Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

enviorment pack

• 9 Replies
enviorment pack
« on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:53 AM »
howdy all!! for my environmental mando I'm wanting to do a backpack with different environmental sensors on it and throw the data up on a display, I'm thinking Arduino and oled displays I think they are called. anyone have any tips to make this a reality?

If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger gun!

Vorpal

Re: enviorment pack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2018, 03:51 PM »
you should be able to do temp, light and humidity. Another idea could be gps data

ti his kov'nyn

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:38 PM »
You can throw in a voltmeter, something to check battery level. But i think you should think about using also the gauntlet. It's useless for u having the output screen on your backpack. How can you check levels if they're on your backpack? You can also think about using, fake data. You don't need real sensors, you can use something that looks like data. It should make everything simpler.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:46 PM »
So i actually thought of the read out on the back thing, my idea was to make it look like a piece of handheld gear my guy hacked to be able to mount it on a pack for when im on the move. I was thinking about using a rasberry pi for it so it could have other functions too!

Kurz

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:53 PM »
This way it could work. You can Think about a detachable pad wired to the backpack. Maybe with magnets? The electronics depends a lot on what functions you want.

OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:55 PM »
If i could get ACTUAL enviroment data that would be bad -censored- because i like to think im better than i am lol, but failing that i may just have a loop running on the pi of fake data, and i think i could magnetize it, im putting it in an alice pack fram!

Kurz

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Well actually Arduino boards (and clones of course) can support a ton of real sensors, (light, noise, temperature etc.) and the internet and youtube host a ton of tutorials on how to mount them. I think you can do it vod! For the display i was thinking about something like a single hand held data pad with your oled display, wired with a small corrugated tube, in which you can run all the wires connected to your board, which will be on your backpack with all the sensors. And some flashing LEDs. LEDs make everything better. You know, something like:
If temperature >30°c then turn on Red led
If temperature <10°c then turn on blue led.

OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2018, 07:18 PM »
I was just doing some reasearch and i found a bunch of tempature sensors and such that are seperate displays that can hook into the boards so i may do that a hybrid gauntlet and back mounted system!

Kurz

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Yeah, also something like this
You just need to decide what you like the most

OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2018, 06:49 AM »
A dettachable pad with coil wire would be so rad. Something similar to a PRC-117:
http://www.edithtao.com/b/PRC---117---g-radio-panel-removable-separation/389957.html

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!