Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GriffonKing Helmet WIP

• 9 Replies

Senrab Noj

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
GriffonKing Helmet WIP
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:02 PM »

My helmet is in and I can't wait to get started on it. I'm hoping to get it cleaned up this week. I've never worked with a resin cast, so this will be a new experience for me. Wish me luck!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: GriffonKing Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28 PM »
dremel VERY carefully :)  I like that bucket, one of my clan mates has one.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Don’t be afraid of it. Oopsies can be fixed or used as battle damage.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Senrab Noj

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:28 PM »
It's a small thing, but I got my visor cut out this weekend. I did some sanding, but need to break out the jeweler's files and get the details done. The visor is not installed, of course. It's just in there for fun.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Looking good :) Assuming the visor will go all the way to the bottom when installed.  You might want to rig a couple of attachment points to it and the vertical piece in the middle just to keep everything aligned and in one piece over the long haul. 

I really like mirrored visors, and I like the blue here.  Good work vod!

Senrab Noj

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I cut the visor to extend all the way to the bottom. I just wedged it in there so it wouldn't fall out and it ended up a little higher than I intended. I'll look at different ways to install it, but want to get it painted up first. I'm also a little concerned about the nose piece. It feels sturdy enough, but I'd hate for it to break off accidentally. I'm thinking about making a brace to go on the inside of the visor to run horizontal across the nose to either side of the T. Hopefully the mirror will keep the modification hidden.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I'm thinking about making a brace to go on the inside of the visor to run horizontal across the nose to either side of the T. Hopefully the mirror will keep the modification hidden.

I've seen plenty of buckets with braces like that on the inside, that aren't visible from the outside.  You should be fine, and it's a good plan :) Excited to see more of your build!

Senrab Noj

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Oh man. It's been a minute since I've posted here. Going from divorce, to apartment, to moving into a house, etc has really set me back from where I wanted to be. That being said, I've finally made some progress and started getting back into the build. I figured the best place to start would be my helmet. I've never weather painted anything before, but have watched a couple of hours of videos from members and cosplay professionals and hope I got the hang of it. I'm trying to take pictures as I go, but I'm terrible at remembering. Here's what I have so far:

All of the taped area in the last picture will be blue, the rest will be copper. I've already laid the copper down but haven't taken photos of it yet. I'll update when I do. Hopefully I'm doing this right! If not, I see lots of sanding in my future.  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2019, 04:02 PM by griffon king » Logged

Senrab Noj

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2019, 08:12 PM »
More photos:

Senrab Noj

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2019, 11:31 AM »
The blue came out great. I absolutely love the color. But it looked so shiny! So I rubbed some charcoal powder into the helmet, dirtying it up a bit, and took after it with some sand paper and steel wool. I think I'm about ready to call it done, but am certainly open to suggestions or concerns. I'm also not 100% sure about the blue mirrored visor. It seems too shiny to me. Thoughts?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!