Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New concept and rebooted build

• 20 Replies
New concept and rebooted build
« on: Apr 14, 2018, 05:05 PM »
New Year, new inspiration, new bucket and accessories.

Inspiration for colorscheme Planning to do Gunmetal over black with a silver base coat for helmet. Have a chrome visor on order from Kalevala. Will likely light it white for nights. 50-50 on doing a black trench coat instead of back plate for the kit.

Using my 501st boots for time being. May change to a cape in the future. Planning a loincloth for the front.

Have a grey flight suit from my old attempt. Needs tailoring, and I'm still torn on the girth belt or sash. Also is the buckle on the belt cool or will it need to be hidden?

Helmet, Belt, Blaster, Gloves[/url] Lot of 3d printing going on. Working on a second DE-10 presently.

Need to remove the logo by the thumbs, hopefully I can acetone them off. I picked up 2 pairs on clearance because they're comfy.

Any criticisms or comments would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2018, 12:48 PM by BlackTie90 » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: New concept and rebooted build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Other than getting the logos off the gloves, I don't see any issues.  You've got a solid base from which to build your kit, vod.  One thing to keep in mind is that your sleeves "must not protrude from the ends of the gauntlets," so you'll want to plan ahead for that, since those gloves aren't going to cover much - if anything  - past your wrists.

Again, though, you're off to a good start.

Also, you might want to ask the mods to move this to the "Armor Construction" board, since you're kind of in the construction phase.  And if you want some help with including individual pictures in your posts, check out this thread.  There are even instructions for including pics using a mobile device; just keep scrolling down.

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2018, 10:12 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2018, 10:17 PM »
So the suit sleeves can't extend past wrist armor, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm looking into getting the suit tailored as well as different ways to do the flak vest. Fabric is a mystery to me though so those are probably gonna take a good while

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Interesting choice of inspiration. You're off to a good start with the materials you've begun collecting, too. As to the buckle, I'm not sure it's not approveable, but I recommend covering it as there aren't a ton of standard buckle examples in SW that I can think of off the top of my head. Most of them seem to be geometric shapes like Han's belt buckle and the Imperial Officer Buckles. Then you get examples of metal side-release buckles like the ones on Jedi belts. One thing you could do is superglue some velcro around the front edge of the existing buckle, and a little around the belt hole you buckle into, then make a simple rectangular buckle you can velcro right over it.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Interesting choice of inspiration. You're off to a good start with the materials you've begun collecting, too. As to the buckle, I'm not sure it's not approveable, but I recommend covering it as there aren't a ton of standard buckle examples in SW that I can think of off the top of my head. Most of them seem to be geometric shapes like Han's belt buckle and the Imperial Officer Buckles. Then you get examples of metal side-release buckles like the ones on Jedi belts. One thing you could do is superglue some velcro around the front edge of the existing buckle, and a little around the belt hole you buckle into, then make a simple rectangular buckle you can velcro right over it.

It's probably the first piece of superhero media I ever saw as a kid. It's certainly the movie I remember most vividly right down to where it was rented and who rented it for me. Figured it's obscure enough anymore to not have too many people question it.

I was considering wearing the belt with buckle in the back. Or maybe I'll just keep my eyes peeled for something similar to Obi wan or Han's buckles from ANH

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:34 PM »
A suggestion I made to someone else who does wear a buckle like that in the back; you can make a simple buckle out of sintra or something, and put clips on the back (like the style of a money clip) so that it can be clipped over the belt leather and slid into place in case your belt shifts when you buckle it.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Havelock's got you covered on advice for where you are now. You're off to a good start!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2018, 02:16 PM »
A suggestion I made to someone else who does wear a buckle like that in the back; you can make a simple buckle out of sintra or something, and put clips on the back (like the style of a money clip) so that it can be clipped over the belt leather and slid into place in case your belt shifts when you buckle it.

Like a TK or Scout Trooper Thermal detonator? Something to just clip over and hide it... that's certainly doable

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Would there be issues mixing knee armors? I'd like to have one of each of these for the pure aesthetic of not being wholly symmetrical

I'm planning one Rav Bralor style and one Deathwatch style

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Intentional asymmetry is just fine.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Intentional asymmetry is just fine.

Oh that absolutely makes my day. I have a love hate thing with symmetry.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2018, 04:04 PM »
There are some great asymmetrical builds on the boards,  it's when it's accidental that it's problematic.  And IIRC, it's not allowed on chest plates, but you can have 2 different shins, 2 different shoulders (have this on my kit), 2 different knees/boot plates/etc. 

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I really need to get to work on plates and flak vest sooner or later

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Got the left gauntlet mostly printed. Hope it's an alright size.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2018, 02:16 PM »
As long as it's covering 2/3rds the length of your arm from wrist to elbow, or thereabouts, you're good :)  Just be sure to get rid of ALL the print lines by the time you finish paint.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:48 PM »
I'm working on that same gauntlet. April Storm, correct?

I also app'd in with those gloves, still have them, but had to cut the thumb and finger off of them to be able to use a datapad (phone).  One thing you can try is something like this:

I used a section of leather from the arm of a coat that I made my flak vest from. I need to slim them down a bit, as I've lost a little weight.

Good luck, and good hunting.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Heyo,

Just popping in with a couple suggestions on the vambraces. First, for the hinges, get a couple of the wire hangars that dry cleaners use for shirts, cut the bottom cross piece off, sand one end into kind of a point, clamp it in a drill, and use the drill to drive in the hinge, then clip off your excess. Just make sure you have everything lined up properly first, as once it's in, it isn't coming out easily. Secondly, for smoothing your 3D print lines, I'd suggest using wood filler putty. It dries fast, and sands super easy.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing how your build progresses, ner vod.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2018, 12:42 AM »
Heyo,

Just popping in with a couple suggestions on the vambraces. First, for the hinges, get a couple of the wire hangars that dry cleaners use for shirts, cut the bottom cross piece off, sand one end into kind of a point, clamp it in a drill, and use the drill to drive in the hinge, then clip off your excess. Just make sure you have everything lined up properly first, as once it's in, it isn't coming out easily. Secondly, for smoothing your 3D print lines, I'd suggest using wood filler putty. It dries fast, and sands super easy.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing how your build progresses, ner vod.

Been using bondo spot putty for the helmet. Might give wood filler a shot if it smells less like acetone. I hadn't thought of the hanger thing. Been wondering how to do the hinge since I scaled this to 110.08% scale from April's files

« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Got both gauntlets printed and glued up ready for sanding (Ignore the burr ugly right side ran out of good filament colors). Printed a knee and chest diamond for size testing. Second knee on printer now. If the diamond doesn't end up working might make a ring of them as mementos or trophies something like that.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Cool! Makes me super antsy for my new 3d printer to arrive, but I have at least two more months to wait.

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2018, 05:31 AM »
In regard to your belt buckle question, remember than Han Solo wears two belts.  His gun belt has the plain squarish buckle, but the one he wears on his trousers is a standard pin and loop buckle, though his has two pins.
See here:

https://goo.gl/images/wXzKs6

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!