Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Working on my first kit

• 17 Replies

butlerj

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Working on my first kit
« on: Apr 03, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Hi everyone,
I started working on my kit about a year ago. I kind of stopped because work picked up and just forgot to start again after it had calmed down. After participating in a clan function I have started working on it again.

I have a lot of my hard parts done. All that is left is cut out knee armor, adding a visor to my helmet and gauntlets. I am still trying to figure out my a lot of my soft parts. I have my flight suit and have the fabric to start my vest.

Below is what I have done. My ab plate needs to be reshaped because it warped.

I welcome any advice. Especially about using toilet brush holders as gauntlets and possibly attaching/ making a comlink for them.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Working on my first kit
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:24 AM »
For the brush holder gauntlets, I can suggest using a saw to cut the base off, and to open a seam on the in-side. If you have any extra, that seam can be hidden by whatever material you used to make your plates.

Here's mine, as they look now.
And the way they started.

If you don't have a saw, use a Dremel or a utility knife, as a set of snips will likely shatter the plastic, rather than cut it. I found that out the hard way.

BTW, what is your armor made from?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

butlerj

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I love the way yours looks.

I used 3mm sintra for the armor.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Thanks.  :D Four years of wear and tear.
That 3mm sintra will do you just fine, and it should be easy to get the warping out of your ab plate.

Good luck, and good hunting!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

butlerj

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:34 AM »
It has been a little while since my last post but we had an armor party today and made some good progress done on my kit. Got my ab plate reshaped and the back plate most of the way shaped. (Will get the final shape once the vest is complete.)

The helmet finally has its visor in.

The vest is close to being complete. Have to get the snaps installed to hold the shoulders in place and to close the vest. Then have to get correct plate placement figured out before getting the final length of the vest on the bottom.

butlerj

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:59 AM »
While I wait for the next armor party to get my vest complete, I decided to start working on a sword to go with my kit. I am trying to figure out a pummel. Any advice would be great.

butlerj

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2019, 10:25 PM »
It finally got nice out and I started painting my armor.

Now to start getting the last of the velcro added to the flight suit and then  start adding to the back of the plates.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Ooohhh... another potential Traffic Cone! :like: :like:

Did you figure out anything for your sword?  If not, just keep the pommel simple.

butlerj

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Unfortunately I have not figured out the pommel. Work and a request to build a rocking horse for my niece got in the way. I should be getting back to work on that tonight.

butlerj

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2019, 03:40 AM »
Got the bug to want to do some work tonight.

Got the vest complete. The shoulder bells were added and the last of the Velcro was added as well.

Got Velcro added to some of the plates. Ran out, so need to get more.

Got a holster made for my Westar 35.

Finally added the pommel to the sword.

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2019, 03:47 AM by butlerj » Logged

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Loving the colour of your vest Vod. Are you going to weather it along with your kit ?

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

butlerj

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2019, 01:35 PM »
With this being my first time doing any thing with costuming, I have decided to go pristine. It just seemed fitting since I am new to this..

butlerj

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Got some more work done over the last few weeks. Have an armor party coming up on Memorial Day and hope to get some pictures up to show what the kit looks like.

Made a few pouches. I have a fourth cut out and ready to be sewn, but haven't decided it I want a fourth pouch.

Got my Westar painted.

My sword is finally finished.

I have also made a kama and a loin cloth. I will put up pictures of them when I get kit pictures.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Love that blaster!

butlerj

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Thanks. I got it from 3DPrintMercMart back in October and haven't had a chance to paint it until now.

butlerj

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Here are the pictures that were taken at the armor party. My knees decided to break the snaps off, so they are hanging a little low. A few plates are gonna need a little shaping.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Looks good, so far.  A bit more shaping, and fix those knees, and you should be pretty close.

butlerj

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2019, 10:43 PM »
After some time of wrestling with how I was going to attach my knees and fighting the sewing machine to sew the Velcro, I am done with the knees.  So over the weekend, I went over a clanmates house and had a small armor party to get some of the plates reshaped. We also did a mock App picture session so that they could show me what needed to still be done. A few areas on the chest plates that need to come in a bit. The back plates are going to be layered like the legacy plates. The binder clips in the last two pictures are there to show me how much the flight is loose.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!