Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SWTOR Powertech Helmet build

• 24 Replies
SWTOR Powertech Helmet build
« on: Jun 21, 2018, 03:08 PM »
So I don't think I'm gonna see any approvals on this helmet build but I didn't start it for the club anyways haha.
It started with a Pepakura file that I commissioned from Firefek on the replica forums about 6 years back when I was actually playing SWTOR. I built the pep helmet and the thing was a disaster. I learned that Pep isn't for me. Recently wanted to tackle it again and using that same Pep file I converted it into something my 3d printer could use.

Printed it with ABS on a Zortrax M200 at the lowest resolution I could to speed up the build time. I believe I'm around 45 hours with this one?
Here are some build shots of it as I went through.

Reference Photo from SWTOR

3d model converted from Pep File

Messy build picture

Partially Completed front Picture (Duct tape together)

Sanding and pinning top

Sanding and pinning face and mohawk

More sanding and pinning

Starting to look like something...

That's all I've got so far. Wife told me no more sanding last night so I tossed some bondo on to fill some gaps as ABS loves to warp while it's printing lol.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: SWTOR Powertech Helmet build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2018, 04:19 PM »
sanding... you've discovered the real hobby we've all come to know and love :P

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2018, 04:40 PM »
haha I wish I could say I was a stranger to it...

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2018, 12:49 AM »
Managed to get some painting and sanding time in tonight. Figured I would hit it with some primer to see where the rough spots are.
Still needs alot of work yet but it is starting to look like the picture! Stuck the unbonded pieces together with duct tape and took a few pictures.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2018, 09:07 PM »
That is looking pretty cool.

Late Crusader WIP

Javri' Trex

• Don't Panic
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2018, 11:26 PM »
That is super awesome, would love to be able to 3d print some gear

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2018, 01:46 AM »
So I posted the helmet to the App team and I got this response....

https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155360.0

Does that mean its going to fly as a Crusader era build?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Based on the reply from Kris, I'm going to give a very surprised yes.   So.  Are we building a new Crusader, then?  :D

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I guess so! lol

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Put in another couple hours today.
Did the sanding around the forehead crest by taking a stir stick and hot gluing some sandpaper to it... wasn't pretty but it got the job done.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I find emery boards work great for that kind of area.   If you are up for a little hunting uneven found some a while ago on AliExpress that came in various grits.

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Poured a bunch of time over the weekend into the "dome". Managed to sand all the print lines down and then hit it with some leak seal. I use this as a finish to most of my builds because it adds a very fine texture that hides minor imperfections. I also really like the texture!
Sadly I managed to absolutely mangle the face plate so I need to do a reprint on that one.... such is life. /sigh

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 04:47 PM by Panzer_Elite » Logged
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Small update.
Replacement face has been printed and I have started cleanup on it. Hoping to have that done tonight after work. I also attached the mohawk and side pieces to the top of the head - I can't help be feel like its a megaman helmet right now :)

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2018, 12:25 PM by Panzer_Elite » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Face plate was reprinted and mounted to the rest of the helmet. I started taping and painting.
I'll swing by Canadian tire tonight and I'm thinking I'm going to go with some metallic red ...

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2018, 12:21 PM »
This is coming along great!    If you are looking to get approved with it, they might call out the print lines on the inside of the round ear cup things.   The texture looks good on that bucket.

Late Crusader WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!