Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting a bucket, need help

• 2 Replies
Starting a bucket, need help
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Big STAR WARS fan ofcourse, just joined the mercs and to kick it off I want to start a bucket build.
Already seen a ton of forum posts, tutorials and pepa schemes and I'm a bit overwhelmed and have no idea how to start.

Bit of introduction, I'm thinking of building a custom design legacy helmet, taking inspiration from SWJFH A6 and Modified Boba pepa schemes.
I don't know what base to use or start from scratch (3D print perhaps) since the majority will be custom design. I am competent with 2D CAD software and I'm pretty handy, so I can handle a challenge. With some intro I think I can handle 3D design, I have Fusion360 installed.

Open to any suggestion, tips, materials to use, tutorials or basic 3D schemes to get started

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Starting a bucket, need help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Oya! A great base to start from if you're looking to scratch build is taking a skate helmet and using that to attach your other bits too, I used 3mm sintra in two layers, reinforced with fibreglass, but you can use other materials if you have them to hand. Using the templates can give you a good "blank" to work from and modify. Have you got any designs sketched out?

3ddyb

• Omax Rak
Re: Starting a bucket, need help
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:28 PM »
I started by downloading papercraft plans, it gave me the basic sizes and helped give me a starting point.

I used steel sheets for mine but I was working for a sheet metal company at the time, and had free access to their scrap bin.

Honestly just get a plan in place, find what you have available and don't give up :like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185812421@N03/49164541301/in/dateposted-public/

"An artist by nature,  a monster by necessity..."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!