Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Long road to bucket

• 37 Replies

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
Long road to bucket
« on: Jul 01, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Well, just turned 20 today, and got these as presents

So I can finally start getting my helmet all ready. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the requirements for a rubies helmet to be approved is to replace the visor, the ear caps, range finder, fill the gap between the two halves, and open the vents on the back. If I missed anything please let me know before I start hacking this thing to bits.

"Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you."
―Ranah Teh Naast

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
Re: Long road to bucket
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Here's a pic of it on my head with no modifications/padding/greebles as a test fit. Bit wobbly on my head but I think I can fix it pretty easily, my head's a bit of an odd shape to begin with so it was an uphill battle anyways. Quick question before the process: I've seen some members using the earcaps and rangefinder that comes with the helmet instead of making/changing them with custom ones. Is this allowed or was it a ruling that I've just missed? 

"Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you."
―Ranah Teh Naast

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Well hello there, I'm back! (Even though I never left...)

Anyways, cut out the vents in the back and now in the arduous process of sanding and smoothing them to death without destroying the structural integrity of the helmet. Yay....

Yeah it's currently a work in progress (a work that is moving very slowly due to a heat wave here. When did Virginia become Mustafar?!) but I'll get it eventually. Might hide some of the rough parts by making it into damage on the helmet (the intentional kind, not the I messed up kind). Once that's done I'm going to put some padding inside the helmet to provide some more stability when I'm wearing it (it wobbles a bit) as well as giving it a skeleton so to speak. Also a question for you guys, would any of you recommend caulk as a way to join the two halves together and cover the seam of the dome? Or is there a stipulation that I'm not aware of that forbids that?

―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Also a question for you guys, would any of you recommend caulk as a way to join the two halves together and cover the seam of the dome? Or is there a stipulation that I'm not aware of that forbids that?

I wouldn't recommend it because you'll be rehiding the seam for the rest of the time you own it.  it'll flex more than the paint on top of it, the paint will crack.  The reason that area has to be reinforces is because the pegs and posts in the design don't do a great job of holding it together.  The helmet is designed for a 1 time Halloween costume, not for constant trooping.

A strip of sitra, or other flexible plastic, or pieces of it superglued between the posts, then bondo over the top of the seam so you have something to sand smooth, would be what I'd recommend. You could also fiberglass the inside of it if you're more comfortable with that.   

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:21 AM »
You don’t need to replace the earcaps. A Jango two piece aka a J2P only requires seam hiding, visor replace and that’s about it. Recommended mods for sturdiness are finetglass the interior after installing a 9” craft ring half in the rear base, I used both inner and outer rings glued together for strength.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Well, been awhile hasn't it?
So, may as well show what I've gotten since then.
Helmet has been superglued together, two layers of bondo and automotive putty, inside has been reinforced with scrap sintra. Coat of primer (visible on the dome, wanted it that color so it worked out nicely) and now currently in the weathering process. Speaking of which, here's some pictures of the work in progress.

The back shot was taken before the painting/weathering, looks the same except the lip is white.

So few questions, first, are the Jaig eyes and kill marks alright? I know Jaig eyes are acceptable and I like the rough faded look, but I could be wrong. The kill markings I'm concerned they might get mistaken for blood, unlikely but I could use a second opinion.
Second: The weathering. It's not done so I can only say so much, plan on doing a blackwash and a grime coat with acrylic mixed rubbing alcohol. But at this point does it look decent? I know the claw marks on the cheek look more like paint then scratches, working on expanding those across the visor and the dome when the paint dries enough, might pass it off as warpaint if I can't get it right.

Well, that was scattered. Point being, give me all the advice you can give guys! 

―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Welcome back!

You've done a lot since the last update to your WIP!

Re: the primer coat -- you've got some dripps and runs, and divots that need sanding back to get the paint smooth.  Things like that will pretty much never look like weathering until you do that.  Some of your color work has the same artifacts.

There are some gaps between your earcaps and the helmet that need to be addressed with some kind of filler, sanded smooth, then painted.  I know the j2p earcaps are finickey to get solidly attached -- you may want to superglue them to the side of the helmet.  If you're going to do that, you should sand the area you're gluing back down to plastic first to get a good glue joint.

The scratches need some physical depth to sell themselves... but with a J2p that's tricky because you don't have a lot of thickness to work with.

There's also some cracking along the brow ridge -- is the helmet still flexing there (Some people use a wooden ring from the craft store inside the brow ridge line to help with this), or do you have some paint reactions happening?

I think the kill stripes and Jaig eyes are fine as far as the gore clause goes. 

I don't think you're quite ready for blackwash yet, but if you take care of this stuff, you'll end up with a great bucket!

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Bit of flexing there, currently securing that so it'll stop. Seems easy to fix.

Will do on the superglue with the earcaps, those things are a pain to get on, feel like I might snap the whole thing in two.

The primer problem I can sand without destroying my work (ideally) the only place it doesn't have that is the cheeks cause that's spray paint, all the white, metallic and red is acryllic

Any way to give scratches depth on J2p without destroying the whole thing? I decided to extend the scratches as mentioned above, so if there isn't I'll attempt to pass it off as warpaint. Keyword being attempt.

―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I wouldn't take them up the visor and dome, cause if a creature scratched starting at the dome, they'd miss the top of the inside of the cheek where you already have scratches, and catch the very bottom on the end of the swipe.

As for passing it off as war paint, you'd need to give it some purpose on the rest of the bucket somewhere -- I'd really consider just sanding it back, or painting that section solid.  The only way I can think of to get the depth, would be to glue sintra backing inside behind it and then dremel though the surface, but then you risk all sorts of gnarly gaps between the jango plastic and the sintra, so I don't think it's something I'd try for a bucket I was looking to get approved ina  timely manner.     You may need to go backward a bit to go forward.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Well, a bit late on that since I already extended it, along with some more weathering on the cheeks. I can paint over it easily without loosing the other work with some spray paint and painters tape. Shame, was starting to like it.

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 11:24 PM by Jakor Sevdel » Logged
―Ranah Teh Naast

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Well folks, progress.

Filled in the marks on the forehead and smoothed the earcaps, got rid of the scratches on the cheek and did some sanding on the paint to get rid of as much drips and runs I can. Did some more weathering and a blackwash, so just waiting on my visor and (ideally) we're set.

―Ranah Teh Naast

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Hey!
Good work on this bucket so far. i can tell you tried really hard to make it look as good as you can with what you have to use!

a couple of questions:
1. are you going to build armor in an attempt to be an OM?

Did you by chance sand the surface in between coats of paint?
I see a few bubbles and drips in places that could have been touched up and smoothed over and will help with the application of the jaig eyes and the stripes.

you made the right call to question whether they look like blood or not, I think that going with white stripes and eyes would make the helmet pop.

also with weathering its not so much layering things on top as it is exposing things beneath. so in this case your layers appear to be base primer then metal then grime.  it needs to be reversed.  personally the best way to handle this would be to sand back the paint you have, its going to hurt, but when you have it sanded back shoot the whole thing in a silver basecoat.    your silverbasecoat you will then take some toothpaste and some cuetips and smear your toothpaste over the silver in an attempt to mask off places where you want to silver to show through as if it was weathered.   then after that second layer of paint in black, this is effectively the "primer coat" if this were real armor. 

after the black coat dries wipe down the whole helmet and remove the toothpaste. you might needs some soapy water and a towel.
you should see a difference in the style of weathering immediately.

next reapply the toothpaste and kinda allow the black to be covered in places around the silver. also cover the silver too since you want that visible after your main color of paint.  hit the whole thing with your main color and wait for it to dry again.

at this point you will have a pretty layered look and realistic look to weathering. tape off the helmet T and ears and whatever else you want to paint white. toothpaste over the weathering one more time, and spray. after all of this you should have a properly painted and realistic helmet that is of a much higher quality.

be sure to check the brow ridge and clean up the runs from your paints there too.

final touches include blackwashes and weathering with other stlyes of paint to really bring home and sell the weathered look/ reccomend adding of stripes and jaig eyes here using templates and not handpainting with runny paints as it will look sloppy.

|B.O.M.B. #89|M.A.C.K. #52| Invasions: 15 |Educational Events on Record: 8| Joined 03/2017|

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:00 AM »
I am building armor, have my plates cut out and working on heat forming. I think an explanation is in order (familiar with the toothpaste trick, it's quite useful  :D.)  My helmet concept included colors that the primer coat already is so I found it redundant to paint grey over the primer it was exactly what I needed. The bumps sadly are there because the white is hand painted acrylic, which is why the black has no bumps since it's spray paint. Since I only had the primer and the hand painted portions I applied my weathering by hand in an attempt to work backwards like I had done on my weapons (it worked alright there), clearly it did not here. The curse of this little thing is time, something I lack (it's hard to make a kit in the confines of a college dorm room. so summer was my best bet, running short on days so I pushed forward.) In other words I've made my bed and now I'm stuck with it till fall break which will consist of removing all this and setting myself back to square one.  ??? How's the old saying go? If I had known the trouble I would have gotten into I wouldn't have done it at all? Ah well, when in doubt, call it character building.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2018, 12:05 AM by Jakor Sevdel » Logged
―Ranah Teh Naast

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:22 AM »
it may seem redundant, but hopefully it can help. the primer layer isnt really a true primer, even if you want a primer grey color for the final color by going in this order it will bring the quality of your work up to top notch, i get waiting until fall break and having to take time, it took me 18 months to build. im lazy so i forget things like this, but where abouts are you from? have you reached out to your local clan and your local ruus to see if they can find time to mentor you in person or at an armor party?

|B.O.M.B. #89|M.A.C.K. #52| Invasions: 15 |Educational Events on Record: 8| Joined 03/2017|

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:25 AM »
Firestorm is the local clan in my area, been attempting to get to know the members but been busy with RL and other things. Been looking into armor parties that don't require a major trek, which is quite common with my positioning, unfortunately.

―Ranah Teh Naast

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!