Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Night Owl and Some Concerns

• 9 Replies

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Night Owl and Some Concerns
« on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:09 PM »
I finally took the plunge!
So, in February, I decided to go ahead and purchase myself a helmet to really get this project underway. I particularly liked the look of the night owl style bucket. It finally arrived about a week ago, but I didn't have a chance to post about it until now, so here it is. I haven't got the funds to get paint yet, so it may be a while until this gets painted.  :(

Front

Back

Right

Left

And yours truly dorking around.

Current paint idea

I have a few concerns, like the nubs on both ears, should I make something to cover those? Or maybe remove the one not attached on the rangefinder side? Both? Also, should I cut out the key slots?

As always, everything helps. Please feel free to comment and critique. Thanks!

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018, 12:40 AM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Night Owl and Some Concerns
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I’d remove the nub on the non rangefinder side to get the classic night owl look, but it’s up to you.

As for the keyslots, per crls you do not have to cut them out. If you choose to cut them out, they have to be backed with some sort of mesh. Either way, it’s all about personal taste.  :D

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I am working on a night owl for my wife right now.  I cut out both her key slots as well as the ear cap slots out for ventilation.  She is not a fan of being sweaty  :laugh:  I am stuck on how to handle the range finder as well.  The caps are a little different then the standard Boba ones.....  If i had your bucket i would keep the nub just because i wouln't want to have to cut out the channel below it out.  But if you feel confident in your cutting, do what you think is best  :)

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Frostfyre

• In war, Victory.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I have a Night Owl myself and I cut out the keyslot for my helmet's voice amp speaker located in the back.
As for the non-range finder side, I am going to mirror what Jenga said. Other than that, it's up to you.

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2018, 04:53 PM »
April 1st update, not a joke, promise! ;D
So, going with the majority vote, plus my own, I went ahead and removed the little nub on the left hand side.
I'll be sanding it down a bit and fill in any major issues as I go. Apparently, the ear slits went all of the way up under the nub, so I didn't have to do much in that regard. I'm not sure if I have the tools on hand to cut out the key slots, but I may be able to convince my uncle to help me if he has the things I need. (Apparently he's very excited to help with this project :D)

I have a Night Owl myself and I cut out the keyslot for my helmet's voice amp speaker located in the back.
As for the non-range finder side, I am going to mirror what Jenga said. Other than that, it's up to you.
It never occurred to me to put the speaker in the helmet. I like that idea. What model did you use/would you reccomend?

I am working on a night owl for my wife right now.  I cut out both her key slots as well as the ear cap slots out for ventilation.  She is not a fan of being sweaty  :laugh:  I am stuck on how to handle the range finder as well.  The caps are a little different then the standard Boba ones.....  If i had your bucket i would keep the nub just because i wouln't want to have to cut out the channel below it out.  But if you feel confident in your cutting, do what you think is best  :)
I too, don't like being sweaty. :laugh:

I’d remove the nub on the non rangefinder side to get the classic night owl look, but it’s up to you.

As for the keyslots, per crls you do not have to cut them out. If you choose to cut them out, they have to be backed with some sort of mesh. Either way, it’s all about personal taste.  :D
I tend to like the more traditional look as well, I have no idea why the vendor decided to add that detail. Oh well. ;D

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Frostfyre

• In war, Victory.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:08 PM »

It never occurred to me to put the speaker in the helmet. I like that idea. What model did you use/would you reccomend?

I am using one of Eternal Armory's voice amps right now and I ordered a speaker from amazon and inserted it to give you some ideas. Easy to set up. Feedback can be an issue (Which I am dealt with and trying to figure it out.)

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2018, 05:07 PM by Frostfyre » Logged

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Thanks to the lovely DarthMayhem for his help and tips at the last armor party that he hosted. We got a lot done and the amount of help he gave me was astronomical. He rocks!

My sister modeling.  :D

At home prepping for more color.

Beginning of weathering.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2018, 10:27 PM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:01 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted on this part of the forum, anyways I ordered a voice amp and it should be on its way soon. Hoping I'll be able to find a belt pouch that'll fit it, and not have to make one.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Looks like you've made some good paint progress so far!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Looks like you've made some good paint progress so far!
Thank you! I'll have to post some updated pictures, because I've made the weathering more consistent.

[Edit]

Long awaited update! So, turns out that my clear coat decided to eat the rest of my paint off, so I had to repaint the majority of the dome of my bucket. So in turn, I decided to change it a bit and go almost Bo Katan style with the white, but make it end in a point as opposed to round.

Thoughts? Has this ever happened to any of you? Also, removed the range finder because it was so heavy and kept falling forward. Ill eventually replace it with an antenna though.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2019, 09:15 PM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!