Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 93 Replies
Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Haha I appreciate the advise you have truly been very helpful in just these few bits of conversation! I'll plan on trashing this when it's done, and be ready to buy some new buckets lol :laugh: I'll keep this post updated as I get to work on the helm a bit more.

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Alright it's not much but I made some progress today. I didn't get far because in using my  "dremel" I broke three of the cheap grinding blades that came with it. So I have realized I need to suck it up and get something of a bit higher quality before I progress further.

I have removed the rest of the bucket leaving about a quarter inch of space around the outline so that I can come in later and get it more precise and I wanted to make sure I had enough material for adjustments and changes. I also did not remove any of the plastic from the back, I just sliced it up the middle splitting the difference between the two ends of the template.

Below is an image I created of what I want the final product to look like. I'm not 100% on the bottom of the t-visor but I know I want to keep it connected somehow.

« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Question for all you experienced guys. How important are internals? by that I mean, mic, hearing aid, fans, etc. I'm trying to keep this budget and so far I'm doing really well, so I was thinking of at least adding fans. I would love to be able to add the audio components too just wondering what time table I should set for those in terms of do I need to get them before I finish my kit or can it be after?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I still don't have any of that stuff on my helmets.  I do have vents in the earcap design though that help with hearing.  I know plenty of others without fans/audio gear.

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Ok that is good to know, I was thinking of cutting some sort of cool vents in the ears and maybe the front of the cheek arch too for hearing and talking.

« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Well This is where things get interesting, as I had a feeling they would. Below are some pictures of the helmet on my head. I am having some issue with getting it mocked up correctly but I'm not sure how to get it just right.

As you might be able to tell the helm sits very very close to my nose, in fact the support bridge (which will be removed) actually touches my nose, squishing it a little. This of course means that a visor would do the same once installed.

I should also note that the hard hat at the front is just barely overlapping the buckets, so I can't really move it up any more.

I have a significant overlap of material in the back of the helmet and I think with some tweaking I might be able to get it right I'm just not sure what adjustment to make.

Here is the bucket flat on the table if that helps, not sure if it does or not.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has, I don't want to progress without some help of what I can try, or just let me know now if I'd be better off just getting a couple more buckets.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03:07 PM »
To get more nose clearance, you could cut a strip of bucket plastic to act as a spacer between your current brow ridge and the hard hat. The problem you're hitting is why I wound up making a custom dome out of bucket, but I needed another inch or inch and a half of clearance, not a few mm.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Got it, what an easy fix haha I didn't even think about. That's why we have you pro's  :D I will give that a shot and see how it goes.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2018, 06:48 PM »
That's why we have you pro's

I just make all this stuff up as I go along... ;) Hope it works out for you vod!

« Reply #24 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Ha well you're a pro compared to me, made up or not. I will keep this post updated with my advancement.

« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2018, 11:51 AM »
And another update to the work. It took me a couple of methods to try and get the bucket to sit off my nose.

At first I tried a complete ring as was suggested, but because of the angle of the helmet it did not take properly.

So I shrunk it down and used more of a shim and that worked perfectly.

I also added additional padding. My sons old alphabet floor mat is working perfectly. (he's older now, and I got his permission)

And finally, I have rough sanded everything with 60 grit sand paper, and cut out the cheek parts from 3mm sintra

So now I return for more opinion and help. Below are the pictures of how it fits now and I need some advice on fit. It is now off my nose and I can see well through the eye's. I think it looks a little short to me but, I can't really tell. It comes down to just past my chin and beard.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Looks like good progress :) Glad you experimented till you found soething that worked! I've got that same kind of foam in my helmets too. albeit less excitingly colored versions of it.

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Me too, I think the combination of both worked really well, and though exciting now I think I will paint the whole interior (foam included) black once I get to that point. Does that look like it is the right length? I don't want it to be too short.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2018, 10:23 PM »
looks good to go, will know for sure when cheeks are in.

« Reply #29 on: Jul 20, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Awesome! then I guess the next step is to glue the panels together, permanently mount the dome,  and bend and attach the cheeks. This is where it gets really real, I'm so excited!!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!