Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 93 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #60 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:05 AM »
OK cool not a problem. I'm sure I've got something laying around
I’ve used spare window mesh that I had laying around from a home improvement project I did. Scraps are awesome.

QMU#084

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #61 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:15 AM »
I used black pantyhose on mine.

« Reply #62 on: Oct 17, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice on that guys. I got some more work done today, mostly sanding so no pictures to really show. But I sanded down the whole helmet to 120 grit, sanded down the insides of the cheeks so I had some more room, carved out a ton of the hot glue and replaced it with 5 min epoxy for a stronger more weather resistant adhesion. I also cut out the top of the two braces I had in the T part of the visor, I have decided to leave the bottom one for more stability.

Question I posted on my WIP but not here. Does anyone have a reliable way of segregating the heat on sintra? I want the cheeks to be a bit shallower but obviously don't want to lose the curve I have or the adhesion that is still partially hot glue. I'm not sure I dare to even try it but I thought I would ask to see if anyone had a method for such a thing.

I plan to move on to Bondo tomorrow any advice for a newbie like me?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #63 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:06 PM »
you could try submerging the parts you don't want to heat up in cold water.

« Reply #64 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:16 PM »
So here is a pic of what I need to do, it may not even be possible. Anything above the black line I need to keep cool, below is what I need to heat up and pull down and out so I have a little more space inside.

Would it be better to just redo the cheeks entirely? If so that is something I'm willing to do after Halloween is over lol

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #65 on: Oct 17, 2018, 09:27 PM »
It looks to me like you'd need to cut a dart to get what you're wanting... so probably easier to just redo the cheeks completely.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #66 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Woah! You've made a lot of progress on this! I'm disappointed that we don't have this Sunday available anymore to make some more progress on it!

Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar'gam||Privateer Brigade WIP ||Protector

MMCC #1484¦¦41 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.O.M.B. #16 ¦ B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
« Reply #67 on: Oct 19, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Yeah man I've been busting my butt on it lately thanks for noticing! I'm so bummed that the 21st got spoiled, I was really planning on using that time to cut my plates and get sizing and shaping right. I'm definitely going to do my best to make the 28th but that is going to be really tough.

« Reply #68 on: Oct 24, 2018, 10:40 AM »
I've got a question for you experienced Buy'ce builders. When Bondo-ing do you just slather the helmet completely or is there a method, or stages that you do it in? I did some touch up Bondo on the helmet to fill in my major gaps and square up some of the not so square parts but I was hesitant to just slather it everywhere in case that wasn't the right procedure.

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Special Weapons
« Reply #69 on: Oct 25, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I would suggest using thin coats on smaller sections of you helmet. For instance; you might do 1/4-1/2 the dome, or just the visor/brow ridge area, or one cheek. The bondo set pretty fast, so if you try to do large areas, it will set before you get it all applied. As you're going to be sanding A LOT anyway, you're better off sanding several layers of thin coats, trying to power through a thick one. This also let you fix small imperfections in a previously sanded area, while applying more bondo to a new area of your helmet.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #70 on: Oct 30, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Ok so I had a party to go to last week and I threw a quick version of a mando together. No weathering or anything. My helmet isn't done but I put in a quick visor and let it be what it is for now. In my rush though I only sanded to 80 grit and obviously when I painted it was really rough. So I came home and stripped the bucket and resanded it down to 1000 grit. However I still have the same issue. It seems that little flaps or tags of plastic get lifted or flattened but not removed from the helmet.

Here is what it looks like now after being sanded to 1000 grit:

any ideas how to solve this issue for when I really go after the real paint job?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #71 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:00 PM »
it looks like it's only on the hardhat... did you sand the hardhat/bondo to a high grit before painting, or just the paint on top of it?

« Reply #72 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Yeah it is just the hard hat. So the whole process was I bondo-ed some of the problem areas like the injection point at the top of the dome and other spots. Then Bondo-ed the whole dome (realized I wouldn't have that done in time for when I needed it) sanded the whole dome to strip the bondo. Painted it the first time. Stripped that and sanded it to 80 grit, then to 120 grit, then to 400, then to 1000. That picture is plain hardhat no bondo after being sanded to 1000 grit.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #73 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:12 PM »
You might try sanding the paint back off the hardhat, then taking one of those long grill lighters to the furry bits... it might not work though, and definitely odn't keep it there too long if it isn't.

« Reply #74 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Oh good idea I hadn't thought about burning/melting them off. Well I have a halloween event tomorrow but after that I will definitely try that. Thanks Sep you truly are a helmet master!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!