Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build

• 123 Replies

Ruug'la Tal

• Silence is the roar of strength...
First build
« on: Jun 07, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Alright people...finally got this figured out.

Started my new wip...black leather flak, gloves, boots and spats. Gray flight suit. Red armor. Going for medium armor class with red cape and loincloth. I'm still working on my design but got this together last night.

Going to shorten the bottom of the vest 3 inches and sleeves 2 inches when hemmed. I am also adding a neck seal and will be weathering all.
Is my vest acceptable?

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 01:31 PM by Ragla Tal » Logged

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: First build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2018, 03:22 PM »
First off it's great to see you work on soft parts first. Seems like a lot of vode get their buy'ce and plates done then stagnate trying to get the soft parts done. I built my kit in the order I put it on (flight suit, boots, vest, plates then belts). That way you can fit test each item as you complete it and all fits correctly when you're done. ;)

It would be good to see back and side pictures, back in particular. You could maybe get the jacket mod to work. As for your boots - no visible laces. Many use spats to get that look; be careful of exposed, obvious laces and zippers, and pockets depending on style (covered Boba pockets are OK).

The vest cut-down sounds good. If you look at Boba, he has shirt sleeves under the flack vest. It looks like you're trying to maybe combine the two? I'd cut it down to a vest then add short sleeves if that's what you're going for.

Good start. Look forward to seeing you at the armor party.

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Thanks for the input! Can't wait to get to work on it this weekend...more updates to come.

Ruug'la Tal

Re: First build...templates
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2018, 08:34 PM »
More pics...figured id post this pic. its what i am using for inspiration. I have a question on the external shoulder straps, and whether they are permissible for approval.
I am planning on creating a harness that can be interchangeable with a jetpack or a sniper rifle. the pic below shows an approximation of the shoulder straps i am proposing.

(picture comes via Pintrest, not my creation.)

Armor templates submitted for critique. Sizing and spacing were assisted by my helpful clan members Rick and Justin at our armor party this afternoon.

I'm going to use 6 mil Sintra. I know the spacing doesn't show perfect taped up but i have 3/4 of an inch between nec and chest and between chest and ab.
I have 1/4 inch between chest plates and around diamond.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2018, 09:22 PM »
I found your WIP!  I kept meaning to look for it, and then kept forgetting.  You've got a good start.  I'll echo what Rick said and tell you that starting from inside out with soft parts first is a really smart idea.

So the shoulder straps would likely be permissible, but you want app team approval on stuff like that before you get too far.  If one of the app team members does not comment in your WIP thread (which they often do) and say for certain, you can ask them directly by start a thread on the Q&A board.  That's your direct line to them.

Plate placement looks pretty good, and the spacing is always hard to tell until you get the real deal cut out and starting placing it on your vest.  The plates are likely going to be a little on the big side, but that a GOOD thing as opposed to them being too small.  You can always trim some off.  Making them bigger is a little trickier.

Overall, I like the concept art you're drawing inspiration from.  Keep at it.  Can't wait to meet you at the next armor party.  OYA!

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I like the shape. The height looks good, but I wonder if it doesn't need to be a little narrower. I'd consider (because of the tabs on the collar and chest) redrawing the template a 1/4" narrower on both sides and re-centering the tabs. Thinking if you just trimmed them down again the tabs would no longer be centered well on the chest plates (if you catch my meaning). It would give you the chance to thicken up the fangs (lower area) on your chest plates and narrow down the ab plate (get back to more of the geometry you originally had before trimming down today).

Were you going to have a standard diamond shape or fit in one to the hole that's there now?

I like where you're going with this. ;)

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2018, 12:58 AM »
with the exposed shoulder strapping, so long as it is in universe, it should be fine.
just to CYA go ahead and post a QnA with app team and ask about it to get a total clarification.
The issue you will run into is the straps and whatever is on the back pushing down with weight will move and mess up the shaping of your chest armor. so be sure you keep that in mind going forward.
good luck in your build, and you are doing it the right order, get those soft parts done first!

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Arighty then, quick update on armor template resize and design.
Old set on the left, new on right...narrowed and recut.

Planning on 2 layers of 3mm Sintra so i can do a nice border and some plate detail.

Colar to belly button...man i suck at pics.

Close up of the proposed double plate detail.

Any thoughts?

Raynos Ge'tal

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Would you be opposed to trying on a set of templates about an inch smaller all around?
Im curious to see how it would look while giving you more room for movement.

Also the height of the ab needs to be no more than half the width .5:1 (thanks sep for the reminder)

It is also suggested to move the waist items up to your waist as they appear to be on your hips ( thanks keely for the reminder)

The more you fix now the easier it gets later. Focusing on soft parts and getting those right before moving on to the armor.

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 03:22 PM by redraynos14 » Logged

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2018, 03:34 PM »
All trimmed down.

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Fast work man. Im not sure if you saw my edit to your post by the way.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Sorry for the mistake, Only half your comments loaded.
I have corrected the ab plate. It is exactly half as tall as it is wide.

I will take the comments on gear sitting to low on the hips to heart when i do the final design on the girth belt.
I'm a little husky so things just gravitate there.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Love the revisions.  Your plates look much more wearable now :)

I'm a little husky so things just gravitate there.

I wear suspenders on my scrubs pants to deal with this issue.  Totally get it :)

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2018, 04:02 PM »
These look great! Sorry for the confusion

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I got restless working on soft parts and templates. i needed to use power!
My helmet blank....fits my head with the same sizing as a helmet i tried on at the armor party.
Time to print out some templates....ugh....more templates!
Going to use Boba 1:1 templates.

Time to get back to squishy stuff.

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2018, 01:20 PM »
You appear to be moving along at a great pace. Keep it up!

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Chugging away!
Spats and machete done.
Going to have shin and knee armor as well.

They connect in the back with velcro for now.

Ruug'la Tal

Re: First Build: Making Progress
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Had a little solo armor party.
Collar, chest, diamond and ab cut out and sanded. Each layer is 3mm for a 6mm total.

Did a rivet, paint and weathering test on my diamond.

Silver, bronze and silver on the back layer...
Rivets attached. Silver, bronze, dark red and a dark brown wash for the top layer.
I waited till each layer of paint was tacky and did a dry wash so it nicked it up nice.
I like it, but i think some black antiquing ould really make it pop.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Templates for my leg armor.

Cy'Mur

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I'm super digging this WIP.  I might suggest you also put this WIP on your profile (the little yellow writing at the bottom of everybody's profile)  makes it super easy to find. 
Also,  the design and idea of overlapping sintra has a great look to it.  Just be aware that when you go to shape it, the overlapping plates might not bend at the same shape and spacing that they do laying flat.  Might take some tweeking to get right but from what I've seen of your stuff that should be no problem for you.  Keep up the great work!

MMCC                 #1687
S.P.A.R.C.K.        #21
Chrome Dome   #009

Backplate addition
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=127177.0

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2018, 09:57 PM »
That really is some nice work. Have you tried shaping the double thickness sintra? I have no experience so it would be nice to know how it does.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #21 on: Jun 24, 2018, 10:26 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  I've layered formed Sintra yes, but never tried to form layered Sintra.  Love the design.  Interested to see how this shakes out.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Quick update...
Double Layer and final paint and weathering.

Im kind of painting with a force hunter in the back of my mind...
Is that the kind of carbon scoring and damage i am looking for?

I think the double layer bent well.
I want it to look like i've been battling for decades.
How does it look Vods?

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2018, 11:48 PM »
It is looking pretty solid. Loving the color layering and the darker scorched area.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I like it! I've seen people layering up 3 mm for a while now, but hadn't really had a chance to follow their builds. Now we know - it shapes well. I really like where you're going with this. As for the scoring, I think that's the idea. Looks like a light saber took a wack at you to me, but wouldn't it have at least curled the paint? Don't know.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!