Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mermando Legacy Armor Build

• 38 Replies

cknight68

• The Phantom of Kamino and Manaan King
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work
Mermando Legacy Armor Build
« on: May 17, 2018, 12:52 PM »
hello vode! Ri Va'lure of Indiana's very own Taakure Clan here, and this is my legacy armor WIP thread. My goal is to become the Mercs' first ever Aquatic Beast Tamer. Down below are references and armor pics. Id love feedback and creative thoughts and suggestions!

Concept Sketch of Project: Mermando courtesy of my Ruus'alor.

Armor's previous look and previous owner.

Process... Both chest pieces and backplate are painted a flat primer grey and taped up for the design. The idea was to have a kit inspired by Riff Tamson from The Clone Wars.

Where we are now... This is where your thoughts and suggestions come in! Please :)

Weathering with rust and silver paint:

Thoughts? I could really use the feedback, vode...

08/15 update!

Hello vode! Ri Va'lure here for Indiana's Taakure Clan. Ive been working on my second kit legacy style and thought I'd post some photos here. Hope everyone is doing well and I'd love some feedback/ideas. My goal is to become an aquatic beast tamer. Im still missing a vest and gloves and my air tanks could use some greeblies but im getting closer to completion.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2018, 08:48 AM by cknight68 » Logged

Caleb Knight
Ri Va'lure (Recon) and Noac Toa the Mermando
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Mermando Legacy Armor Build
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I love what you did :D

Did you plan some kind of propulsion to move under water ?

PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger

cknight68

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Well i was thinking of constructing a pack and attaching it to the back and having “air tanks”. My helmet is being made by demon dog studios right now. Any suggestions on colors of the kit? I’ll look into the propulsion idea!

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Zaroc

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:39 PM »
I really like the colors (love Riff  :P), I m just curious what you will do about the weathering : have to be relative with water environnements isn't it ? :)

cknight68

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Thanks vod! Im trying to afford a "crossover" if you will haha. And yes, that is correct. Im not sure how to do the weathering besides typical scrapes and rust...

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Zaroc

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Maybe see the paint on old ship :)

cknight68

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I was thinking of having some rust where the rivet bolts were on the armor like on old ships haha. But the weathering on the soft parts has me baffled.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Zaroc

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Seems good :) Maybe some green on the soft parts to mimic algua ?

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Hello mate, love your concept. I also think zarocs idea with the algea is genius.... you could even carry some of that over to your hard parts by using the powdered grass used in model railways. also just an idea for you :how about some blocks on your belt to look like divers weights or even a pair of flippers hanging from your belt? You could get a cheap pair and add some armour to them make them look proper sci fi. Just a couple of ideas for you ;) look forward to seeing your kit come together.

cknight68

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I actually never thought of that! The green grass as algea would be pretty cool. As would the flippers haha. Im gonna add some scratch marks from wild beasts and use silver and rust-colored paint. For the fabric the grasses would be cool but my flightsuit is a deep navy blue so trying to get it so show would be difficult... I also have a spear/trident-like weapon.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

jett drexel

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:26 PM »
For realistic rust effect i recomend rusting powder.... you should be able to get any place that does the grass ;)

cknight68

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Would hobby lobby perhaps carry rusting powder?

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

jett drexel

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Don't know i'm in the uk, do they sell model railway stuff? you can get these bits on e-bay they're fairly cheap an if you're  lucky sometimes shipping is free i favour humbrol's range of weathering powders and washes thet do allsorts from mould wash to scorching powder you can get some really cool effects.

cknight68

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I'll take a look and post some photos once i get the rust added to the kit! Im nervous to weather this... everything on this kit has been delayed due to money and and foreseeable circumstances like a basement flooding (the people making my helmet suffered that fate) and a delayed flak vest due to prom season here in the US... Would love suggestions for my girth belt. Should I keep it white or dye it gold? My helmet will have two gold jaig eyes and my spear/trident will be gold.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

jett drexel

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 05:33 PM »
I like the white girthbelt,  goes well with the fishing net.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Interesting concept and beginning! I like the colors too; the rust is a good idea and the fake algae should tie in very well :D. For other stuff, all I can suggest on the soft parts is to mimic salt stains, and otherwise just search for images of water damaged clothes. Or take scrap fabric and literally soak it in seawater and let it dry out to see what kind of effects you get.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Kiltedlion

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I love the concept and have been toying with the idea of doing a scuba mando myself for an alternate kit. Growing up on the beaches of Florida I might have some insight on the weathering of the metal and cloth. In fact,  my current Mando kit is heavily influenced by my experience here and is going to be from a water world. On Amazon, I bought a faux rust paint kit that is really good with rust... it is actually iron dust infused paint with an activator that actually rusts the paint. Here is an example of how it looks

This is just my hand plates.
I also weathered my soft parts to show salt stains and some water damage with a little mold. Here is my Kama
there is some salt staining on the bottom with some splash all the way up to the boba pouches
and you can see the water staining with some mold on the bottom of the inside lining. I hope that helps some  :D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:31 PM by Kiltedlion » Logged

jett drexel

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56 AM »
Awesome.

cknight68

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I love the concept and have been toying with the idea of doing a scuba mando myself for an alternate kit. Growing up on the beaches of Florida I might have some insight on the weathering of the metal and cloth. In fact,  my current Mando kit is heavily influenced by my experience here and is going to be from a water world. On Amazon, I bought a faux rust paint kit that is really good with rust... it is actually iron dust infused paint with an activator that actually rusts the paint. Here is an example of how it looks

This is just my hand plates.
I also weathered my soft parts to show salt stains and some water damage with a little mold. Here is my Kama
there is some salt staining on the bottom with some splash all the way up to the boba pouches
and you can see the water staining with some mold on the bottom of the inside lining. I hope that helps some  :D

Where can I find this rust paint kit!? Also I love the salt weathering on your soft parts of your kit. Since I live here in the middle of Indiana, what would you recommend I do about salt weathering? How did you do it?

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

jett drexel

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Chalk + clearcoat  and if it needs toning down a little dusting of matt dark grey.

cknight68

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Chalk + clearcoat  and if it needs toning down a little dusting of matt dark grey.

Chalk!? Seriously?? Why didnt I think of that!! Thats an affordable option. I could also use sand too on parts of the armor. Hoping to have some updated photos here soon. Im also on the look out for some "air tanks" to use. Small tube like canisters. I work for a VW dealership and for some of the new cars their cargo nets come in tubes. My bucket should have two (hopefully) detachable hoses. Gold weathered jaig eyes too and a dorsal fin.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Kiltedlion

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Where can I find this rust paint kit!? Also I love the salt weathering on your soft parts of your kit. Since I live here in the middle of Indiana, what would you recommend I do about salt weathering? How did you do it?
I found the rust paint on Amazon... I just typed in faux rust paint into the search engine. I believe it is Modern Master's metal effects rust paint kit. The salt stains and water damage is all paint.... I used some off white / very light taupe paint and a sea sponge and dry painted very lightly the effect... I also used a brown and black wash with it and worked in subtle layers.... I like the idea about the chalk. Wish I had thought of that.

cknight68

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I found the rust paint on Amazon... I just typed in faux rust paint into the search engine. I believe it is Modern Master's metal effects rust paint kit. The salt stains and water damage is all paint.... I used some off white / very light taupe paint and a sea sponge and dry painted very lightly the effect... I also used a brown and black wash with it and worked in subtle layers.... I like the idea about the chalk. Wish I had thought of that.

I do have some actual sand that someone brought back from florida that i could smear over the soft parts! Do you think that would work? Probably use some clear coat as an adhesive. Ive done that before with actual dirt and worked out well. I did buy some rust-toned paint last night that im hoping to use soon when i do some animal claw marks on the armor. Beast tamer hopeful here haha.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Kiltedlion

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I do have some actual sand that someone brought back from florida that i could smear over the soft parts! Do you think that would work? Probably use some clear coat as an adhesive. Ive done that before with actual dirt and worked out well. I did buy some rust-toned paint last night that im hoping to use soon when i do some animal claw marks on the armor. Beast tamer hopeful here haha.
That sounds like a great idea. If it worked well with dirt, I'm sure it would work with the sand. I will keep watching this wip with interest.

cknight68

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I was thinking of adding barnacles and coral branches to the kit too somehow, somewhere... thoughts, my vode? My kama will be a fisherman's net, with nautical trinkets (obviously modified to be from the star wars universe). I have a picture of the belt I'll be using and my girth belt. Still waiting on my helmet to come in... Wish i had more photo updates. Id hate for this thread to go dead pretty quick.

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!