Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Foamsmithed weapons

• 7 Replies

Tel Ranis

• How much for the Death Sticks?
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
Foamsmithed weapons
« on: Jun 24, 2018, 02:35 AM »
I was planning a build for a foamsmithed Kopesh style vibrosword.  Is this style material ok under the CRL's?  haven't seen anybody with a foamsmithed melee  weapon.

MMCC #1173
Cabur Akaata #29
Kilted Mando #43

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Foamsmithed weapons
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Eva is not an approvable material for the MMCC. Over time the paint wrinkles and quality deteriorates. We troop multiple events a year. loads of swords in the meds made of sintra, PVC or wood.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Yeah, you're better off with PVC, Sintra, or wood.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Tel Ranis

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, I knew EVA wasn't approved for armor, didn't know about weapons. Thanks

MMCC #1173
Cabur Akaata #29
Kilted Mando #43

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2018, 06:52 PM »
So, I know EVA foam doesn't hold paint very well in the long run, but how well does it hold onto aluminum/silver tape?  If he makes the hilt and the spine of the sword out of sintra or wood, and then puts a foam 'blade' on the spine and cover that in silver tape, how well will that hold up?

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:04 PM »
So, I know EVA foam doesn't hold paint very well in the long run, but how well does it hold onto aluminum/silver tape?  If he makes the hilt and the spine of the sword out of sintra or wood, and then puts a foam 'blade' on the spine and cover that in silver tape, how well will that hold up?

The problem is that the substructure is flexible, so the tape will wrinkle too, since aluminum tape isn't rigid enough on it's own.  When Adam Savage does that on his sword video, he's doing it to a wooden blade.  Honestly I think it would wrinkle as you were pressing it onto the foam to apply it.

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Hmm, an excellent point.  Well, I would have been remiss if I hadn't asked.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Tel Ranis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2018, 11:42 PM »
I found a Kopesh martial arts training tool made out of Poly resin on Ebay. so I can use that. It's carvable and paintable.

MMCC #1173
Cabur Akaata #29
Kilted Mando #43

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!