Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mik ika's WIP 2

• 39 Replies
Mik ika's WIP 2
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Hey vods! I'm starting a new thread as the last one exceeded 30 days without an update. With that out of the way, to business. My armor is coming well as I have most of the plates completed and looking good. I was originally trying to get it ready for the Tampa bay comic con, but it was just not ready. I went to the con anyway and had a great time with my family. I even spotted some Mandos too. With the con over, I am going back over to really touch up any small things and maybe redo some components to get them right. I'm defiantly redoing my gauntlets as I am not entirely happy with the way they are turning out. I consider them prototypes anyway.

Here is a nice picture for you guys to see
Tell me what you think
Thanks vods
Mik ika

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Mik ika's WIP 2
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 06:11 PM »
It would be really helpful if you at least dropped a link to your original wip. Feel free to post to your own older post-- that warning is there because sometimes the original poster may no longer be active. But if you're posting to your own thread, you know you're still active.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:53 PM »
What material are you building your kit out of?

Aden  :vizsla:

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Hey vods! I did not know that about the post; thanks for informing me of that. Here is the link to the old post: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155496.0

My kit is made out of plas tex, which is a waterproof wall panel. It is not exactly sintra, but it has sintra-like qualities. It is flexible and quite durable as well. I have found that you do not have to heat it to shape it, but some time out in the sun makes it easier to shape. Once I Velcro the pieces onto my flight suit and vest, I think that will help it hold its shape. I will probably test that out to make sure though. 

Thanks vods!
Mik ika

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Right now everything looks a bit flat.  So will be interested to see it mounted and on you.  Have not worked with plas-texx -- appears to take paint reasonably well though :)

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Hey vods! Sorry I have been so quiet. I just started college and have taken some time off from my kit. I was able to find a little time today to attach one of my shoulder bells to the flight suit. I have not gotten far with attaching the plates, but it is a start.

Thanks vods for your help so far
Mik'ika

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Glad to see you back!

Right now that shoulder plate needs additional shaping to fit the curve of your shoulder better, or needs trimming so it doesn't extend on a flat plane past your shoulder so far.

Keep it up!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice. How much should I trim off? I am going to try and shape it some more to fit my shoulder, but my shoulders are pretty narrow as I have sticks for arms (almost anyway,) so that could make it a little tricky.

Thanks vod!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:22 PM »
If you're going to trim, trim it so it doesn't extend off your arm so much that it makes the fabric form a flat plane extending from your arm.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Hey vods!

I've been trying to shape the plate some more and I think I have shaped it as much as it will shape. I have been trying to avoid trimming, but if I have to I will. Take a look and tell me what you guys think. Whatever I do to this shoulder bell I will do to the other.

Thanks vods!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:03 AM »
Hey Vods!

Sorry I have been so quiet. College and home have had me pretty busy and I have not really had much time to work on my armor. However, I have finally been able to start back up. Since I have started up again, I have run into a few hiccups. First is that the paint is pealing off of some of the plates. That is my fault as I only sanded the edges and not the whole plate when I painted each piece. Second is I am having trouble shaping the plates. The plas-tex will only shape a little, but not a lot. Also, I think shaping has been an issue due to my size, as I am only 5'5 and 112-114 pounds. But I am dedicated to this and I am not letting that stop me. On the upside, I have started work on my weapons. I have crafted two prototype beskads, and I am considering making a spear; because being a fencer I like bladed weapons. I might get a blaster as well or two as well (still on the fence about that though). It also occured to me that I never showed off a concept, so here it is:

Thanks for your help vods!
Mik'ika

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Nice!  :like: :like: :like:

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Try using self-etching primer on your plates before you paint them. The primer will etch itself onto the surface and create a good tooth for the paint to adhere to.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Thanks vods!

If you cannot tell already, blue and black are two of my favorite colors; I also have a thing for capes as well. I will try the primer as I am probably going to have to repaint some of my plates. Do I need to sand the plate before applying the primer?  I am also thinking about using straps instead of velcro to attach the plates, as I am thinking that might help with shaping.  I mentioned my beskads earlier and I thought I would show you my prototypes:

Thanks again vods
Mik'ika

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2018, 05:43 PM »
You should definitely sand off any paint before priming. Get the surface as smooth as possible. I don't have any experience using straps for armor mounting, but I know there are some on the forums who do. You could also consider snaps, rivets, chicago screws, or magnets if you're not interested in velcro.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2018, 07:53 PM »
You do realise you will need a flak vest..... also if i were you i'd get all your plates shaped before you start sanding and repainting anything as the heat from your heat gun could likely cause your paint to blister and peel.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving vods,

Thanks for the tip. I am going to go through my plates to determine which ones need to be repainted, as not all of them are noticeably cracked. As for my weapons, I am making some progress on them. I was working on the crossguard for my beskad, until I filleted my finger. I know I should wear gloves, but I always forget to. Mandalor even said to wear gloves his videos, which I have watched a bunch of times. Anyway, the beskad is not ready for reveal so I have drawn up a concept. Keep in mind this is a crude drawing as I am not the best of drawers.

Thanks vods!

Mik'ika

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Hey vods!

My finger has healed enough for me to resume working on my kit. I am taking a break from armor and now focusing on weapons. I am hoping to complete my beskad soon as I just need to finish the crossguard and add another layer of plas-tex as it is a little flimsy. I finally got a dowel for my spear, so I will be starting on that very soon. It is 6 feet long, but I am thinking about cutting that down to 5. If anyone has done a spear or something similar I could use your advice. I am keeping it pretty basic, but some advice would not hurt. Jett, you mentioned the flak vest, well not to worry, because I made that months ago. I just have not shown any good pictures of it, although I will after I tweak it a bit. Anyways, here is the base for my spear:

Thanks vods and merry christmas!
Mik'ika

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:19 PM »
no worries mate.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Hey Vods!

I have been preoccupied with school and other projects, but I am back now. I have gone through my plates and determined which one need to be redone and which others are OK. The shin, thigh, boot, cod piece, and gut plates posses no cracks. The chest and shoulder plates have minor cracks, but they are not very noticeable. The knee and collar plates are the only severely cracked plates that I know have to be redone. Weapons are almost done, just have to finish the crossguard on the beskad and then paint it. I am also going to weather my soft parts a little bit. Not too much, but enough to give it character. The main issue has been with the gauntlets, as because my arms are so thin it has been difficult getting the sizing and shaping right. Shaping in general has been tough as while the Plas-tex is very bendable, it has trouble holding the shape, hence while I am considering alternative attachment methods. All in all, I am still having fun with this.

Thanks vods!
Mik'ika

P.S: I will be posting pictures of some of my soft parts tomorrow.

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:11 AM »
I'd honestly just go with sintra if you're having trouble with the material you're using now. Amazon has 4x4 boards for like $30 and a heat gun is around $20.

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Hey Vods!

When I originally started, I shopped around for sintra at the local hardware stores, but I could not find any. That is why I bought the Plas-Tex, as it was similar yet more accessible. I have been considering  getting different material for a little while now, I have just been trying to avoid that to keep costs down since I have another project in the works and some college expenses. Since it is only $30 a sheet, I might go through with it. How many sheets do you think I would need? Anyway, here are my soft parts:

This is my flight suit, sash, belt with pouch (thinking about changing the buckle), cape (my favorite), and my boots. I am going to lightly weather these soon and any advice would be great on how to do this.

Thanks Vods
Mik'ika

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:45 PM »
I got ripped off and bought a 4x4 board of 6mm from a sign shop for like $75. As long as you don't mess up too much when you cut stuff out and get your templates right, a 2x4 board might be enough but this one here is only $17 so you could buy 2 if you thought you needed more.

White Sintra 24" X 48" X 3MM (0.118") Plastic Boards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQC21GA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dX0yCbDCKA18S

« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Hey vods!

I would probably get two just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the info!
Quick update: My beskad is assembled and ready for paint. I will probably trim off any excess and apply some material between the gaps in the crossgaurd to act as support struts. These gaps are intentional, as I wanted it to look as if my mando had forged this weapon to be somewhat rudimentary and lethal, as opposed to beautiful and refined.

Stay tuned for my beskad's completion.
Thanks vods!
Mik'ika

« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2019, 12:28 AM »
Greetings vode!

I am back again! I've been busy with college life and other projects, but I have decided to start back up again as I could use the stress reliever. I've also been inspired to restart because of The Mandalorian, which I have decided is my new favorite show. I am revisiting my plates as I am ordering some sintra soon and wanted to make sure I have the right sizing. I should point out I am 5'5" to 5'6", 120lbs, so I am not that big, which as made sizing an issue as it seems a lot of the templates are made for much larger people. The templates I have been using are the Jango templates as they seemed to be small enough for me.

I made sure there was thumb space between the plates. I also had to hold down one of the gut plate to keep it from flapping around.
Your feedback would be much appreciated
Thanks vode
Mik'ika

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!