Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Repairing knee plates

• 3 Replies
Repairing knee plates
« on: Jul 28, 2018, 01:29 AM »
Hi I'm new here and I was hoping you could help me with a simple issue.
I bought a set of armor of Etsy and it's great, but the plastic is a little soft. I ended up kneeling on a walkway and it left dimples all in my left knee cap. What could I use as a filler to smooth it over again. Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2018, 08:59 AM by gemyniraptor86 » Logged

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Repairing knee plates
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2018, 10:10 AM »
As long as you don’t mind repainting, you can use bondo spot putty filler, wood putty filler, resin, or JB plasti-weld to fill in the dents.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Try hitting the dimpled area with a heat gun for a few seconds.  Not long enough to reshape it, just enough to get it hot.  That might relax the damage a bit so it requires less filler.  You should also rework how your knees sit.  Try attaching them a touch higher (maybe a half inch or so) and running a reinforcement strap from the center front of the knee up to the thigh (or waist, inside the flightsuit, if you don't have thigh plates).  That way, when you kneel, your actual knee will bend UNDER the plate, and when it touches ground, the plate itself will be resting upright on the ground rather than between knee and ground.

I had the same problem in the past.  That's how I fixed it.  That and a silver paint marker and some red-brown drybrushing to make the damage look 'real'.  Authentic weathering. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Exactly what I expected but I wanted to check here before I did any damage. Appreciate your time

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!