Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Contacts for Chiss Eyes

• 6 Replies

bluecwsoldier3

• Call me Chellhis, or Blue
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Force Hunter Brigade Member
Contacts for Chiss Eyes
« on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should looks for eyes for Chiss? With the recent changes to Thrawn's eyes for Rebels it should be easier to do. I know there have been Chiss Mando's done in the past so I am just wondering if someone could point me in the right directions. I am thinking for the facepaint to use alcohol-based face paint so it doesn't come off on the inside of my bucket.

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Contacts for Chiss Eyes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I looked on amazon for sclera lenses, and I found something similar to what a Chiss should look like (I think)

They're called "Red witch" dunno if it helps.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

bluecwsoldier3

• Awards Donated one quarter of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:33 PM »
That looks really close to being the right thing! Thanks! Does anyone have any experience with these types of contacts? I was a contact wearer until I had lasik done a couple years ago, so I am familiar with the process of putting normal contacts in and taking them out, but I am just wondering about the whole eye business?

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:01 AM »
You're gonna want to do a huge amount of research on whatever you buy & the sellers and you'll also probably want to talk to your optometrist about it - generally, 'costume' lenses arent made to as high a standard as medical contacts which can potentially lead to some issues (And your optometrist will no doubt pretty much tell you not to do it, but their job is to inform you of the dangers and let you decide).
Firstly, just on a basic level, you'll want to do some reading on safe brands & types of 'cosmetic' contact lenses. here's a short article detailing basic contact lens details, here is an article listing brands of contact lenses (supposedly the top 3 are FDA approved, but I would double check that), and here is an article from the FDA. I'd also be a bit remiss not to link some of the easily found horror stories - these were what turned me off, honestly - but dont take it as me trying to encourage you not to, just trying to make sure you're aware of the fact that these injuries can happen very quickly and be permanent. 1, 2, 3.
Now! Onto more relevant to chiss stuff! You're going to need sclera lenses if you want the full red eye. Now, I dont actually have much experience with these, but all my reading & memories of what I was taught say that they can be even more dangerous, very uncomfortable & dry the eyes out significantly, and you should only wear them for 4-6 hours maximum and not multiple days in a row. A proper set can also cost you upwards of $300.. Think you can tell why there arent very many chiss around now, it's quite expensive! There are some great Thrawns out there who you could ask what they use - you basically just need to google 'thrawn cosplay'.

Good luck!

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:57 PM »
The 501st have CRLs for Thrawn, and even though red eyes are optional, I would guess you could find some good suggestions from their Imperial Officer Corps forums.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

bluecwsoldier3

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Thanks all for this information. I'm sort of thinking maybe of using them just for a photo shoot or two at some point, but who knows. The painting blue is the easy part... the eyes are definitely the hard part, maybe for a photo shoot though I could just use photo editing.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:18 AM »
What color exactly are you looking for? Because there are different options for multiple colors. I really like the red in the picture though, it fits perfectly. Once, I even considered buying blue colored contacts for myself. The main reason is that I really wanted to experiment with a different color, and because I have brown eyes, I decided to go for blue. I bought this big pack online that had around 10 pairs of contacts. The price was better if I bought a big pack, so I just figured to go for it, because I can just ware them for fun. AT this point, I really got used to my look with blue contacts, so I’m thinking to use them more often.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:53 AM by EvaShinQ » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!