Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ariana's Modern Mando - Soft Parts WIP (Pic Heavy!)

• 12 Replies

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
Ariana's Modern Mando - Soft Parts WIP (Pic Heavy!)
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:56 PM »
CURRENT STATUS: (UPDATED 2/22/2019)

The flak vest is almost done! I just need to finish up a few "last looks" details, but I plan on posting a pic soon of what all the soft parts I have together at the moment: black flight suit, grey flak vest, grey boots (which need some minor mods to be approvable).

UP NEXT: (UPDATED 2/22/2019)

• Girth Belt (same material as vest)
  • Boot Mods / Cover Fabrication
  • Kama / Loincloth Combo
  • Ammo Belt

Hello All,

I'd like to preface this with a link to my concept thread, which can be found here. But I will re-post the concept art here for convenience:

The End Goal:

Version 1Version 2

I started working on this and gathering materials about a year ago, but just ended up getting busy and made no real progress until recently. But, I'm finally buckling down to get things moving, and I'm super excited! I've decided to work my build from the inside out (soft parts first, then armor...) and this is what I have so far:

Flight Suit:

TOP:
Capezio Women's Turtleneck Long Sleeve Leotard (Black, Medium) - $29.50
Bought April 23, 2017 on Amazon (product link)

BOTTOM:
Baleaf Women's Yoga Barre Workout Stirrup Leggings (Black, Small) - $20.99
Bought April 23, 2017 on Amazon (product link no longer available)

NOTE: I plan on covering the logo on the back of the waistband with a similar fabric.

Boots:

Halsey, G by Guess (Gray, Women's Size 9) - $46.52
Bought April 23, 2017 on Jet.com (product link)

NOTE: The boots have a zipper detail on both the inner and outer facing sides. I plan to cover the zippers with spats/boot covers made out of the same pleather that I'm using for the Flak Vest (shown farther down in the post). The spats will act as a mount for the shin armor.

Flak Vest (Custom):

DESIGN SKETCH:

PROGRESS PHOTOS!
I used an old over-sized t-shirt to plan, pin, and cut the shape of the pattern I wanted (princess seams!). It was not until this point that I realized that the logo on the shirt has always been completely off center  :o

I pulled these pieces off my dress form and drafted a pattern using "Sewable Swedish Tracing Paper" (product link), making a few modifications to allow for a 5/8 inch seam allowance and an extra flap over the left shoulder where it will all snap together:

PATTERN:
FRONT, shown first / BACK, shown last
(outer view for both)

Then I got to sewing!

Adding the neck seal:

... and that's where I am now. I'm currently waiting for my new "snap pliers" to be delivered so I can be sure that the neck and shoulder close properly before adding any cap sleeves and side buckles. Hopefully, I should have them by tomorrow! In the meantime, here are some pictures of the hardware I'm going to use for the snaps and D-rings on the belt buckles for the sides:

I'm really looking forward to hearing any feedback or suggestions! Like I mentioned earlier, I'm really excited about this project. Once I finish up the vest I'll post some photos of what it looks like all together so far with me actually in the gear ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 08:55 PM by gcnywaldork » Logged
~ Ariana.

Ariana's Modern Mando WIP:
Concept | Soft Parts

All-Encompassing Project Blog:
https://arianametzler.wordpress.com

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Ariana's Modern Mando - Soft Parts WIP (Pic Heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I'm going to enjoy watching this build.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04 AM »
NOTE: I plan on covering the logo on the back of the waistband with a similar fabric

That area will probably get covered by your waist items anyway, so this may end up being an unnecessary step.  Looks like you're off to a great start!

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:05 AM »
I'm going to enjoy watching this build.   :)
Hhmmm I concur

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Thank you guys for the encouragement! Sorry, it's been a while! new job and life just seemed to get in the way of working on this. However, I CAN say that my Flak Vest is almost finished! I'm currently working on the side buckles and then tying in loose threads as the last step.

Next, I'm going to work on a sash or girth belt that would go under an ammo belt. I do have a question about the order of layering when it comes to these waste items and the stomach plate. Would a sash/girth sit under or over the stomach plate in terms of which item is closest to the body?

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:33 PM »
You want to put on any belts holding up the cod/loin cloth, kama, drop leg holsters or similar items first. Then use a fabric sash or rope girth belt to cover all that up and keep the waist tidy. Then a belt of some form on top of that.
None of these items want to be sitting under or over the stomach plate at all if you can help it. If you do layer them over the top of the stomach plate then it can make the top of the stomach plate jut out at an angle instead of remaining in place. If you put the stomach plate on top of the waist items then it can look like the plate is floating off you and again isn't formed to fit you.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Jal Korvo

• Ad Be Ca
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Commenting to follow. Love your concept.

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:10 PM »

You want to put on any belts holding up the cod/loin cloth, kama, drop leg holsters or similar items first. Then use a fabric sash or rope girth belt to cover all that up and keep the waist tidy. Then a belt of some form on top of that.
None of these items want to be sitting under or over the stomach plate at all if you can help it. If you do layer them over the top of the stomach plate then it can make the top of the stomach plate jut out at an angle instead of remaining in place. If you put the stomach plate on top of the waist items then it can look like the plate is floating off you and again isn't formed to fit you.

Thank you, this really helped clarify for me :-)

Commenting to follow. Love your concept.

Thank you! ^__^

I've updated my first post to include "Current Status" and "Up Next" sections, mainly just to keep myself on track and remember what I need to be doing  :laugh:

CURRENT STATUS: (UPDATED 2/22/2019)

The flak vest is almost done! Just need to finish up a few "last looks" details, but I plan on posting a pic soon of what all the soft parts I have together at the moment: black flight suit, grey flak vest, grey boots (which need some minor mods to be approvable).

UP NEXT: (UPDATED 2/22/2019)

• Girth Belt (same material as vest)
  • Boot Mods / Cover Fabrication
  • Kama / Loincloth Combo
  • Ammo Belt

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 08:50 PM by gcnywaldork » Logged
~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Hi
Wooo :o I Love you concept
I can't Wait to see more progress

Regards
Oscar  :like:

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:47 AM »
Your vest looks great! Commenting to follow as well  :)

Jenn

• 🌈She/Her🌈
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Can't wait to see what you do!

Original WIPUpgrade ThreadTroop Count: 92 (since 3/19/2019)

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Reviving this thread with an updated concept image :rolleyes:

A lot has happened in my personal life since my last update. I've started a new job (which I love!) but it has been keeping me away from my projects, including this build. At least, it has been keeping me away from actually building even though I have been able to do a bit more research (read: forum lurking...) and finalize what I really want this first version to be!

The "Up Next" section from my last post still holds, but I still need to remember to take pictures of my completed flak vest  :8):

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

kellynoons

• Mando Name: Kefira Leeu
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Commenting so I can follow along because I really love your design 🙂

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!