Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mandalorian build WIP

• 26 Replies
First Mandalorian build WIP
« on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been skulking around these forums long enough now I figured it was probably time I posted a WIP thread for my Mandalorian armour (<-- yes I'm Canadian) I've been working on. It's a bit pic heavy since I started this last summer and have worked on it intermittently between work and home life and everything in between, so please bear with me. Prior to undertaking this build I had a total of zero experience building props, armour or anything for that matter so please, criticism and suggestions are not only welcome but encouraged.

Also note that progress on this build has been a little hindered of late as I recently moved across country for work and now live in a remote fly in area only, so the materials available to me are super limited and I have to either work around it or pull some shady stunt to get one of the work pilots to smuggle in some materials!
I guess I should start this thread with the concept I sketched out before rambling on. This was the initial idea based off a Jango template. I used it to try out different colour schemes, eventually settling on something roughly looking like this:

The first thing I started working on was cutting, sanding and shaping the armour plates out of 6mm Sintra, the templates were downloaded from thedentedhelmet (Thanks Wizardofflight).

This was pretty much the first time I saw the armour start to take shape, lots of ground left to cover yet though.

For the bucket I reached out to an awesome guy from this site in the trading station section by the handle of Droodles, he had some pretty nice resin casts which come from a mold he sculpted himself. I opted for no rangefinder for 2 reasons, #1) I find it makes for a more streamline helmet which is a bit different from what I've seen so far, and #2) I'm 6'4", so there's no way that somewhere, somehow that rangefinder wouldn't be ripped out of the socket due to some low hanging doorframes, lighting fixtures or whatever else may be hovering just above my head. I may purchase another helmet down the line at some point, but for now I'm very happy with what I have.

The picture below was taken last Halloween when I mounted everything temporarily to check for placement, fit, sizing, etc. I was happy with what I had accomplished by this point, however with this test run I quickly discovered what was working on the suit, and more importantly what wasn't. After that night I hung the project up and forgot about it for a little while as I felt a bit deflated to have done all that work only to find that I'd have to go over most of what I worked on to trim, reshape and modify what I had already built. Many more hours were spent on forums scouring every source for information and knowledge to improve the build.

I tried my hand at scratch building a pair of gauntlets, I was in over my head at the time so I ended up scrapping them and buying a set of vacformed gauntlets I found online. I thought they were a little brittle out of the box so I decided to reinforce them with fiberglass.

It was at this point where I had accepted a transfer to an isolated fly in only post and realized that the movers wouldn't ship any compressed, or hazardous materials, ie: paint rattle cans, bondo.. basically anything you need in order to complete a work in progress. Given this revelation, and having only about a week to use up anything I couldn't transport, I got to work trimming, reshaping, wet sanding, priming, more wet sanding and base coating everything with Testor's metallic silver.

With the armour plates base coated metallic silver I packed everything up into a storage bin and moved across the country. Some of the parts got a little dinged up, but I'll chalk that up to some battle damage/wear and tear on the final result. Once relocated I started working on the soft parts as I'd need something to attach everything to.

Before the move I had bought a pair of coveralls from Mark's warehouse, as well as an XL work shirt of the same brand and material, I un-stitched the sleeves from the shirt and had the sleeves sewn onto the coveralls and removed all the pockets. (Credit goes to my brother's girlfriend, I can't sew worth a sh%$). Beyond that, I took the flight suit with me on vacation back to my hometown to have the legs tapered and slimmed down as the coveralls were pretty baggy.

Once ready to work on it further I started on the weathering process which consisted of brewing vast amounts of tea and soaking the fabric for about 2 hours or so in the sink. I washed the suit on a light rinse and I sanded down areas that would incur the most amount of friction damage with 150 grit sandpaper, including the front of the thighs, elbows, base of the legs etc. The suit was given a second round of dye with the tea, then using a strong brewed batch of coffee I took a sponge brush and applied the brew generously throughout the crevices and seam lines to vary the intensity of the stains. The suit was left to dry for a few hours then I tossed it in the dryer to set all the stains properly. Once dried I used my airbrush for the first time ever and started misting the spots that would be the first to accumulate dirt, grime and stains with some thinned down Tamiya rubber black and dark brown. Eventually I got to a point where I was pretty happy for the time being, however I'm sure as the build progresses and the suit is worn I'll add some touch-ups. Note that I mainly focused on areas that would be visible while wearing the armour so as to not waste too much of my precious limited supply of paint as shipping costs to this place are astronomical

Once that was all said and done I started on the leather parts which consist of the girth belt, over belt and holster rig. I managed to find a surplus of RCMP Sam Browne ceremonial dress leather belts, ammo/handcuff pouches and holsters which suited my needs pretty much perfectly. Once having decided the layout of the belt I cut and riveted the straps to form a dual holster setup that matches somewhat the Jango Fett style rig. The weathering process consisted of sanding down the leather with 150 grit sandpaper to remove any leather protector that may have been added by the manufacturer, as well as to rough up the leather to give it worn/used look. The great part about genuine leather is once you sand through the initial top layer, it becomes incredibly absorbent and receptive to dyes and polish. I used a wood burner to burnish and rough up any areas that needed to be cut during the construction process, adding gashes and nicks while attempting to keep the damage realistic without overdoing it. Once the physical damage had been added it was time to start with the colour. Using a bottle of liquid black Kiwi shoe polish I did a wash over each piece one at a time, allowing about 2-3 minutes or so to dry to a tacky state, then took a damp cloth and rubbed away at the high spots, leaving a nice layered look. I repeated this process as many times as needed on each piece and tried to keep the look uniform over the entirety of the belt.

When I started this build last summer, I had a friend from work who's also a member on TDH as Chewie (which happens to legit be his nickname in real life) come over and pretty much lose his mind at the build I had started, causing him to get involved and start his own screen accurate Jango armour. We've kept in touch despite now living across the country from one another and periodically send each other updates on our builds. Chewie got it into his head that he was going to scratch build a leather Jango girth belt and started chatting with Cruzer on how to get it done. Chewie offered to make one for me as well in exchange for some items I sent him in return. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when I received the package in the mail, and holy hell was I blown away at how well he did on that belt! The girth belt ended up matching beautifully with my top belt and holster rig. Shoutout to having talented friends willing to get their hands dirty to build you a belt!

That's about as far as I am for now, I've got some blasters in the works but I'm waiting for a few pieces so that I can continue working on them, I will have some pictures up shortly.

I hope you've enjoyed the read, leave some comments/suggestions, I'd love to hear what you guys think of the build so far!

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: First Mandalorian build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Your work looks top notch, nicely done mate. ;)

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Looking good, vod! :like:  I have to admit, I'm jealous of your belts and holsters. Keep up the good work!

Verd'Jvr

• Not all battle scars are on one's body
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 03:19 AM »
Wow, very good work! keep it up ner vod!

OM # 1417 · MAJIC # 173 · V.O.T.S #71 · C.C.P.H.H.M.M. # 3
Armor WIP
Mechanic WIP

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Well done!! 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Hello SonOfCorvinus,

Very impressive work you've done.  Keep going and we'll troop together soon.

Beleck

Tal Akaan

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Excellent work! Seriously, top notch stuff Sir!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Solid quality work so far, well done! Can't wait to see how it looks with all that weathering!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Awesome Job! Can I ask what you used to fill in the Cod Piece? I'm starting my first build soon and am looking for good quality bondo to smooth my 3d prints and now after seeing you post, also make the cod piece that way. I tried All Purpose putty by bondo which seemed perfect, but it doesn't seem to ever fully dry. Any help would be usefull. thanks

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I tried All Purpose putty by bondo which seemed perfect, but it doesn't seem to ever fully dry

Needed more hardner -- or sometimes, you can hit it with a hair dryer and it will finish curing.   

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Awesome Job! Can I ask what you used to fill in the Cod Piece? I'm starting my first build soon and am looking for good quality bondo to smooth my 3d prints and now after seeing you post, also make the cod piece that way. I tried All Purpose putty by bondo which seemed perfect, but it doesn't seem to ever fully dry. Any help would be usefull. thanks

What I did for the codpiece is glue the straight piece of PVC over top the curved piece where I wanted it to sit. Once it was dry I started building up layers from the inside out. I built up temporary walls on the edges of the codpiece and mixed in several batches of bondo, filling the empty space layer by layer. This took about 5-6 batches when all said and done, each one smaller than the last as it became just detail work and getting the curve right by the end.
The spot putty by bondo is good on small pieces but it’s not the same as actual bondo. It doesn’t cure as quickly or as solid and tends to crack if disturbed in the least, even after being set out to dry for hours.
Hope that helps.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I'm starting my own first build and this is some inspirational stuff here! Your kit looks awesome!!

Nobody cares who your father was, just the father you will be.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Alright, time for an update! 

Awhile back I purchased a set of 3D printed knee caps on Etsy for a very reasonable price as I didn't have enough materials to scratch build them, though there was some assembly required. After lots of filler primer and practically shredding my rotator cuff from sanding I managed to get the knees ready for paint. The darts were also 3D printed which meant I had to drill out the barrels to give the appearance that they could actually fire. I also reshaped my back plate as it wasn't sitting exactly right. I also scored the plate about an inch in from the outer edge and bent them inwards creating a bit of a lip in the arm openings which conceals the slight gap that was formed when bending the sintra. I used some JB weld and bondo filler to fill the seam, then sanded everything down.

At this point I started the more daunting task (to me anyway) which is the paint job. This is what really ties the kit together so I've been super excited for it yet also dreading this part from the beginning. I started with parts that were not really focal points of the armour which allowed me to get a bit of practice with my airbrush before touching the more integral parts. I started with the cod piece and thigh plates and worked my way down to the, shins and boot caps. I've never really painted with an airbrush before, so it was a bit of a learning curve. The intent was to create more damage and weathering on the feet, lower legs, knees and thighs as these would be bumped and scratched a lot more from running, kneeling, and just moving more in general. I worked my way up to the chest and back, going slightly less heavy on the weathering.

Painting these pieces over the past few weeks have given me a bit more insight on what works and what doesn't work so well. I'm not entirely sold on the weathering of some of the pieces, mostly the chest and back plates, I feel like they need something more. Aside from the spots that were purposefully weathered using the layering technique, I feel like the plates still look a little too pristine. I might try dirtying them up a little more, maybe use some mechanical weathering techniques... I'll have to give it some thought. Suggestions on this.. anyone?

Aside from that, I've still got the shoulder bells, gauntlets and the helmet to paint for the armour pieces, I haven't yet decided on what insignia I'm going to put on the shoulder bells, though I am particularly fond of the "True Mandalorian" design, the same that Jaster Mereel has on his.

That's it, that's all I've got for the time being, but I've got some days off coming up so I'll be at it again shortly. I'll try and give a good push in the next few weeks and if possible I'll see if I can at least get everything mounted in time for Halloween. Thanks for checking in, and as always if you guys have tips, suggestions, questions, comments, criticism, whatever, this is a public forum so don't be shy!

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2018, 08:49 PM »
With that weathering, it looks like you favor your left knee for kneeling.  :laugh:  Which just means that you're doing something right.  :like:

Keep at it, it looks awesome, so far!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Haha very observant. I'm cross eye dominant which means I've taught myself to shoot with rifles on my left side despite being right handed, which means when shooting crouched I'd be applying weight on the left knee.   ;D

Straka Zulu

« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I'm in kinda a similar situation.  While I'm right hand dominant, I shoot left handed, so I aim with my left.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:21 AM »
Alright, well slowly but surely I’m making some headway on this build.

It’s taken a bit of time, but I finally have most of the paint work done. I wanted to leave the helmet until last (which from what I can tell is the opposite of what most people seem to do) but I felt like I wanted as much time behind the airbrush before I attempted the portion of the build that will generate the most focus.

I chose to do the paint job using the layering method, sealing everything with Testor’s dullcote, then hit it with some weathering, then sealed everything again. It was a pretty labour intensive process, but in the end I was happy with the result.

And now some photos because no one cares about the narrative, we want pics! [Warning, pic intensive]

I started with the rear because well, it’s going to be the least visible part.

And finally..

While waiting for the paint to dry between layers I also started working on the decals of the shoulder bells. I got some great negative stencils from Fettology on TDH.

Unfortunately when I removed the final layer on the Jaster decal, I didn’t wait long enough for the paint underneath to dry and it peeled quite a bit of the yellow portion of the emblem off. Thankfully it wasn’t a completely fatal error and I just passed it off as “additional weathering”.

I received my flak vest I ordered from Pascale on Etsy [creativeartshop] a few months ago and I love the quality and how lightweight it is, however it’s gonna be warm in the summer being made from leather. I saw a really cool alternative mounting option on TDH a few months ago where someone was using lock back pins to mount their armour and figured I’d give that a try. Once I got everything measured out, I mounted my chest plates to my flak vest and added an additional layer of weathering to match everything a little better.

(As you can tell from the photo with the flak vest all marked up I actually did that before I started painting the helmet)

And that about catches me up to where I’m currently at on my build. I’m hoping to continue working on it as soon as I get a few more days off.
Next up will be mounting the rest of the armour to the soft parts, installing some electronics in the helmet and gluing the visor in as right now it’s just clipped in temporarily. I hope you guys enjoy and I’ll be back soon with some more updates!

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 12:38 AM by SonOfCorvinus » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:20 AM »
 :o :o :o Vod, this is some FANTASTIC painting you've done! I would love to see more of your process! This is gonna be an amazing quality kit.  :mcq1:

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Hot dang that looks great!

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:44 AM »
This is looking awesome! Can't wait to see what happens next.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:10 PM »
That weathering though!!!! GAH!!! Very nice work!! Can't wait to see how this finishes up!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:30 PM »
That's just awesome

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2019, 03:47 AM »
Ok, so for some reason I seem to have forgotten the fact that before I even started painting my helmet I had completed the paint work on my gauntlets and neglected to post anything about them... yeah I spaced out apparently, I apologize.
Here are a few pics of the painted up gauntlets.

All that’s left to do is to attach and weather the hoses at the rear which will be done in the same fashion as Jango’s (2 on the left and 3 on the right).
I’ve been on the other side of the country all week in my previous work jurisdiction so unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to work on anything in that time, but I’m flying back home over the next two days, so hopefully I’ll have more updates for you guys in the upcoming weeks!

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Soooo jealous of your painting skills. Truly beautiful  :o

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2019, 02:51 PM »
HOLLY ...!!

Damn!!! This... This is crazy vod!! I am speechless!!

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!