Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Complete - Mando for $200 or less

• 0 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Complete - Mando for $200 or less
« on: Apr 08, 2018, 08:21 PM »
 This is Sep -- shortly after I got my stripes.   

In terms of tools, this whole kit was built with a $35 dremel, a drill, and a $12 heatgun from harbor freight.  99% of the build was done by me and another friend (noob) before we ever went to an Armor Party, using knowledge  and feedback from the forums.  Got some help taking approval pics and making some small tweaks at an AP at the end.

Kit was made from a 4x8 foot piece of Sintra ($30), but I am STILL making stuff out of that sheet, used less than half the sheet on the kit.

Starting from the top and working our way down:
Helmet- 2 Home Depot Buckets - $10, Harbor Freight Grinding shield and mirroed tint - $6,  Hot glue - $4ish, Bondo and glazing putty $10ish.
Shoulder plates, chest plates, back plate, cod plate, shnees - sintra plus chicago screws and nylon strapping
Gauntlets - Sintra formed around a floral cone from Hobby Lobby with a couple of bucks worth of piano hinge
Vest and Kama - $8 - made from canvas blackout curtains - thrift store find
Black nylon military surplus belt $5
Black nylon pouch - military surplus - $10
Girth belt - $30 worth of paracord, woven by me and a couple of carabiners on the back side
Boots - amazon - $35 -- size 15 were hard to find in a thrift store
Blaster - $22 red ryder bb gun plus $7 in plumbing parts, and some time with a hacksaw to cut down the stock.
Flight suit - $30 or so in scrubs, and the sleeves from an old compression shirt.
*Notes:  If I didn't wear size 15 shoes, or I'd been more patient, I could have thrift stored the boots for $5-$10, and they likely would have been pre-weathered. Going with a sash instead of the elaborate paracord weave probably would have saved me another 25-30 dollars, so then I'd be under $150

So even factoring in the hardware, screws, strapping, etc.  I’m right around $200 into the whole kit.  I am A LOT of time into it…

All my stuff is either a thrift store find modified by me or my friend, or completely scratch built between us. 

NONE of it would have been possible without asking for feedback early and often on the main forums in addition to the Clan.  I have WIPS in both the legacy subsection of the forum and Murran’s clan boards for this reason. 

You CAN do these kits on a tight budget, and meet the CRL's :)  Ask questions before and after you buy, get feedback early and often.  Oya!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!