Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 94 Replies

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« on: Jun 18, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Alright I'm jumping into the deep end head first on this one. I am new to not only the Mercs but cosplay in general, though I've always wanted to get my hands dirty. I'm going big by starting with a home made "homer" bucket. I'm taking things slowly and I will be posting a ton of pictures as I go, hopefully I can turn this into a successful tutorial after I'm done.

This is all of the equipment I either bought or had to build this helmet (the manila folder is my templates)

This is the Hard hat after cutting off the brim all the way around.
Front:

Left:

Right:

Back:

I really don't  like the front of  the helmet, I am first going to try and see if it will work backwards, and if not I plan on creating a continuous center ridge from front to back with some sintra and bondo. I also have my templates cut, modified (for night owl visor), and taped. I just have to transfer them I know it's not a lot here but I wanted to get started and get some very early feedback.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 10:31 AM by FabledFalcon412 » Logged

Ko'rizna Falco

Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Now I have more work done on the actual buckets for the helmet:
The blank layer:

and the visor layer:

I would love some critique, constructive criticism, or compliments and encouragement if you have it. Thank you.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 10:37 AM by FabledFalcon412 » Logged
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:16 PM »
hey Vod, dont know if its just my phone, and comp but your images aren't showing up. and if it is please ignore. 

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Oh man. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see what I can figure out.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Imgur is fantastic and really simple to use. 

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Thanks I'll use that and get it figured out tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know. I gave it a day and saw responses around my post and was very confused. I'm glad it's user error. And not me getting ignored or something.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Imgur is fantastic and really simple to use. 

All fixed I hope. Uploaded to imgur made the images public and should be good to go. I hope

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2018, 06:56 PM »
yup all good to go shows up and looks fantastic

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Pics are up.  Welcome to scratch building :)

You probably want to sand or cut off the little nubs on the sides so that your brow ridge can be flush with the main part of the dome.  Be sure to rough sand all your plastic NOW so that you don't have to do it after assembly as it's a bit trickier. 

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2018, 07:44 PM »
You probably want to sand or cut off the little nubs on the sides so that your brow ridge can be flush with the main part of the dome.

So those nubs are actually where the inside rim, brace, padding thing attaches to the helmet, I was planning on using that since it came with the helmet to keep it comfortable on my head but I could just as easily go buy some bike helmet padding if you think that would be a better option. Since you're on the app team then i'd love to hear what you think and will defer to that since that is the ultimate goal of course

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:00 PM »
My real resume for this thread isn't the app team tag, it's this thread:   https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130486.0
This thread too: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=152021.0
This was the resulting helmet:

You're going to end up having to cover those nubs if you don't cut them off.  I wound up putting just some EVA foam inside my helmet for padding, but people also use the bike kits, the baseball kits, and the military helmet kits.    The danger of leaving them on is that you're either going to have difficulty attaching the brow ridge, have an abnormally thick brow ridge, or need to give those nubbins some kind of purpose so they look like an intentional part o your build instead of left over hardhat.

The choice is very much your's, and I look forward to seeing what you decide :) 

Happy to answer any questions you have vod!

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Wow! Those both give me amazing insight and a lot to think about. My Initial thought was to actually screw into the nubs so that the top of the brow was level with the top of those nubs and just have an extended brow ridge, but now that I am looking at it I have some serious thinking to do. That may end up being too thick.

My thought is to cut out the buckets (or at least the base layer) and mock fit those with duct tape or something to get an idea of what I'm dealing with, and what size the bucket ends up being. Then I need to see how big of a ridge that leaves and if I think it is manageable or needs to be brought in by removing those.

Thank you so much for the insight as I had been working from just one WIP from a clan member and Youtube video. Those are great references.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:53 PM »
A lot of the WIPs and threads I learned from got killed by the Photobucket User agreement change, so that's why I wound up doing the tutorial. The WIP I just did so I could keep getting feedback. Getting feedback is pretty key, and you're doing that.  Trying things and seeing how they look is also key. 

Also, don't get pissed at yourself if you end up making 1, or most of 1 to learn, and the final bucket for your kit ends up being the second. At some point in the build, you WILL want to throw it against a wall... at that point, just keep sanding :p so much sanding...

Sep

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:55 PM »
HAHA Thanks, I'm trying to go slowly and get all the feedback so this is a one shot deal. Though in the back of my mind I know it isn't lol. I'm totally new to cosplay and the Mercs so to get it on the first go would be a miracle.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I am slowly coming to accept that I'll be happier with the final result if I just go ahead and plan on throwing the first one away (if it's a new technique/skill for me), so I don't try to keep bandaiding the first one and then get something I accept only until I get fed up with it and remake it later.  Which is why I'm OM a little over a year, and on my second set of just about everything....  But I was brand new to cosplaying when I jumped in too.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Haha I appreciate the advise you have truly been very helpful in just these few bits of conversation! I'll plan on trashing this when it's done, and be ready to buy some new buckets lol :laugh: I'll keep this post updated as I get to work on the helm a bit more.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Alright it's not much but I made some progress today. I didn't get far because in using my  "dremel" I broke three of the cheap grinding blades that came with it. So I have realized I need to suck it up and get something of a bit higher quality before I progress further.

I have removed the rest of the bucket leaving about a quarter inch of space around the outline so that I can come in later and get it more precise and I wanted to make sure I had enough material for adjustments and changes. I also did not remove any of the plastic from the back, I just sliced it up the middle splitting the difference between the two ends of the template.

Below is an image I created of what I want the final product to look like. I'm not 100% on the bottom of the t-visor but I know I want to keep it connected somehow.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Question for all you experienced guys. How important are internals? by that I mean, mic, hearing aid, fans, etc. I'm trying to keep this budget and so far I'm doing really well, so I was thinking of at least adding fans. I would love to be able to add the audio components too just wondering what time table I should set for those in terms of do I need to get them before I finish my kit or can it be after?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I still don't have any of that stuff on my helmets.  I do have vents in the earcap design though that help with hearing.  I know plenty of others without fans/audio gear.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Ok that is good to know, I was thinking of cutting some sort of cool vents in the ears and maybe the front of the cheek arch too for hearing and talking.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Well This is where things get interesting, as I had a feeling they would. Below are some pictures of the helmet on my head. I am having some issue with getting it mocked up correctly but I'm not sure how to get it just right.

As you might be able to tell the helm sits very very close to my nose, in fact the support bridge (which will be removed) actually touches my nose, squishing it a little. This of course means that a visor would do the same once installed.

I should also note that the hard hat at the front is just barely overlapping the buckets, so I can't really move it up any more.

I have a significant overlap of material in the back of the helmet and I think with some tweaking I might be able to get it right I'm just not sure what adjustment to make.

Here is the bucket flat on the table if that helps, not sure if it does or not.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has, I don't want to progress without some help of what I can try, or just let me know now if I'd be better off just getting a couple more buckets.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03:07 PM »
To get more nose clearance, you could cut a strip of bucket plastic to act as a spacer between your current brow ridge and the hard hat. The problem you're hitting is why I wound up making a custom dome out of bucket, but I needed another inch or inch and a half of clearance, not a few mm.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Got it, what an easy fix haha I didn't even think about. That's why we have you pro's  :D I will give that a shot and see how it goes.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2018, 06:48 PM »
That's why we have you pro's

I just make all this stuff up as I go along... ;) Hope it works out for you vod!

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #24 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Ha well you're a pro compared to me, made up or not. I will keep this post updated with my advancement.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!