Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Are the 'cheek concaves' needed?

• 7 Replies
Are the 'cheek concaves' needed?
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:04 PM »
For a modern build, I know we need the T visor and typical/standard shape, but is there anything different that can be done for the cheeks?
For example, there's been some mandalorian helms that were rounded up front (most of them though are from the old republic era).

I'm building my helmet out of a construction hard hat and sintra, but I'm having some real difficulty figuring out how to get the concave cheeks to shape/line up properly.  Just looking for ways around that.

Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Are the 'cheek concaves' needed?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:33 PM »
The cheeks are the hardest part of a scratch build.  You could look at sabines helmet for inspiration.  If the rest of the bucket is fairly standard, you could get away with something like hers.

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Have you taken a look at the templates that are provided here I believe the are from WOF and the template is pretty self explanatory. You have to cut out the cheek arch and then use a two part design to create the proper look. I can't speak from experience yet as I haven't gotten that far on my scratch build.

You could also square them like in the NME Assassin which would eliminate some of the shaping and bending required for the curving of the traditional cheeks

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2018, 04:10 AM »
A barrel of patience. A steady hand. And a helping of taking ones time. I’ve done cheeks out of 6mm sintra and was ready to pull my hair out but that was a long time ago way back at the beginning of my 20+ scratchbuild and over 100 resin cast helmets. I am a firm believer of Apoxie sculpt to help back cheeks at the seams and to even smooth them out. However to answer your question. Modern design without the full cheeks is legacy style. However... there’s one legacy helmet that I’ve seen that was beautiful as he added the cheeks.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2018, 01:19 PM »
The cheeks are a total pain in the shebs Vod. Patience plus trial and error is what it takes to get them right. I had to redo the shaping on mine a few times before I was happy. Lots of bondo and sanding.

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2018, 12:24 AM »
Unless you're doing a legacy helmet, I do believe you need cheeks.

If you're having trouble with the cheeks, might I suggest trying out night-owl style cheeks?  They look like they'd be easier to do than standard cheeks.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I've seen successful usage of the Homer bucket curve turned inside out to make cheeks.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:56 PM »
I've seen successful usage of the Homer bucket curve turned inside out to make cheeks.
That is a tried and tested way to do them and people can get much faster results that way without all of the troubles of sintra and other methods.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!