Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 93 Replies
Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #45 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Forgive if this is double post. I believe the rule is within 24 hours and this is beyond that. but please fix if needed.

Guys the stressful part is over!!! I have finally gotten my bucket all glued together and it actually seems pretty solid. I'm still going to reinforce it I have plumbers putty to jam in the gaps that I have and I think I may buy a healthy amount of epoxy (30 minute) to really back up the plastic.

But enough talk here she is in all her unfinished glory!

Its not perfectly even but I can fix all that. I have already glued another brace at the back on the bottom that is drying and then I start to fill all the gaps and sand her down.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #46 on: Sep 18, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Photo links are broken, glad you're making progress vod!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #48 on: Sep 19, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Great progress :)

« Reply #49 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Thank you Sep. So I was thinking and would love some input. On the back I need key slots. I plan to make those out of sintra, should I fill and sculpt the back first or make the cut out first? I know doing the cut out would Save me the time and work, But if I fill and sculpt it first, I can shape the sintra more accurately to the back of the bucket. Just not sure which approach is better.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #50 on: Sep 20, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Whatever you do, before you cut a square out of the middle, do something to brace the bottom so it doesn't warp.  I'm not sure what would be best, since my Bucket from a Bucket build didn't include keyslots.  I just left it flat there. 

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Brace the bottom like Sep said,
Measure it out a couple times and then shape the sintra/foamex to the opening.

QMU#084
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Alright time for a big, big update! I am now about 95% of the way done! I have key slots (thanks to the sacrifice of a broken fan!) and cheeks!

First the fan, It's been sitting in the garage and collecting dust, I brought it out so I could use it for greeblies and I was totally stuck on the key slots and getting it right but not having huge holes in the back of my helmet when inspiration struck.

I was able to trace inside each rectangle and cut out the key holes individually allowing me to keep some strength and structure to the back of the bucket.

Then came the hard part! The cheek and face plates. I apologize for the lack of photographic evidence but take my word, I spent 8 hours over two days prototyping and fitting and bending and redoing the cheeks. I went through I think two card board boxes (my practice and templates) and a 1 x 2 ft piece of sintra trying to get the fit right. Now it's not perfect by any means  and I still have a lot of sanding and filling (and sanding and filling) in my future to get these things to look good and then some sanding and filling before I'm done. But this is still big progress and here are the photos.

Again there were moments of inspiration here. I used the leftover cheek cut outs from the bucket for the inner plate by sheer accident. I was having so much trouble getting the bend right and by chance I just picked it up and checked the fit and boom, it was perfect!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Great idea for the key slots! :) Looking good, cheeks are hard!

« Reply #54 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Cheeks are really hard, that compound curve is tough to hit. I finally accepted the closest I could get and I will have a lot of filling and sanding to do to get the final shape proper. I also used a lot of hot glue (since it's flexible and it sets quickly) so I will have to come in behind and replace that with epoxy so that my face doesn't melt off if I get too hot lol.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #55 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:15 PM »
This is coming along very nicely!  Great find for your keyslots.  You might need to back that with a fine mesh, to prevent people being able to see the back of your head, but definitely a great use for that fan.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #56 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Thanks Hav! I will be wearing a Balaclava for my kit, would that be enough or would I need something right on the inside of the helmet?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #57 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:52 PM »
If you're going with a balaclava, you're good.   ;D

Edit:

Or what Bowfanny's about to say.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2018, 09:58 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #58 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Thanks Hav! I will be wearing a Balaclava for my kit, would that be enough or would I need something right on the inside of the helmet?
Youíll want the mesh in the helmet itself as not having it makes the finished helmet look like itís unfinished. Even when painted it will just look like itís missing substance.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!