Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Trying to decide on colors & pattern

• 18 Replies
Trying to decide on colors & pattern
« on: Jul 13, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Any suggestions?  Initially I was going to go with black and red after seeing a setup like that online, but red really isnt my color.  Typically I'd go for green or orange, but for some reason they just arent sitting well with me on this armor set.

Thinking maybe black and gold, with a reflective gold t visor, something like this:

I'm just tossing ideas around right now, havent cut out the sintra yet (still sizing the paper patterns).

Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Trying to decide on colors & pattern
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2018, 04:48 PM »
I like it.   :like:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:26 PM »
IMO, black and red are overdone. Really like this black and gold! :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:12 AM »
What color would you guys recommend for the vest/flight suit underneath this?  I've been told that black on black ends up looking bad in photos a lot of the time.  I think the black and gold armor would work ok if I can make it not blend in too much with the soft parts of the armor underneath.

Thinking maybe a dark grey, or grey-blue for the flight suit and vest might be ok?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Being from Pittsburgh, I have to upvote the black and gold. :)

If you stick with black on black, you can play with textures and finishes to distinguish the parts.  Like, for example, leather or pleather for your vest and twill for your flightsuit, with satin black for your plates.  That or you can incorporate a dark charcoal grey like you mention.  If you used black on your soft parts too, the gold will really stand out (possibly in a good way).  Anyone who went through a goth phase as a teenager knows that there are a range of blacks that you can work with.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Ok so I went back and re-did a photo concept of the armor coloring using some of the template guides.  The gold parts of the armor, other than the kneeplates, chest diamond, and the helmet, are all trauma plating (extra pieces of sintra attached over the base armor plates).  I was messing around with designs on paper and came up with that initial upside down chevron shape on the ab plate, and then decided to continue that general shape/theme to the rest of the armor, primarily the shoulder bells and helmet patterning.

Could use any opinions/thoughts/input on this.  I'm still not 100% set on the gold and black coloring, I also dont know what color my flight suit will be yet (I just found out that I may be able to acquire one of my grandfather's flight suits, he was an air force fighter pilot during vietnam, and it would be an amazing honor to be able to use his suit as part of my outfit).  I'm relatively certain it will be green if I end up getting ahold of it, so I may have to change my colors a bit to match up with that.

I've also been trying to come up with a personal emblem/logo to put alongside the typical mythosaur skull on my armor, I want to use either a tusk cat or a nexu as the base.  I came up with this tusk cat design, but I'm not sure i'm sold on it yet:

Toying with the idea of making a kama-style half skirt attached to the back part of the belt/kidney plates, not sure I'm going that route yet.  Also was curious how the mythosaur skull would look on the back plate, not sure if I like it or not.  At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to make a jetpack or just leave the back armored, or possibly do a layered/segmented armor plate on the back to give more detail.  I'm also considering potentially using the back plate as an attachment point for weaponry, there's a variety of things I could do with that... I've been wanting to try my hand at making a rotary heavy repeating blaster, which would need a sturdy and large point to anchor to when not being held, and the back plate would be ideal for that.  Could also attach it via an ammo-feed/power chord system to a supply pack on the back plate, kinda like the guy had in rogue one:

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2018, 09:31 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2018, 06:46 PM »
One of the posters over on the SWTOR fan art forums (SourOrange) responded to my request for a nexu logo to use on my armor (i know it's not a tusk cat, but it's a little more recognizable at least), and also included a suggested sketch for how to apply it to the helmet:

I put it into gimp and overlaid the mask onto the nme props assassin helmet, the one I play to use, and came up with this:

Any opinions on it? 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2018, 01:25 AM »
I really like that Nexu desing! I think it could work very well as details on the armor plates as well.

digitalviking

• Ammon - haar Ve'vut Solus
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2018, 10:38 AM »
I love the original Black and Gold concept, because it was very minimalistic and the gold was the awe-factor because it's not being overused on the design. I'd personally go back to that. As for the Nexu, love that idea on the helmet! Maybe have it like almost a warpaint look, so use a cheap thick paint brush. Just be careful it doesn't look (too much) like blood. Then you get into gore and that's a no no.

I'd stick with the minimalistic approach to the gold. Be unique!

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2018, 12:53 PM »
i'm a sucker for black/gold, and personally, i think the helmet would look really cool if you did that color, with the nexu markings done in silver/scratched away to a silver underlayer

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:36 PM »
digitalviking is right, do it in any other color but red please lol. black and gold look good "hunting Mandalore are we?"

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 PM »
digitalviking is right, do it in any other color but red please lol. black and gold look good "hunting Mandalore are we?"

Hunting mandalore?  Not sure I get the reference

Raynos Ge'tal

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Look up mandalorian legacy armor. It's one of the comics. A mandalorian repainted his armor and its black and gold. Comment made is ,"hunting mandalore are we?" Or in the same vein as that.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:51 PM »

This one? ;) :laugh:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Well I did end up going with black and gold (gloss black and metallic Gold), I'll post pictures in my build thread once I have the paint finished

EDIT:  Paint is (mostly) done:

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2018, 07:55 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Shiny!

Damien Snow

• Bic ratiin lap'a vamte akay, 'kay va bic b narir.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2018, 05:51 AM »
That looks great!!

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu ...

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Very shiny. Loving how it comes together.

How well does the cod and everything fit? Sometimes I see members that trim down the wings of the cod so it is more comfortable

« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Very shiny. Loving how it comes together.

How well does the cod and everything fit? Sometimes I see members that trim down the wings of the cod so it is more comfortable

Fits pretty good, movement is definitely restricted with all of the armor on but not too much.   I did cut the point off of the bottom of the cod plate so it fit better.   The bands that go around the waist match up perfectly with the kidney plate on my back, so the two pieces together fit like a belt.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!