your paint scheme, LOVE IT!!! A bigger, badder Havelock!

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Don't mind me, just getting on board with this.

Nix Vuur

• Formerly 'Nix-Vuur'
  • MMCC 1804
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Nice! Commenting to follow!  8)

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:24 PM »
What program did you use to "paint" that bucket? My colors never look right and I can't get the metallic to look metallic.

By the way, USPS says my nighthawk will get here Friday. Really hoping I'll get mine first just for bragging rights.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Commenting to follow :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278 || Approval Team Director
Custom Armor WIP - Bo Katan WIP

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for checking in, vode.   ;D

Sep, I'm planning on a heavy build.  My desire since my first day on the forum was to have a Force Hunter Brigade-worthy kit.  So I'm going as heavy as possible...without building a metal kit.   :laugh:  6mm sintra for the base, pretty much everywhere, then trauma plates, flank plates, bicep plates, nearly completely enclosed thighs and calves, the works.

What program did you use to "paint" that bucket? My colors never look right and I can't get the metallic to look metallic.

I used Photoshop. Figuring it out was a little on the tricky side, and I have zero doubt at all that there are easier ways to change the colors and make something look vaguely metallic rather than the way I do it.  But I'll give it a whirl.  And for simplicity's sake, I'll use a bit of line art for my guinea pig.

So I'm wanting to change that to a metallic bronze, right?  I'd get some images of bronze and pick the one I like the best. 

In this case I'll pick photo 4 and, using the eyedropper, I'll sample different spots on the sword until I get the color I like the most.  Then use the paint bucket to get this:

Next I use the magic wand tool to select just the armor, then I go to "Filter," select "Noise," then "Add noise..."  Under the Add Noise pop up box, I choose "Amount 5% and select the "Gaussian" option.  Then, still with all the armor parts selected, I choose "Filter>Blur>Blur."  Next up is "Filter>Stylize>Wind..."  In the pop up box I choose "Wind" and, typically, "From the left."  All that gives me this:

For the helmet, specifically, it was a little more complex.  I had to use the pencil tool and outline specific areas, so that when I used the Magic Wand tool, it would grab only the particular areas I wanted.  Had to zoom waaaaaaaay in and draw basically a pixel wide.  Pretty frustrating at times.  But...when I got the Magic Wand tool to select the area or areas I wanted, I then went to "Image>Adjustments>Color Balance...."  Then I fiddled with the RGB sliders until I got the color I wanted and copied down the numbers.  For the bronze, it wound up being "+37 -36 -78."  Then I chose "Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast" and set that to "-17 +19." 

Once I had the color pretty much where I wanted it, I did the Gauss, Blur, Wind thing to make it look metallic.  And voila!

As I said, I'm sure there are far less cumbersome, or at least more effective, ways to doing this, but that's what worked for me. 

I hope that helped, Rogue. 

And...I got inspired to fiddle around and came up with this:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:37 PM »
OOOOOOOOOH, I like it!!

VampireHunterD

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:01 PM »
Mk I kit was awesome, cannot wait to see what you do with this!  ;D

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:17 AM »
Mk I kit was awesome, cannot wait to see what you do with this!  ;D
My thoughts exactly. 
Hey Sep, pass the popcorn. ;D ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jal Korvo

• Ad Be Ca
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:29 AM »
Here to follow. Love catching builds at the start.

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Hopping in here to say 'Hi' and to follow the thread.

And also to chip in a suggestion for experimentation.

On the subject of that Bronze finish - a little thing I've been experimenting with - applying metallic powders to Sintra - to see if I can get a cold cast type of finish to match up with my actual cold cast parts.

Here's a little removable plate I made (we've hooked up with a SW costuming group in the UK whose focus is heavily on charity work and we're going to be joining them from time to time) - this is Sintra, that was painted over first with a polyurethane casting resin that had black pigment and aluminium powder mixed in, and then, while still wet I dumped a heap of aluminium powder on top (wear a respirator if you ever work with metal powders!)

The whole lot was left to cure, then I tipped away the excess and sanded the surface back with some 2000 grit sandpaper and fine wire wool.

I then applied the decal and weathered it in.

But, yep, you can get a real metal finish this way and for the few bucks it will cost you to get a small amount of polyurethane casting resin and a few grammes of bronze powder, it might be worth looking into and experimenting with.

(Oh, and great work on the Photoshop - another suggestion for those plates might be to make the plates sit on a transparent layer and then apply the 'fx' to that layer - muck around with Bevel and Emboss, Satin and Drop Shadow :) )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!