Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mik ika's WIP 2

• 39 Replies
Re: Mik ika's WIP 2
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2019, 12:13 AM »
Hey Vode!

I occurred to me yesterday that I haven't shown my flightsuit on, so I thought I would show it off. I have to take it in a little around the arms and legs as it's a little baggy in those areas. I also taped my templates to my flightsuit to get a better idea for sizing. I really need sizing advice as I am ordering sintra soon and need to make sure I have the right size.

Thanks vode and please let me know if the sizing is right
Mik'ika

« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Hey vode!

I finally got some expanded PVC foamboard! I have already cut out and shaped two chest pates, a collar plate, and a hand plate:

I also picked up two yards of black duck cloth to make a new vest. It somehow managed to get a lot of lint on it, but once I clean it off it will be good to go:

Let me hear your thoughts vode
Mik'ika

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Plates look pretty good, if you can cross you arms in front of you with no problem you should be alright.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Hey vode,

Back in action after a little break. Recently, I have been fixated on the flak vest as this has become the most challenging aspect of my build. I am on my third attempt and hopefully third time's the charm. The issue has been sizing because I know it should be tight, but that has been hard to achieve. The new vest is together and just needs to be finished.

I also have a helmet question directed to anyone with an NME stalker. My head measures 22 1/2 to 23 inches; so would a medium be OK or would that be too tight?

Thanks Vode,
Mik' ika

« Reply #29 on: Jun 01, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Hey vode,

All plates have been cut out and shaped. Some might need a bit more shaping, but others are ready for paint. I have started with the thighs as I feel these are shaped the best. I ordered my bucket the other day: an NME stalker that should be here in 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime, I have painting to do and maybe a bit more shaping to do (but not a lot to do).
chest plates

boot and hand plates

thigh plates

cod piece

knee and shoulder plates

shin plates

Let me know your thoughts
Mik ika

« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

I did a "suit up" test today. I taped my plates onto my vest and coveralls to see how it looks together. I like how it looks, but I see where to make adjustments. First, I need to take in the legs. Second, I need to take the vest in a bit more, again. What is weird is that when I finished the vest, it felt tight and now it feels loose. Either it was always a little loose, or I have lost weight and have gone from being the width of a ruler to a pencil  :P. I am worried the collar of the vest and the collar could be problematic though as the collar did not come out very clean when I made the vest. Also, because my collar bone stick out a good bit, I am worried that could hinder how the plate sits. It has me wondering if I should switch styles. Here is my progress so far:

(sorry about the facial expression)

This is the way,
Mik ika

« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2020, 02:41 PM »
hello, I'm under construction too but as far as I can help you, I ran into the same doubts ..... reading around here, I discovered that the collar must almost touch the neck, so it goes without saying that everything goes up, and abdominal plate seems to me however a little distant. must be closer to the chest plates ..... but that said, expect more advice from more experts XD

spesso sei come una foglia in balia degli elementi, ti muovi seguendo il vento ma non sai mai che succede, e perché succede, segui solo il vento.

The child who plays grows, the adult who stops playing ages (E. Montale)
« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:26 PM »
hello, I'm under construction too but as far as I can help you, I ran into the same doubts ..... reading around here, I discovered that the collar must almost touch the neck, so it goes without saying that everything goes up, and abdominal plate seems to me however a little distant. must be closer to the chest plates ..... but that said, expect more advice from more experts XD

Vor'e vode,

I've had problems with the collar plate and vest this whole project. When I finally made a vest I liked, I was happy that part was finally over. Knowing that I might have to to adjust it again though, has me a bit frustrated  >:(. It has me wondering if I should make one more go at it, or pay someone to make it. I found a collection of  patterns of Din Djarin's soft parts, so I suppose I could get that and use at as a reference. Like I've said, the only alteration that has to be made to the coveralls is to take in the legs. Because of the collar plate issue, I have been considering switching the project to a post-imperial style. The cod piece has been a little weird working with as well as, due to it being sintra, it only curves one way.

Let's hear your thoughts
Mik ika

« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

Over the weekend, I took the legs in on my coveralls. There are no where near as baggy as they were. The look and feel good to me, but they might need to be brought in a bit more. To be honest, I am not quite sure. I've also made the decision to stay with the modern style (for now at least), but redo some plates via 3D printing. I love 3D printing and I think it will make shaping easier as most of the print files are already shaped; it then becomes a matter of scaling. I might also take the flak vest in a bit more, but I am going to do another sizing test first (sizing is becoming the bane of my existence). Anyway, here is the progress I made with the flightsuit/coveralls:

Might take the arms in a bit to narrow them out
Vode an,
Mik ika

« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2020, 04:25 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

I took the arms on the coveralls in to narrow them. Feels pretty good, but I might go half an inch more. Also, I'd like to show off some of my weapon plans. I've been working on a new beskad in tinkercad as my sintra one feels too flimsy for use. I took the katana design (I blame this choice on my playing Ghost of Tsushima  :D) and modified it to give it a more Mando aesthetic. I angled the guard somewhere between 25-45 degrees and also angled its edges, angled the tip at the same measurement, and put two rectangular holes in the blade. I was going to make the grip a bit more square, but I made it oval for comfort purposes. When the two blade pieces are together, the blade will measure nearly two feet (standard beskad length).

Let me know what you guys think
This is the way
Mik ika

« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2021, 03:40 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

Printed out a new knee plate. I scaled it down to a width of 4.3 inches, which is on the tight side, but that might be OK as once velcro in on it will stay on and not pop off every time I move. Still, the next one I print I might print at 4.5 inches.

Vode an,
Mik ika

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

This semester had me busy, but now I have some time to get back to my armor. The gut and shoulder plates all finished with all coats of paint and weathering. I used masking fluid for the scrapped paint and artist chalk for the carbon scoring. All that's left for these plates is to put velcro on them and attach them to the suit and vest. Next are the breast plates, which are shaped slight different from one another. The upper right and lower left tab are curved more so than the other plate. Also, the plate got a little dirt on it, so the surface looks a little rough in one spot. With these plates already having paint on them, I cannot shape them anymore and as for the dirt, I will not worry about that too much. I 3D printed a new chest diamond a few months ago and got the lines out with a lot of sanding and some enamel/model paint. I coated it with the first layer of black, but the paint got wrinkly. I will probably sand off the that layer and try again.

Vode an
Mik ika

Jayt skybreak

• "The third edge of this blade is the Mandalorian."
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Looking good so far! I might recommend putting a strip of elastic behind your knee armor to keep them from popping out while trooping. I had the same problem until I did so. Keep it up!

-Ibic te manda
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Su'cuy vode,

Breast and collar plates are finished! All that is left for the chest is the diamond.

Vode an
Mik ika

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!