Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Boba Fett Chest display project

• 18 Replies

jackboot_jedi

« on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I have the wiring down but the actual top rows of lights are driving me crazy.  It has some short in the circuit but this is what I have. 

The problem with the top row of lights is that it doesn’t look professional.  It isn’t clean and well dressed.  The light bleeds over into the next box and I don’t know how to prevent it.  I am using a strip of square tube with LEDs inside and hot glue as a diffuser so it looks like the LED lights up the whole box. 
If you have any suggestions on how to make a box of 5 LEDs 8mmwide at every window and 4mm tall that looks like the entire box lights up when it is on PLEASE let me know. 
I have tried many different versions but few work as well as this. 

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 09:11 PM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Boba Fet Chest display project
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:46 AM »
If you put those LED's flat up against a dark transluscent surface, the bleed-over should go away.  The hot glue may actually hurt it more then help as it's acting more like a magnifier then an absorber.  The light is reflecting off the glue from what I can see.  Put it all flush against a tinted surface then look at it and see.

Also, if you have schematics and a diagram then please post them or email it to me and I'll host them.  We'll put it up in the Tutorial section.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 10:51 AM by Novall Talon » Logged
I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Tigris Falco

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Just need to tweek it a little and we will be laughing.

Nice work Scur

Olos'nay

• I shot first.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2007, 02:25 PM »

-Olos

jackboot_jedi

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:54 PM »
would one of these help?

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10267
I have looked at that but the problem is an even distribution of bright color to the entire square panel.  That is a series of small round LEDs.  I appreciate the idea though. 

This I have done for a custom mando friend Kal Falco and I am doing a slightly different one for Akami Falco.  It is based on the same 555 timer and the 4017 decade timer that I am using for the Boba Fett display. 
I will try to compile directions on how to put it together.   

Xian Talon

• The Ghost who haunts the forums
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Boba Fett Chest display project
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:11 PM »
bright..shiney...lights.....   O.O

Akami Falco

• The blind man see's all The sighted man see's not
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Awesome work Scur I want' mine Just like that...LOL  Well you know I've got my order in already...

Jardon Sydor

• kote bah an Mando'ade
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:00 AM »
wow now thats nice I want one lol

jackboot_jedi

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2007, 07:37 PM »
I wanted to show the circuitry that I used for the Boba Fett and Custom Chest displays.  I hand drew them so pardon my chicken scratch.  All integrated circuits (IC) have labeled pins 1-whatever.  If it has 8 pins then it is 1 through 8.  The way to tell which one is 1 there is a small dot placed in the upper left of the chip closest to the 1.  If there is no dot then the notch side is always up and top left is always labeled as 1. 
This is the 4017IC

The outputs are labeled as 0-9 and those are the outputs that go to the top led sequence for the Boba Fett display using 0-4 or my custom displays using 0-9, or 0-8.
This is the 555 timer that drives the 4017 Decade counter. 

R1, R2 and C1 determine the pace of the timing of the circuit.  For reference the equation is 1 Meg Ohms times 1 Micro Farad equals 1 second interval of OFF time.  The R1 resistor determines the ON time at about the same rate.  So connected like this you get the Boba Fett display.

If there is anything you need to know about this circuit or wiring please let me know.
-Scur

Akami Falco

• The blind man see's all The sighted man see's not
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:20 PM »
"Man your the greatest"  I hope everyone appreciates the information.  I don't remember what the guy charges for these displays on the "dented helmet",  but to have this so you can do it yourself is priceless. Thanks Scur

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2007, 09:39 AM »
What's the chance of getting a step by step tutorial written down (or filmed...whatever's easier) of this?  It would be an awesome addition to our tutorial library.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

jackboot_jedi

« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I'll see what i can put together

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2007, 10:15 PM »
My brain just exploded from looking at those drawings and diagrams.  :o  I'd probably electrocute myself, but then again, if there's no danger, where's the fun?

Awesome chest display!

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Jacyn Snow

• AKA Aran Kerir AKA Jordan Masters
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:59 AM »
hey i was wonderin if it was possible to change the color of the display, maybe by led?

USMC- Mandeplorable
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Ok !!! let's go burn some resistors and LED's too!!! Just wana understand all that info :'(

Nice work Vod  ;D

« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:58 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows what size the LED digit displays are. I have made a few of the circuit boards and they work great, but there are so many different sizes of led displays out on the market I am not sure which ones to order.

Ghez Hokan

• War is about applying your brains.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:50 PM »
That's awesome and I bought something similar for my armor. Now the big question I can't seem to get answered: how do you mount it to the back of your chest plate?

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:06 PM »
I got a website from another brother and you can check out www.fettronics.com for your board

« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Hello,

Awesome post.May I ask what kind of digital segments you used as well as the top led bars?I am unsure of the numbers written on each segment coming from the 4017 circuit.

Thanks,Daren

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!