Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A few small concept changes

• 3 Replies

The Dragon Slayer

• See you space cowboy...
A few small concept changes
« on: Apr 12, 2018, 11:48 PM »
So I changed up my back plate and gauntlet concepts a bit today. I am planning on trashing what I have for the back and i still don't have gaunts made so it ain't that big a deal to me. I am still really set on having a not to Yang's Ember Celica from RWBY, however I've changed it to just an armor plate with no shells and only on the left arm. I want the right arm to be a pretty standard gaunt with a tacpad and a sort of tracker launcher built in. For the back plates, I want to have at least 4 small sectional plates with two jet thrusters on the top shoulder plates. I hope I can use these diamond-like shapes similar to the Gundam Barbatos shape thruster on it's pack. Also, just ignore the fist on the page. Was practicing hands a few days ago. Pictures attached below:

"No matter what happens, don't be sorry you were born. Even though nobody praises us, don't forget to smile in any situation. As long as you're alive there will be better things later...and there will be many." ~Bellemere

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

First kit thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89662.0;topicseen
Hard parts: 70%
Soft Parts: 80%
Weapons: 0%

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: A few small concept changes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Heyo,

So far it looks like you have a solid concept. There are a couple things I'd like to comment on before you get too far, however. For the Ember Celica inspired vambrace, I'd recommend mounting it more like a small buckler shield onto a separate vambrace, rather than having it be the vambrace itself. It'll help to divorce it a bit more from RWBY and bring it more into the realm of SWarzy. To be honest, I looked at your sketch and my mind went "that's Ember Celica", without even reading your post. It's fine to take some inspiration from other universes, but that inspiration needs to be kept very subtle - almost to the point where the viewer has to be blatantly be told that it's present. Pretty much one of those things where I can "borrow" Blake's colour scheme, but the minute I start adding cat ears and a Variant Ballistic Chain Scythe, I've gone from inspiration to crossover.

Backplate-wise, the design should work as long as you have a minimum of 2/3rds of your back covered. For the thrusters, I'm not certain they'll pass muster, especially coupled with the Ember Celica-esque vambrace. It might take you too far into crossover territory at that point. However, if you are set on having them, I'd suggest talking with the App Team, as they'll be the ones making the final call, and your Ruus'alor, as it's their job to help you stay within our CRLs during both initial construction and any additional upgrades. Also, jetpacks are not a required item(unless you're building a canon character), so nothing says you need to have one. However, if you want one, and don't want to use the standard Fett, Deathwatch, or Rebels styles, custom designs are approvable provided they are sufficiently SWarzy. You can also have jetboots similar to Cad Bane, if you'd like.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

The Dragon Slayer

• See you space cowboy...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2018, 02:00 AM »

So I tried to refine the thrusters a bit. Honestly, I don't need them to lool like the Gundam thrusters, my main goal is just to have very discreet looking thrusters on my kit. And with the gauntlet, I'm thinking a potentially removable shield like design such as this:

I figure this way, it can be used for shoots and I can make it work, but it can also be removed for troops and whatnot when it gets uncomfortable or if it's super crowded.

"No matter what happens, don't be sorry you were born. Even though nobody praises us, don't forget to smile in any situation. As long as you're alive there will be better things later...and there will be many." ~Bellemere

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

First kit thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89662.0;topicseen
Hard parts: 70%
Soft Parts: 80%
Weapons: 0%

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:31 AM »
Gauntlets: 

I'm not familiar with the game/show you are referencing in regard to your inspiration, so I'd have to do some research to evaluate how crossover your design is vs. "inspired by"  The usual advice I give folks with crossovers, is  -- start with something that's Mando, then add details from your inspiration to it, rather than starting from your inspiration piece and trying to make it look more mando or swarzy.   Be careful with anything that has sharp points that protrude from your body, especially a part of your body that can move unexpectedly to someone passing you.   Also, in your sketch, your sleeve is visible at the hand end of your gauntlet.  You will need to cover that area with longer gloves, as the CRLs prohibit that.   Right now the overall shape looks a little more "mega man" to me than SW, but sketches are sketches :)

Thrusters: You can have compact, and boxy thrusters  instead of the round rocket style Boba has.  It's a little hard for me to bridge from your reference to your new sketch to see what you actually have in mind for the overall backplate/pack right now, so I think I need more detail to see your vision.  But I think it's totally doable.

Hope this helps Vod!

Sep

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!