Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)

• 97 Replies

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)
« on: Sep 28, 2018, 01:23 PM »
This WIP is where I will be chronicling my Executioner build here. So far I have received my helmet from LoneWolf Customs. It’s Version 2 of his proprietary Executioner helmet.

This will be my second Mandalorian Build. My first kit is a sniper build that is approved and brigade special ops sniper approved. I have submitted my application for environmental ops forest ops as well. The WIP is here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=144162.0

For the executioner build, I have some preliminary artwork but I will keep that close to the vest for now. I will say that I am planning on a lot of Grey and Black with a touch of green here and there. I expect to update this WIP regularly until completion, so something new in the coming weeks and months. 

Thanks for the interest.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Gatorlorian

• Loyalty above all else. #OhLookAProject
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2018, 12:07 AM »
This WIP is where I will be chronicling my Executioner build here. So far I have received my helmet from LoneWolf Customs. It’s Version 2 of his proprietary Executioner helmet.

This will be my second Mandalorian Build. My first kit is a sniper build that is approved and brigade special ops sniper approved. I have submitted my application for environmental ops forest ops as well. The WIP is here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=144162.0

For the executioner build, I have some preliminary artwork but I will keep that close to the vest for now. I will say that I am planning on a lot of Grey and Black with a touch of green here and there. I expect to update this WIP regularly until completion, so something new in the coming weeks and months. 

Thanks for the interest.

Given how your last build turned out, I'm indeed very interested in seeing this one progress.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Gator, thanks brother. I am hoping for this kit to be less chaoctic and fit more with wabi, sabi, and yugen. We will see if I am able to achieve this stated goal.

Update,
I started the flak vest. First I followed Point’s vest patter somewhat. Once I had a paper pattern, I traced it over to some old 1000D I had and then cut out the patter. Next I sewed it up and checked for fit.

Next I transferred the patter to the black pre-quilted fabric I will be using for my vest. I cut it out and sewed in some Velcro.

Also, this weekend, I along with my friend Shevla Kal knocked out vacuum forming most of the armor parts. The bucks we used to make the armor are the bucks I made back in 2017 for my first kit. One of the issues we ran into is that the plaster of Paris has become brittle. We has coated most of the bucks in fiberglass resin in 2017 but this did not save the bucks from demolding and although we were able to pull all the parts we needed, several of the bucks were damaged. To make matters worse, the silicone molds I had made to make the bucks have degraded as well. Perhaps I should have figured out a way to preserve them better but its too late for that now. This means that If I want any additional armor, I will need to make new molds and bucks. For some of these bucks I had already started the process of making them in MDF so I will most likely continue this and not make any more plaster bucks.

I digress, so we pulled all the armor except the back plate. We ran out of HIPS so I will be picking up more plastic on Friday and I hope to get more done then.

Additionally, I received my boots on Sunday but I ordered a size 10 and the seem a bit big so I am also ordering a size 9.5 and once I figure out which size fits best, I will return one pair. Once I get the size correct, I will post some pics of the boots.
I should have a lot of stuff arriving this week for this kit so hopefully Friday will be a big day for getting stuff accomplished.

That’s it for the update, thanks for the interest.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71

Shevla Kal

• Eyes behind the lines
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Donated one quarter of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Looking forward to Friday!

Brigade Application
Naast Ver'Alor/Alor'ad 2020-2021
SE Command Ru'Cabur 2019-2023
Vanguard/Field Ops/Striker Brigade Captain 2020-2024
Brigadier 2024-

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Watching with interest. . .

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

Bat Akaan

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Shevla, Cool, I think we will be getting ABS rather than HIPS this time. I will explain when I see you.

Nia Kad Runi, thank you. I hope the end results will be worth the wait.

Ok just a quick update. I sewed on the edge tape on the vest. I will be holding off on attaching the sleeves until I can see how all the armor will look together. I am planning on having the shoulder bells hanging a little lower than I did on my Sniper build.

Anyway, that’s is for now. Thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Update,
First, one the things I ordered for my kit came in this week. These boots are AdTech (Ride Tech) 16” tall Engineer Boots.

As with my previous build, I do the research and you can reap the rewards of my observations… I am 50 years old and after 24 years in the Army doing crazy stuff, I am at that point in life where everything hurts (including my feet). I prefer very comfortable shoes and boots. For my Sniper build I used some surprisingly affordable work boots. I marched in parades and stood in them for long periods of time and I can honestly say they are damn comfortable. That said, a few years ago I built a retro 1950s Sci-Fi space suite for DragonCon and for that build I got some costume tall  boots (think Imperial Officer Boots) for 30ish bucks. These boots were horrible. My feet hurt so much from wearing them I was taking constants breaks on the bottom floor of the Marriott. Vowing to never making that kind of mistake again, I am apprehensive about ordering shoes online. I want to try them on and make sure they fit and feel good.

With this in mind, I knew I wanted a tall boot for this kit and the Engineer boot fit the look I wanted. I found the Ad Tech boots on Amazon and decided to give them a try. I normally wear a size 10 combat boot but most of my sneakers are a size 9.5 (ex. I wear a 9.5 Converse All Star Chuck). After reading the reviews of the Ad Tech boots, most people had 3 issues with them. First, most people felt they ran ½ size small. Next, a lot of people did not like the branding logos on them. There are two buckles that have Ride Tech on them and there is a pressure brand on the side of the heal that says Ride Tech as well. The third complain is that they are Ride Tech Boots, not Ad Tech.

Apparently, Ride Tech now owns Ad Tech so that explains that issue. The logos are not an issue since I will be weathering them and can remove whatever I don’t like. As for the size Issue I decided to order a size 10. The boots arrived and were a little big for me. I ordered another pair in 9.5 that fit perfectly so I returned the size 10 boots. So from my experience, if you order these boots get whatever size sneaker size you wear and you should be ok. Once the size was sorted out I tossed around a few ideas for the shin guards. I started to build a MDF buck for vacuum forming but since I was stopping at the plastic supply store later in the week, I wanted to what it was like to work with Sintra. My supplier carries the same product under the name of Celtec. I got a 4’x8’ sheet of 1/8” thick for about $26.00. I have not had a lot of experience with this stuff but its what most of you use to make Mandalorain armor so I wanted to get some experience with it. I cut several pieces out and heated them with a heat gun then shaped them to fit the shin with the boots on. Once I had the first layer shaped I heated and shaped the second layer and then the third layer. I sued super glue to bond all three layers and presto, shin guards.

I imbedded snaps on the inside of the shin guards as I built them and then marked and added the snaps to the boots. Here they are snapped on the boots.

Next I decided to remove the buckles that are on the boots and replace them with 4 cam buckles I had left over from my Rogue One Stormtrooper Crystal Patrol Pack build.

I painted the buckles with a firearms metal coating in flat black and baked the coating on. While they were baking, I decided to see if I remove the pressure brand from the boots with an Iron. Here is the pressure brand before I started working on it.

This is how it looked after working with water and the iron for about 20 minutes.

Its not completely gone but it has been considerably reduced and If I wanted to shine these boots (for an Imperial Officer costume) I think I could remove it further but not completely; however, whatever would be left could be filled in then shined and unnoticeable.

Back to the buckles, I unstitched the top buckle and replaced it with the painted cam buckle then re-stitched it with my industrial sewing machine. For the ankle buckle, I would not be able to access it with the sewing machine so I cut the strap, replaced the buckle and used rivets to secure the strap. I like how they came out. I still need to paint the shin guards and weather them and the boots.

Another thing that came in this week is the gloves. I wanted silver flight gloves with grey leather but the manufacturer does not accept individual orders so I had to settle on black gloves with grey leather (from Amazon). I will be add some stuff to these but here they are at this time.

Another thing or things that came in are the 2” wide leather blank strap and blank belt buckle (both from Tandy leather). 

When I painted the buckles, I also painted the belt buckle flat black and baked it. After the buckle was done, I cut out my family clan symbol in vinyl and used it on the buckle as a stencil then sand blasted the buckle to expose the symbol. Next, I hand painted red in the Mythosaur claw.

Next I took some sand paper and weathered the buckle then I did a black wash on it. I still need to clear coat it but I like how it turned out.

Lastly, I attempted to pull the back plates with ABS. This is the first time I am using ABS and there was learning curve to vacuum form with ABS. I needed to let it melt a lot more than HIPS to pull properly. Also the ABS has a rough side and a smooth side. Here is a usable but ultimately failed pull with the rough side up.

Here is another not so great pull with the smooth side up.

And here is a near perfect pull.

I also got some stuff done on Shevla Kals kit as we are working on these concurrently.

Well, that is it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Shevla Kal

• Eyes behind the lines
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Donated one quarter of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Looks great brother! The family clan logo is awesome!

Brigade Application
Brigadier 2024-
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2018, 12:04 PM »
that last backplate pull really does look great, the belt buckle is really cool too! very nice work!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Shevla, I need to square you away with the family symbol without the arrow. You and our other brother voted for no arrow so that is why I have been using the one that I have.

Orlando, thank you for the complement.

Yogi

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:05 PM »
This Looks Great! I may need to holla at you about a vac formed Back Plate if you are offering them. I have the same boots and in my experience they run a bit a large. I wear a 14, ordered the 14 and my feet were swimming in them.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Bat Akaan

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Yogi, send me a pm and we can discuss.

Update,
Ok Shevla and I worked on some stuff Wednesday.
Shevla rough cut all the armor while I knocked out another set of knee armor

You may notice that the black plastic looks rough. This is ABS and it comes with one side rough, I formed these knees with the rough side down but the rough patter comes through to the smooth side on most things formed. They do make smooth 2 sided ABS but you must special order a whole pallet of it and there is no way I can afford that. The ABS feels stronger than the HIPS and less likely to crack so I think I will stick with it. The rough finish is not an issue for me since this is mando armor and not TK armor. There is no real reason I would want it smooth. Keep this in mind if I ever make armor to sell. I suppose you can sand it smooth but that would take a lot of work and it would reduce the thickness of the armor.

Over the weekend I worked on some stuff as well. First I spent two days attempting to alter my coveralls but the damn crotch area got totally messed up. I ended up taking it to a seamstress who is altering it and I should have it back next week. I will still need to work on it once I get it back.

Next I started on my girth belt. For this kit I wanted to make a traditional girth belt and looked at the tutorial on the forum. I decided to develop my own method. I ordered 165’ of ¼” (6mm) cotton twisted rope from Amazon. I dyed this rope with Pearl grey Rit Dye.

Next I got 120’ of 3/16” cotton rope from Ace hardware and dyed it black but the end results were not good. The rope came out grey and almost the same color as the ¼” rope.

While I was working on the problem of the black rope I took a 4’ wide piece of plywood and drilled a lot of holes spaced ½” at each end then put nails in the holes. Next, I took the ¼” rope and ran it from nail to nail.

I had a ton of para cord on hand so I used black para cord and wove it into the ¼” cotton rope and here is how it came out.

While this looks good, I did not have a method of connecting the belt around my waist. I considered a lot of options but finally decided to remake the whole belt. This time I will be starting with leather ends that will have buckles and straps built in. Here are the two ends. I will be running the ¼” (after I unbraid it) in the 18 holes you see on each leather part. I did not have any black leather dye so I had to wait until I get some (hopefully today) to start this process. I will also look to see if I can find some black twisted rope in a smaller diameter to use instead of the para cord.

That’s really all I accomplished this weekend. I received an email invitation to participate in a pre-BETA stress test of Fallout 76 on Saturday so that was my main focus. FO76 was awesome and anyone who is a fan of the franchise will be very pleased with it. 4 hours was not long enough to really explore a whole lot of the world but I had a blast.

More to come. Thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Update,

Ok so I got some black leather dye and dyed the two ends.  Next, I remade the girth belt; however, with the addition of the leather ends, it was too large. I once again disassembled the belt and remade the whole thing again, only smaller. Here are some pics of the too large belt so you can see how I anchored it down.

And here is the correct size re-made belt. I am pleased with how it turned out.

And that’s it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Shevla Kal

• Eyes behind the lines
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Very nice! Nice shirt too!

Brigade Application
Brigadier 2024-

Bat Akaan

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Shevla, thank you.

Update,
Ok well I helped out Shevla a good bit so I did not make a whole lot of progress with my kit this past weekend. I did get an opportunity to make my flack vest for the armor and once I sew on the Velcro I will take a pic. Here is my armor trimmed for fitting.

And I am not real sure exactly how far I will get in the coming weeks, the BETA for Fallout 76 begins tonight.

That is the update, thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Update,
First, I have glued snaps inside the knee armor (no pics). Next I cutout the area on the breast armor for the display. I will be using the LED display again, like on my previous build.

I still need to add some epoxy to hold the display.
Next, I have not wanted to show this preliminary sketch until I had made some headway on this build so now is as good a time as any other. This was just the concept artwork and I have deviated from it somewhat; however, you should be able to get an idea of where I am heading with this build.

Ok so I have gone through three sets of coveralls to get the closest size that will fit and not be too baggy. This last set is close enough. I still needed to taper the legs a bit but I think it’s now where it needs to be. So in these pics you can see the coveralls/ flight suit (it still needs some alterations) the girth belt, the boots with shin armor, the gloves, and the flack vest with Velcro sewn on.

I still need to make the neck seal and test fit the back plate and shoulder bells. After that I think I will start on the belt and holster and greebles. Also I have been working on the 3D models for the gauntlets and will start printing them soon.

Well that is it for the update, thanks for the interst.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Fantastic work so far  :like: I especially love how the girth turned out!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Nice design!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Jenga, thank you. I like how it turned out as well.

Jennari, thank you.

Ok well I started working on the neck seal last night, more to come soon. Also, I have finished the 3D models for the gauntlets. Here is a rendering of them. I am hoping to start the print tonight or tomorrow. I estimate it will take roughly 80 hours to print everything. If anyone is interested, the vanilla version is available for free download on my Thingiverse page https://www.thingiverse.com/11b30b4/designs

That’s it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Update,

Well the RAMPS v1.4 board on my 3D printer has burnt out again. That is twice in 2018… Not sure what is causing it. I have ordered another one and it should arrive today. I think it may be time to upgrade my printer to a Prusa I3. I am hoping to be printing this weekend and 80 hours later having a full set of gauntlets.

I applied the epoxy sculpt to the inside of the breast plate to hold the chest display.

Also I have finished the neck seal.

Well that is it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Update,

The good and the bad and seeing a silver lining on things…
So My 3D printer burnt another RAMPS V1.4 board and I replaced it, then the Z axis was dead and I confirmed that it also burnt the Stepper Motor Driver A4988. I replaced it and all the other driver chips with new ones and now the Z axis works some of the time and then pauses. I have no idea what is going on with it and there is no customer support for the print since the company is now closed. I got my printer in 2015 and I have replaced the RAMPS V1.4 board twice now. Both times this year. Honestly, I got the cheapest printer I could find in 2015 with the largest build volume and heated bed. The company was located in GA so I figured I would be close to the company and could count on them if I ran into issues; However, I have only marginally been happy with the print quality it produced.

I think it is now time to upgrade my printer, so I ordered a Prusa I3 M3 and should have it in a week or more. I will need to build it and test is before I can continue to building the parts for this build that will be 3D printed. This will mostly be gauntlets, ear caps, range finder (if I decide to have one on this build), and possibly the chest diamond.  More to come on this in the coming weeks.

To add insult to injury, my 20 gallon 2 hp air compressor died over the weekend and that forced me to purchase a new compressor. So, yes the past few days have been very expensive and have stalled the build in some areas.

The silver lining to all of this is that it has afforded me time to further address some details of the build that I was not happy with. One of these details is the shin guard armor. I kind of just made what was easy at the time and then looking at them, the top layer with the V cut just looked cheesy so I cut off the outside part of the V and added another piece of Sentra and now I think they look more like they belong in the Star Wars universe.  I did chip one of the top pieces on the left boot but this will add to the weather detail once everything is painted. Here is a comparison.

I will be attempting to add some layered details to the VF armor as well. Currently I am working on the leather goods such as the holster and belt and should have some pics to share this weekend.

That’s it for now and thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Update,

I built the holster for my A-180.

Next, following the change to my shin guards, I decided to add Sentra to the vacuum formed armor. This seemed simpler than it was, because the VF armor is based on Boba Fett armor which is not symmetrical. This means that none of the armor was symmetrical. I mat still play with the shoulder bells and abdomen but for the most part, I think this is a good improvement over the basic mando armor.

Next, I knocked out a few greebles. I wanted a few small but tall (1/2” x 3”) code cylinder, Aliens grenade looking things. I also want three power cylinder reloads for my A-180. So I jumped on my lather and made these. Initially I made two of each but then I needed to add a third and then realized just how inaccurate I was being in my duplication. I will be adding some black and red paint to them in some areas.

Lastly, Monday my Prusa arrived so I am now assembling it and then there is Fallout 76 for the remainder of the week.

Thanks for the interest.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Update,
Well two things have been taking up a lot of my time…

However, I have managed to get some stuff done.  First, I cleaned, painted, and weathered the belt greebles I made. Since they are aluminum, I painted them with KG metal coatings 2400 series firearms coatings which is a bake-on coating.

Next, I dyed my belt, holster, and leg strap, then I applied a protective coating and rubbed away some of the stain to give it that weathered look.

And that is what I have accomplished so far. Thanks for the interest and Happy Thanksgiving.

Jin'thal Ca'vallas

• Mandalorians are stronger together
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:42 PM »
this brothers got mad skills....

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2018, 04:23 AM »
Awesome build, vod! 
What is that A180 made from?  Looks too shiny to be a resin cast. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!