Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mermando Legacy Armor Build

• 34 Replies

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Mermando Legacy Armor Build
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Interesting concept and beginning! I like the colors too; the rust is a good idea and the fake algae should tie in very well :D. For other stuff, all I can suggest on the soft parts is to mimic salt stains, and otherwise just search for images of water damaged clothes. Or take scrap fabric and literally soak it in seawater and let it dry out to see what kind of effects you get.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I love the concept and have been toying with the idea of doing a scuba mando myself for an alternate kit. Growing up on the beaches of Florida I might have some insight on the weathering of the metal and cloth. In fact,  my current Mando kit is heavily influenced by my experience here and is going to be from a water world. On Amazon, I bought a faux rust paint kit that is really good with rust... it is actually iron dust infused paint with an activator that actually rusts the paint. Here is an example of how it looks

This is just my hand plates.
I also weathered my soft parts to show salt stains and some water damage with a little mold. Here is my Kama
there is some salt staining on the bottom with some splash all the way up to the boba pouches
and you can see the water staining with some mold on the bottom of the inside lining. I hope that helps some  :D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:31 PM by Kiltedlion » Logged
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56 AM »
Awesome.

cknight68

• The Phantom of Kamino, a legend among ghost tales.
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I love the concept and have been toying with the idea of doing a scuba mando myself for an alternate kit. Growing up on the beaches of Florida I might have some insight on the weathering of the metal and cloth. In fact,  my current Mando kit is heavily influenced by my experience here and is going to be from a water world. On Amazon, I bought a faux rust paint kit that is really good with rust... it is actually iron dust infused paint with an activator that actually rusts the paint. Here is an example of how it looks

This is just my hand plates.
I also weathered my soft parts to show salt stains and some water damage with a little mold. Here is my Kama
there is some salt staining on the bottom with some splash all the way up to the boba pouches
and you can see the water staining with some mold on the bottom of the inside lining. I hope that helps some  :D

Where can I find this rust paint kit!? Also I love the salt weathering on your soft parts of your kit. Since I live here in the middle of Indiana, what would you recommend I do about salt weathering? How did you do it?

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Chalk + clearcoat  and if it needs toning down a little dusting of matt dark grey.

cknight68

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Chalk + clearcoat  and if it needs toning down a little dusting of matt dark grey.

Chalk!? Seriously?? Why didnt I think of that!! Thats an affordable option. I could also use sand too on parts of the armor. Hoping to have some updated photos here soon. Im also on the look out for some "air tanks" to use. Small tube like canisters. I work for a VW dealership and for some of the new cars their cargo nets come in tubes. My bucket should have two (hopefully) detachable hoses. Gold weathered jaig eyes too and a dorsal fin.

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Where can I find this rust paint kit!? Also I love the salt weathering on your soft parts of your kit. Since I live here in the middle of Indiana, what would you recommend I do about salt weathering? How did you do it?
I found the rust paint on Amazon... I just typed in faux rust paint into the search engine. I believe it is Modern Master's metal effects rust paint kit. The salt stains and water damage is all paint.... I used some off white / very light taupe paint and a sea sponge and dry painted very lightly the effect... I also used a brown and black wash with it and worked in subtle layers.... I like the idea about the chalk. Wish I had thought of that.

cknight68

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I found the rust paint on Amazon... I just typed in faux rust paint into the search engine. I believe it is Modern Master's metal effects rust paint kit. The salt stains and water damage is all paint.... I used some off white / very light taupe paint and a sea sponge and dry painted very lightly the effect... I also used a brown and black wash with it and worked in subtle layers.... I like the idea about the chalk. Wish I had thought of that.

I do have some actual sand that someone brought back from florida that i could smear over the soft parts! Do you think that would work? Probably use some clear coat as an adhesive. Ive done that before with actual dirt and worked out well. I did buy some rust-toned paint last night that im hoping to use soon when i do some animal claw marks on the armor. Beast tamer hopeful here haha.

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I do have some actual sand that someone brought back from florida that i could smear over the soft parts! Do you think that would work? Probably use some clear coat as an adhesive. Ive done that before with actual dirt and worked out well. I did buy some rust-toned paint last night that im hoping to use soon when i do some animal claw marks on the armor. Beast tamer hopeful here haha.
That sounds like a great idea. If it worked well with dirt, I'm sure it would work with the sand. I will keep watching this wip with interest.

cknight68

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I was thinking of adding barnacles and coral branches to the kit too somehow, somewhere... thoughts, my vode? My kama will be a fisherman's net, with nautical trinkets (obviously modified to be from the star wars universe). I have a picture of the belt I'll be using and my girth belt. Still waiting on my helmet to come in... Wish i had more photo updates. Id hate for this thread to go dead pretty quick.

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Barnacles..... genius..... love it. :D  :D :D

cknight68

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 10:25 AM »
The trick would be in the execution of this idea. It has to be done just right! Kinda wanna look like Davy jones and his crew a bit, ya know?

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 01:14 PM »
If you glue them where you want then if you mix a little white acrylic paint with some of your sand then using a brush work it into the gaps an wait till it dries. to finish a little dark green wash followed by a little dark brown. Finally seal it with some clear coat and you got instant barnacle clusters. ;D

cknight68

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Jett how do you know so much?! Brilliant! My girlfriend has been helping me find barnacles and such on etsy to add to the armor and paint up. Im hoping to do some more armor pics today althought im still missing my vest, new belt, net kama, and helmet. I need to paint up my trident/spear.

Ri Va'lure
MMCC #1828
Taakure Clan
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 01:29 PM »
You need a trip to the seaside my friend..... best place to find fishing net an nothing will weather it better than the see also it's a great help when you can see barnacles in the wild how they cluster the discolouration....do they prefer the underside of something or do they like to be in the sun. It all adds to the authenticity of your build. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!