Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lynx's Build (Pg4. Finally, full kit!)

• 51 Replies

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Lynx's Build
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2018, 06:46 PM »
So the flight suit I may be getting is definitely green, I'm trying to decide on a new color scheme.

Current plan is black nomex flight gloves, flak vest, boots, waist wrap, and kama (if I do the kama idea afterall, still undecided).  Flight suit is green.  I'm thinking maybe earth tones would match best, so brown/tan/dark green?

Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2018, 11:44 PM »
I like the first picture. You'd be just a little brighter. I like it.

ART TEAM LEAD | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Started working on a jetpack today using scrap, junk, and spare parts.  Thread for it is in the jetpack forum:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=156896.0

Made the base gauntlets tonight, using the piano hinge & pvc pipe method.  They fit pretty snugly on bare arms so when I get the flight suit and gloves added into the mix they may be a little too tight.  I suppose I can adjust the closure to account for that, and cover any gap left on the inside of the arm with an extra piece of sintra.  Unfortunately I couldnt go any bigger, as this is already using 4" pvc pipe (and 6" would've been way too big).

(didnt even notice my daughter's hand showed up in that last picture, the little gremlin!)

I still have to do the equipment/attachments obviously, trying to decide on what I'll go with as far as wrist mounted goodies.  I'll probably do a rail/blaster attachment on one arm (as seen on the death watch guys & pre-viszla in clone wars), as I have some parts that'll work perfectly for that.  I may do a flamethrower on the opposite gauntlet.  I want to run a fuel line from one gauntlet to the backpack/jetpack if I go that route.

Update of the jetpack, had to alter it a bit as some of the parts just didnt look right.  With the added heat shielding around the nozzles and plating over the motor it looks a lot better I think.  I still have to re-attach the exhaust nozzles, waiting on everything else to dry first, then it'll be on to priming and painting.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 10:44 AM by Havelock » Logged

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Lynx's Build (gauntlets/jetpack started)
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:44 AM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:11 PM »
That is a badshebs jetpack!

As for color scheme, I agree with Tek on the lighter colored plates.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I actually am abandoning the junk jetpack I think.  It looks great in pictures, but it came out too small (fits inbetween my shoulderblades, and looks pretty tiny on me, might be great for a kid's jetpack though) and after putting primer and a silver paint coat on it it looks really rough and shoddy.

I have a new design I'm going to build out of PVC pipe instead, should only run about 40-50$ in material cost for 3x 4"x24" pipes, 1 each 3" and 2" by 24" pipes, and some endcaps.  Here's a rough draft of the new jetpack drawn up in gimp and sized to my back.  It'll be roughly 15" wide, as opposed to the less than 12" of the other one, as well as look bulkier and more squared off:

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2018, 09:19 AM »
That looks amazing! If you make a how-to on that jetpack, I would be forever in your debt. I'm thinking I need a jetpack, but had no idea how to make or get one that was within a reasonable price range.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018, 09:26 AM by T_Jay00 » Logged

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2018, 12:19 PM »
That looks amazing! If you make a how-to on that jetpack, I would be forever in your debt. I'm thinking I need a jetpack, but had no idea how to make or get one that was within a reasonable price range.

Sure thing,  I'll take pictures as I go and document everything.  My sintra finally came in yesterday so i probably won't work on the jetpack until my armor is done.

EDIT:

Started tracing out my patterns onto the sintra sheets.  Looks like I'll easily be able to fit all of my armor and trauma plating/detail pieces onto two sheets (well, about 1-1/2 sheets, got a lot of room left on the second sheet still), which is great because it'll leave me the extra material I need to work on the jetpack, gauntlet details, guns, etc.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018, 01:58 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I'm sad to hear that you're abandoning the jet pack, because it was really cool.  But I can respect your decision.   ;D  I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your build progress.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23
« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I actually am abandoning the junk jetpack I think.  It looks great in pictures, but it came out too small (fits inbetween my shoulderblades, and looks pretty tiny on me,

The jetpacks in Rebels are very small.

I think your junk jetpack is very cool looking.

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: Armor!)
« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2018, 02:52 AM »
Excited for this update, I've been busy all night working on cutting out and shaping the sintra into my armor plates and test fitting a few.  This is starting to turn from a bunch of concepts into reality!

UPDATE:

Working on the gauntlets a bit more tonight, including my fuel lines and flamethrowers.  Plenty of room left for the other attachments/equipment I have planned, too:

EDIT:

Got some extra form added to the gauntlets (as a base for buttons/interfaces) and I'm working on putting together some explosive dart launchers and other little greeblies to improve the detail:

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2018, 10:10 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: Armor!)
« Reply #26 on: Aug 05, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Trauma plating has been shaped and glued to the base plates.  I tried purple primer and pvc cement on the collar plate first, and it failed miserably - the cement just wont hold for some reason.  After that failed I just ended up using gorilla superglue and that held quick and much stronger than the pvc cement.  I'll probably silicone around all the edges of the plates to give a welded on appearance and help fill the gaps where the trauma plate and base plate dont exactly line up.  Also have to trim down the edges that overhang.

Also got the dart launchers added to the gauntlets, and some other details.  The left gauntlet is supposed to have a holo communicator attachment, while the right one is just a button instead.  Not sure I'm happy with how those details came out but I may improve on them further.  Also still have some buttons and dials to add around them, but ran out of superglue doing the trauma plates.

EDIT:

Decided to leave the overhang on the shoulder and ab trauma plates, kinda gives it some extra 3 dimensionality that I like.

I had to re-make the collar plate, this time without the extra trauma piece on it, I didnt like how it came out before.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2018, 01:34 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: New jetpack in progress)
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Working on a new jetpack to replace the 'junk' one, this one is much better sized and hopefully matches the design of my armor more:

I still have a lot of work to do on it.  Exhaust nozzles arent on yet, and I need to add extra plating to the side tubes to break up the simple cylinder shape more.  Also greeblies, lots of greeblies.  The two attachments on the middle fuel cells are for the fuel lines that will go to the gauntlet flamethrowers.

Lynx7386

• We aim to misbehave
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: New pictures added of full build so far)
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Ok, got the jetpack more or less finalized (before paint), and new pictures of all the cleaned up plates and new gauntlet details.  Lots of pics incoming:

Jetpack assembly with connected gauntlets. Tube length will have to be cut down but I wont know exactly how much until I have the entire kit put together, that'll probably be one of the last steps.

Jetpack and gauntlets, tilted up for a better view of the pack.

Lower body armor (from top to bottom): Kidney plate, Cod plate, Thigh plates, Knee plates, Shin plates, and Boot plates. Shin plates still need some reshaping, and the knee plates may or may not be kept as-is, they're kind of a custom work in progress.

Right gauntlet. Flamethrower at top, with attached explosive dart launcher (yellow tip is the dart). This gauntlet features a holocomm interface for communications.

Jetpack exhaust nozzles, detail view. The nozzles were made from a disassembled track light casing (LED and other bits removed), with a toilet bolt cap glued into the center to give that turbine appearance. Each exhaust nozzle is angled slightly outward

Lower body armor, different view.

Left gauntlet. This one features the same flamethrower and dart launcher as the right gauntlet, but the holocomm interface is replaced with various other controls - targeting, remote detonators, etc.

Jetpack, air intake detail view. The air intakes were made from the outer casing of a battery powered touch-light.

Upper body armor, from top to bottom: Back plate, shoulder bells, collar plate, Left/right breastplates with center diamond, gut plate, and the two off to the sides are the backhand plates for the gloves.

Upper body armor, alternate view.

Thats all for now, hopefully I can start some of the painting next weekend.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!