Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Choruk's WIP

• 6 Replies
Choruk's WIP
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Su cuy'gar!

I'm Choruk.

I started a couple kits around 2007-ish, but never got anything done enough to wear. When I graduated college in 2009, I moved from Ohio to Virginia for a few months, El paso for several years, Virginia for 6 months, Georgia for a few years, and now I'm back to Virginia. 

My husband and I decided that we need to settle down, so it's looking like Virginia is going to be home for the foreseeable future. Building my armor was a hobby I really enjoyed in college and thats something I'm going to need as the next couple years goes on, so I'm really excited to get back into things.

I started my current kit in 2012. This is the most current sketch of my armor... Sorry it's sideways, I'm still trying to figure out imgur. The concept is one that I'll need to work with the approval team on... It is sleeveless. I still need to figure out how to add shoulder bells that looks good (and can hopefully be removable for unofficial events) - I've used this armor design since winter 2011. I use it in my drawing book to express my thoughts, feelings, and events around me. So it really means a lot to me. I know there's things I'll need to modify slightly, but I'm hoping to maintain most of the kit as is.

I have quite a bit to do for the actual armor. I have a TK (not sure if he's still a seller here) set of vacuuformed torso plates. I'm thinking that I'm just going to sand my plates down and repaint them (mostly because I'm not sure if I'll be able to match up the green after so long). I still need to cut up the collar for the v- neck plates.

I only started one set of arm plates and they're still very rough. I really think I want to remake the bracers. I originally made them too small and had to add an extra panel. Also they're pretty annoying to take off/put on with the cord ties... The downside is I have several places where I need to use that leather and it's very limited... It's a hand-me-down coat both my brother and I used in highschool.

Shin/knee armor - I have sports armor - I know everyone just heard "dun dun duuuuuun!!!"... I wanted too use them as a mounting platform because I have 2 bad knees, so if I ever kneel or something I have good protection from the ground. I  already have plates cut to cover the shins completely. Still have shaping, Bondo, sanding to do. I need to make a decision on the knees... I kinda want to use the shoulder plates on the knees. I did start another 3piece option, but i remember having problems shaping them to even try to put them together.

The one thing I'll need to find out is if bare plates covering everything sporty will be enough or if I'll need to add greebles or creases to the outer plates.

I made a vest that was awesome, but it was too narrow for my plates. I started remaking one in 2012, but never finished (just need to finish the sides)

One question here... I gained some weight. I haven't tried on the old vest yet to find out how much, but I am going to lose most of it by July. Do I make the new vest to old sizes ( ties at the sides so it's adjutable) or do I make it to my now size and risk it being too big when I get down to my target weight? (the grommets will mean it will have to be remade)

I have a helmet I started many years ago - 1 piece rubies Jango that I extended the mandibles on...  Its still in the moving box... hopefully not damaged. It should just need some sanding, a keyslot plate in the back, tint in the visor then it's ready to paint.

Zarya Arthos

• Formerly 'nebulargirl'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Choruk's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I want to say maybe wait until you are ready for the vest to made to fit you. Or just go with the older sizes, as long as youíre sure that will work for you.

Be sure to modify the shoulder bells before putting them on your knees.

Also itís my understanding that completely sleeveless flight suits arenít approvable. Maybe Kris can chime in here and give you the definite answer on that.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2018, 05:04 PM by Zarya Arthos » Logged
Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Night Owl Society
Sabine S1 WIP

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Shortsleeve flightsuits are approvable, but I'm not 100% sure about sleeveless, either.

I want to reinforce the need to modify the shoulder bells before using them as knees because using unmodified armor plates in a place they were not meant to go is not approvable. Change the contours of the plate a little, add trauma plating, etc, all or one of the above . . .

Otherwise, keep up the good work! I'm digging the awesome lime-green. :) The gauntlet design is pretty dope, too. ;)

- Taakure Clan -

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2018, 05:34 AM »
I heard my name and have been summoned... App team CRL hat in place:

Sleeveless flightsuit is a no go. Flightsuit top and bottom must be visible and match. That does however mean that you can have a short sleeve flightsuit. Sleeves will need to be bigger than tiny capped sleeves - think mid bicep as a best placement. But as long as they match the trouser portion they're good to go.

For removable shoulder bells - most vests have a sort of flap or capped sleeve that the shoulder attaches to - if you attach the shoulder permanently to a materal flap and then have the material be removable you can take the shoulder off. All you'd need is to find something to stick on instead when the shoulder is off - a strip of coloured edging perhaps that just sticks in place and covers any attachments.

You will need a full collar plate - it can be split into parts for ease of movement (mine is in three parts) but the spacing between them all must still be equal.

Since shoulder armour is a requirement - I would suggest putting the shoulders in that spot (if you haven't got some there already) and making some non shoulder shaped knee armour. Just changing the dimensions and angles is the easiest, as it rounding corners off.

Gloves that cover the full hand and wrist are required, they may be fingerless but should not have skin visible elsewhere.

App team and CRL hat off.

Looking good, I really like that concept and look forward to seeing it complete.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Sleeveless flightsuit is a no go. Flightsuit top and bottom must be visible and match. That does however mean that you can have a short sleeve flightsuit.

After comments in my clan's thread, I was already playing with the top needing to have sleeves, but I hadn't counted on the same color requirement   :'( the intent with the orange top was for a color pop with the camo colors. I'll need to consider that in my concepts.

For the full collar, what about the v neck aspect I have? My plan was for the plates to cover the whole vest (minus appropriate edge & plate spacing) but to leave that v-cut.
This is the old vest, but the only difference in the old and new is the width of the main torso.

I don't think the shoulders I have are a good idea for me to use as my shoulder armor... They are bigger across than my face and my shoulders are pretty dainty in comparison to my fat head... I was thinking small cap type shoulder armor.

I was planning on black full finger gloves- it just looks weird when I draw them, so I usually don't. I wear them so much for work, it sometimes feels weird not to wear them, especially outside.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:59 PM »
V neck is a no. You'll need the vest and armour to come up to the neck - the armour can be split apart for movement but not have segments removed entirely.

Another idea to consider for a colour pop - use orange for the neck seal material and then add that same colour as a stripe of fabric down the sleeve and trousers of the flightsuit to tie them all together?

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I've done some sole searching and I can not change the v neck... I'd be willing to change everything else, but to change the v-neck would change the feel of the kit... I've been drawing this kit for so long I won't do it - I've scanned many of my drawings into an art thread if anyone wants to see:

https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=152565.0

BUT I would still like to become official so I'm going to build two kits. The second I'm going to remake a kit I started in 2009ish and never finished.

This is the idea I'm going for... minus the Kama - still not sure of a second waist item yet.

The older version was made with for sale signs, but now I'm using 26 gauge steel

I'm using the old gloves.... I just need to figure out how to repaint them with the plates glued on... That was the only adhesive that actually worked for the old kit.

Small update that took a couple hours...
I sanded down one of my chest plates and ab for the green kit, then repainted the silver....
I loved how every bug in Virginia was like "ooo, wet paint, I think I'm going to land on it!"
- I'm hoping to get away without sanding/repainting the other chest plate, but we'll see how 6 year old paint looks ( or if it will even work- I may need to spend the $16 to buy a new can from Amazon)
I also cut out the torso and boot plates for the red kit.

I've been procrastinating on buying boots... I hate the idea of buying $50-60 boots when I'm used to wearing $150-200 boots for work and I can't afford that much for a pair of boots to play in. So, in cleaning my work closet this weekend, I found my old black boots that I assumed would no longer fit as they're a half size smaller than I wear now, but they fit!

There's a couple problems though... After a couple hours wearing them they were definitely pinching my pinky toe and apparently the insole melted over the past 12 years (I had a nice thick later of melted rubbery foam all over my socks when I took the boots off).... The other major issue is that I have two bad knees - I've started buying minimalist boots for work as they're lighter weight and have only 2mm heals (average boots are 8-10mm) one of the black boots weighs more than a pair of minimalist boots.

So a second option in my magical work closet was a pair of minimalist boots that I can't wear for work anymore because they're tan instead of brown. They're extremely dirty - last time I wore them I was wading knee deep in a flooded dirt road in Georgia - but sole is still good and they're my current size... Does anyone have any experience dying roughout leather? I saw on the forum a few people posted, but they're all 2015 and older- none of the pictures seem to be attached anymore. I mostly need to know what the best dye is and how do you dye the sole- do you just paint it? Also how does the nylon upper take dye- does it need something different than the leather?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!