Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lynx's Build (Pg4. Finally, full kit!)

• 51 Replies
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: Armor!)
« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2018, 02:52 AM »
Excited for this update, I've been busy all night working on cutting out and shaping the sintra into my armor plates and test fitting a few.  This is starting to turn from a bunch of concepts into reality!

UPDATE:

Working on the gauntlets a bit more tonight, including my fuel lines and flamethrowers.  Plenty of room left for the other attachments/equipment I have planned, too:

EDIT:

Got some extra form added to the gauntlets (as a base for buttons/interfaces) and I'm working on putting together some explosive dart launchers and other little greeblies to improve the detail:

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2018, 10:10 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged
Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: Armor!)
« Reply #26 on: Aug 05, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Trauma plating has been shaped and glued to the base plates.  I tried purple primer and pvc cement on the collar plate first, and it failed miserably - the cement just wont hold for some reason.  After that failed I just ended up using gorilla superglue and that held quick and much stronger than the pvc cement.  I'll probably silicone around all the edges of the plates to give a welded on appearance and help fill the gaps where the trauma plate and base plate dont exactly line up.  Also have to trim down the edges that overhang.

Also got the dart launchers added to the gauntlets, and some other details.  The left gauntlet is supposed to have a holo communicator attachment, while the right one is just a button instead.  Not sure I'm happy with how those details came out but I may improve on them further.  Also still have some buttons and dials to add around them, but ran out of superglue doing the trauma plates.

EDIT:

Decided to leave the overhang on the shoulder and ab trauma plates, kinda gives it some extra 3 dimensionality that I like.

I had to re-make the collar plate, this time without the extra trauma piece on it, I didnt like how it came out before.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2018, 01:34 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged
Re: Lynx's Build (Update: New jetpack in progress)
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Working on a new jetpack to replace the 'junk' one, this one is much better sized and hopefully matches the design of my armor more:

I still have a lot of work to do on it.  Exhaust nozzles arent on yet, and I need to add extra plating to the side tubes to break up the simple cylinder shape more.  Also greeblies, lots of greeblies.  The two attachments on the middle fuel cells are for the fuel lines that will go to the gauntlet flamethrowers.

Re: Lynx's Build (Update: New pictures added of full build so far)
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Ok, got the jetpack more or less finalized (before paint), and new pictures of all the cleaned up plates and new gauntlet details.  Lots of pics incoming:

Jetpack assembly with connected gauntlets. Tube length will have to be cut down but I wont know exactly how much until I have the entire kit put together, that'll probably be one of the last steps.

Jetpack and gauntlets, tilted up for a better view of the pack.

Lower body armor (from top to bottom): Kidney plate, Cod plate, Thigh plates, Knee plates, Shin plates, and Boot plates. Shin plates still need some reshaping, and the knee plates may or may not be kept as-is, they're kind of a custom work in progress.

Right gauntlet. Flamethrower at top, with attached explosive dart launcher (yellow tip is the dart). This gauntlet features a holocomm interface for communications.

Jetpack exhaust nozzles, detail view. The nozzles were made from a disassembled track light casing (LED and other bits removed), with a toilet bolt cap glued into the center to give that turbine appearance. Each exhaust nozzle is angled slightly outward

Lower body armor, different view.

Left gauntlet. This one features the same flamethrower and dart launcher as the right gauntlet, but the holocomm interface is replaced with various other controls - targeting, remote detonators, etc.

Jetpack, air intake detail view. The air intakes were made from the outer casing of a battery powered touch-light.

Upper body armor, from top to bottom: Back plate, shoulder bells, collar plate, Left/right breastplates with center diamond, gut plate, and the two off to the sides are the backhand plates for the gloves.

Upper body armor, alternate view.

Thats all for now, hopefully I can start some of the painting next weekend.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #29 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Looks very cool, ner vod.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #30 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Put it on!!!
Put it on!!!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #31 on: Aug 12, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Lol I wish I could but I have no way to attach anything yet.  Still need a flight suit, vest, gloves, boots, etc.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #32 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:52 PM »
tape works :p pretty sure most of us have pics in our wip of armor taped on lol

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Bluenpainters tape is a wonderful thing indeed

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #34 on: Aug 17, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Ok so these are the best pictures I could get tonight.  Fitting this stuff with cheap knock-off duck tape that doesnt adhere to anything, by yourself, and trying to get everything to stay in place while you take pictures with a timer, is definitely not easy.  This is the last chance I have to modify any pieces before I paint them, so I could use some comments =P

I had to take these in three sections: upper body, lower body, and then the jetpack by itself.  The jetpack is relatively heavy and I currently have no way to actually attach it to the back plate, I'm still trying to figure that out (could definitely use suggestions there).  Worst case, Once the paint is done I can actually put some screws from the inside of the back plate through into the jetpack to hold it on, but I have to find some way to also make sure that the back plate is super secure to my body so that it doesnt fall off along with the jetpack.

The backplate is, for some odd reason, riding really high in those pictures, it sits about 1-2 inches above my shoulders with a noticable gap, but I know it fits lower than that when I hold it onto my back so I think it's just a case of not being able to properly tape it into place by myself.  When combined, the bottom of the jetpack (the flat plate between the exhaust ducts) will be even with the top of the curved cutout on the bottom of the back plate.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:16 AM »
The fangs on the chest plates are sticking away from your body a bit.

It's hard to tell much about spacing given the angle of the photos, but spacing can be fixed after paint.  Before you paint the backplate... I'd get someone else to hold it on you and take side photos.  It needs to be sitting on you without airgaps.

Trim some off your thighs so they're not overlapping the knees -- I realize they slid down, but they're still goin to be crowding.  Ditto for the top of your shins interacting with the bottom of your knees.

A lot of people do  the straps and parachute clips through the backplate to the jetpack thing.  Look for some jetpack builds and you should be able to find some photos.

« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2018, 01:20 AM »
The fangs on the chest plates are sticking away from your body a bit.

It's hard to tell much about spacing given the angle of the photos, but spacing can be fixed after paint.  Before you paint the backplate... I'd get someone else to hold it on you and take side photos.  It needs to be sitting on you without airgaps.

Trim some off your thighs so they're not overlapping the knees -- I realize they slid down, but they're still goin to be crowding.  Ditto for the top of your shins interacting with the bottom of your knees.

A lot of people do  the straps and parachute clips through the backplate to the jetpack thing.  Look for some jetpack builds and you should be able to find some photos.

The fangs on the chest plates are another victim of the poor tape, when I hold them on they're very form fitting and nothing sticks out.  Same goes for the back plate, it fits pretty snug at the top and around the sides, the only spots where there's any kind of 'gap' are at the back of the arms where it curves around, but that's more because sintra doesnt do compound curves than anything.  It'll also be hidden by other parts of the armor.

I'll see what I can do about the thigh plates.  I dont want to trim the shin plates anymore (they've already been trimmed down twice and right now they feel a bit too short).  If anything, the knee plates are too tall and I could take some off the top of those.

Been a long day of painting, and I've run into a couple almost disastrous problems.  Primarily, I made the rookie mistake of using silicone to fill any gaps between my plates (as well as a couple cracks that happened while cutting the sintra), and everywhere I put silicone the paint didnt stick at all.  So, when I was doing the masking and gold layer with painter's tape, pulling the tape off pulled half of my paint off as well.  I managed to fix the majority of it by repainting those areas by hand with a brush (spraying the paint into a container and then using it as a liquid paint with a small brush).  I just hope it holds, and that once I put a clear coat on everything will be held in place for eternity.

Which brings me to a question: What clearcoat should I use?  This has all been done with rustoleum paint, both gloss and metalics, so I want a clearcoat that wont interact with them.  Last time I did a spraypaint project was on my wife's mountain bike, and when I went to spray the clearcoat it completely ruined my beautiful paint job by cracking and tearing up the paint as it dried.  Any suggestions?

The other issue is that I used petroleum jelly for all the areas where I wanted the black coat to rub off and show the silver metallic paint underneath (weathering/damage).  Problem is, now that I've wiped everything off with a rag and have my nice weathered armor, its all covered in a thin sheen of petroleum jelly that makes everything greasy.  I sure as hell cant clearcoat over that, so what can I use to remove the petroleum without damaging the paint?

Anyways, pictures of my progress so far - not pictured are the thigh plates, back plate, and boot plates, because all of those didnt have a gold coat added (they're just black gloss with the weathering/damage):

I plan to paint the exhaust nozzles for the jetpack back to a metallic silver, just havent had a chance to yet.  Unless I mask everything again I'll probably have to do that by hand.  I also still need to hand paint in all the details on the gauntlets/buttons, and add some detail to the jetpack.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 05:19 PM by Havelock » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

Re: Lynx's Build (Update: Paint done! (mostly))
« Reply #37 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Clearcoat: Stick to rustoleum since you used rustoleum paints --  I like to use a matte clearcoat to take the shiny down a bit

Petroleum jelly:  Rubbing Alochol and Warm Soapy Water are going to be the safest bets -- with WsW being safer.  But... either of them will probably take the paint off the silicone.    You may end up neededing to dig enough of it out so that you can get a layer of epoxy in that sticks to the sintra on either side of the trench.  But I may be wrong, haven't tried painting the stuff.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #38 on: Aug 19, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Looking good, vod. Awesome work!

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #39 on: Aug 19, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Baby wipes mate.... should shift the vaseline whilst being gentle on baby's skin makes them ideal.

« Reply #40 on: Aug 19, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Baby wipes mate.... should shift the vaseline whilst being gentle on baby's skin makes them ideal.

I'll try that, I have a 15 month old daughter so baby wipes are already available =p

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #41 on: Aug 20, 2018, 05:21 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 07:37 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #42 on: Aug 20, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Nice work, Lynx. As far as a harness for the jetpack, I recommend this from TK-409:

Keep it up.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #43 on: Aug 20, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Nice work, Lynx. As far as a harness for the jetpack, I recommend this from TK-409:

Keep it up.

Just a few things...

I didnt cut the slots out from my backplate, for various reasons.  At this point, my plan is to bolt the jetpack directly to the backplate from the inside (so it will be attached without anything being visible, and then running straps from the backplate wings around my shoulders and waist.  These straps would be above the flak vest, but under any other armor plates.  I'm a bit torn between whether I should make the straps more or less visible: I could make them out of black nylon strapping like you see on backpacks, which would make it blend in with the vest material at least at a distance, or I could make them out of leather/pleather so they're visible and add detail to the kit as a whole.  Any suggestions?

The same issue goes for all of my armor plates, particularly the Cod/Kidney plate and the thigh/knee/shin plates: I want to have them attach via straps (probably velcro straps) around the back of my legs for the thigh/knee/shin plates and similar straps between the cod/kidney plate sides where they line up.  I can make these straps out of nylon or out of leather, I just dont know which route would be best.

I also havent figured out a closure mechanism for my gauntlets yet.  I was thinking of going the same route, using straps or leather and buckles to close them up on the outside.

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #44 on: Aug 24, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Leather will be more likely to last, nylon works though.
I worry that running the straps over but under will lead to plate shifting and cause alignment issues. Your best bet is to wear the harness under the flak and do decorative straps that run outside the chest plates instead of under them and then connect them to a waist belt in order to reduce strain on your back. After a mile or two in parade a jetpack can get to be a pain.

I'd go magnets and straps so if you needed to take off the pack you dont have holes in your armor.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #45 on: Sep 16, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Havent been able to get much done lately due to hobby funds running low, but I did pick up a set of enamel model paints and did some of the detail work on the gauntlets and jetpack thrusters:

« Reply #46 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:56 PM »
I'm almost there!

(Note: Flight suit, leather belts, left glove, leg armor, etc. is all not on in this picture)

I'm aware that many parts of my kit are not going to be up to CRL, but I rushed to finish this for comicon (actually missed it, was last weekend) and halloween tomorrow night.  I still have a lot of work to do on the kit overall, but I think it's coming along pretty well considering this is my first ever venture into DIY cosplay.  Already have ideas for my 'next' kit, and now that I've done this once I can learn from all the mistakes I made (and there were many).

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
Re: Lynx's Build (Pg4. Almost finished)
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2018, 09:48 AM »
That looks great. You've done an amazing job on everything. No worries about CRL compliance - this is why we have Ruus'alore to help you. They will guide you in the right direction. It is coming together nicely. Keep it up!

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
Re: Lynx's Build (Pg4. Almost finished)
« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Finally got to suit up in my full kit for my company's halloween party tonight, was a blast and I got a ton of compliments on the outfit.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Lynx's Build (Pg4. Finally, full kit!)
« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2018, 07:30 AM »
You can SIT and KNEEL!! For a first build, that is quite the accomplishment! :like: :like:

Honestly, a couple of minor adjustments, and this one could be good to go. Just talk to your Ruus, see what they say.

Good luck, and good hunting!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!