Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)

• 97 Replies

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)
« Reply #75 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Jennari, thank you.

Ok, last night I finished all the electronics for the gauntlets. The rectangle LEDs are white; however, I painted them with transparent red, green, and blue Tamiya acrylic paint. Tonight I will shoot the clear coat on the armor.

Thanks for the interest.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Bat Akaan

« Reply #76 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Ok, clear coat shot. I really hate spray paint for this. I used Rust-Oluem flat enamel clear and it did “orange peel” in a few areas. I let all my parts cure for longer than 72 hours just to attempt to avoid this issue. Oh well, I did learn that if I shoot several very light coats over a period of time rather than thicker coats, it did reduce the frequency of the orange peel.

Here is the bucket clear coated.

I also clear coated then attached the chest diamond trophy’s.

Next, I weathered and permanently attached the barrels to the left gauntlet.

Lastly, I assembled the helmet fans.

Next, I will be adding all the electronics, visor, and fabric covers for all the holes in the helmet (ear caps, key holes, mouth). I should be shoot some application pictures next week if all goes well.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71

Bat Akaan

« Reply #77 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Big Update,

First, I glued the armor to the gloves with RTV silicone adhesive.

24 hours late they were done.

Next, I installed the mounting screws for the visor inside the helmet with PC-7. I also glued in some Velcro and used magnets to hold the Velcro in place.

24 hours late, the Velcro and PC-7 were cured. I used super glue to adhere some very thin black material on the inside of all the openings in the helmet. I also used some craft foam to make the top padding inside. Lastly I cut the visor from a 3M safety shield and test fit it inside the helmet.

Next, I applied the mirrored window tint to the visor and installed it.

Next, I installed the cooling fans and padding. I like how the helmet came out.

Next, I installed all the electronics inside the gauntlets.

And that finished all the pre application work. Sooooooo I took some application pictures. It was outside and on a not so flat hill.

So we will see if there is stuff to fix or not.
Thanks for the interest.

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #78 on: Feb 09, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Bat that is some spot on gorgeous work you have there. You should be very proud of that kit and will have those kill stripes in no time!!! OYA!!!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #79 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Darasuum, thank you. Pre-app already in progress.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #80 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:57 PM »
You look amazing!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #81 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Jennari, thank you.

Just a short update. Over in the pre app thread, a comment was made about the left breast armor protruding slightly and if there was any weathering on the flack jacket.

To address both of these, I removed the left breast armor and milled down the epoxy sculpt a bit to allow the armor to lay flatter. Also, I did weather the flack jacket but I added more weathering. This should fix both issues.

That’s it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #82 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:25 PM »
Looks good, vod. 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Bat Akaan

« Reply #83 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Straka, thank you.

Ok I submitted new pics for pre-app and they have now been sent to regionals, so the waiting continues. In the meantime, here are the current pics.

Thanks for the interest

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #84 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Beautiful quality work, well done! I would recommend tightening up the spacing just a hair, but I'll be interested to hear the feedback from the pre-app process! Well done.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #85 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Really excellent work :). Your right shin looks like it's twisted to the side a bit, and the spacing from collar to chest and chest to ab plates does look a little on the wide side, but not impossibly so.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Bat Akaan

« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Kol, thank you for the suggestion. Its actually the camera being held at chest height and not the actual spacing. The spacing is 1” neck to breast, breast to abdominal, and ½: diamond to breast. Keep in mind that the armor is vacuum formed and based on Boba Fett armor so there are no real straight lines. I haven working on some symmetrical bucks for future pulls, but these were the last pieces I was able to pull from my old bucks.
Slade, thank you for your comments. Again, it’s just the position of the camera and this is one of my largest complaints with the approval process. Its like the app team does not take into account the position of the camera and or the angel.  Regardless, no one at regionals had an issue with my spacing, rather the seeming lack of weathering to my cape. I did weather my cape and quite considerably; however, it does not show up very well in a picture (again issues with pictures). Soooo I went hard and heavy with the spray paint. I do not like how much I had to use to get the weathering to show up good in a picture but there should be no doubt that its been weathered now and is consistent with the rest of the kit. So tonight, more pics and resubmission.

That’s it for the update, thanks for the interest.

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Looks good man!! :like:

Bat Akaan

« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:04 PM »
thanks Dan

App submitted 2/28/19 21:39 EST

App approved 3/2/19 13:18 EST

And a little something I am working on for everyone:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=166608.0

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019, 11:12 AM by Bat Akaan » Logged

Bat Akaan

« Reply #89 on: Sep 08, 2019, 04:42 PM »
I made a visor tutorial for anyone needing it.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174839.0

Bat Akaan

« Reply #90 on: Sep 23, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Update 9/23/2019

Back in 2018 I upgraded my side arm from a nerf conversion to the Blastech A-180 (Jyn Erso’s gun from Rogue One) because I wanted a sidearm that felt real and I have always liked the Luger pistol design. The A-180 uses the Luger are the base weapon for the its design. I learned that almost all the weapons used in Rogue One were made from all metal air soft guns and then I found out that a company (AW Customs had made an all metal conversion kit to convert an airsoft Luger to an A-180. I jumped at the chance to build this gun and unlike almost all my other accessories and costumes, this would be primarily a kit gun. I would not need to do a whole lot of fabrication, so that A-180 became my primary side arm. If you are interested in the A-180 build its on page 5 of my other Mandalorian build thread:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=144162.60

When I decided to make another Mandalorian costume, I knew I wanted to do an executioner and I wanted to be fairly minimal on accessories. I used the A-180 for this costume as well and did not want to carry a rifle for invasions; however, I later found that there were times I did want a carbine rifle but not a huge sniper rifle like I had for my other build. Additionally, my original sniper rifle build with a wooden stock got a lot of complements so I knew that if I made a carbine, I wanted to do another wooden stock as well. I also wanted to base this carbine on a real world gun and use an air soft gun for the build.

After Rogue One and Solo its hard to find a correct era looking gun to base a build off that has not already been used. As I said previously, I like the Luger and I have a good knowledge about its design and development. One weapon that I have always liked the look of and knew it had not been used in the SW universe before was the Borchardt C-93.

The Borchardt C-93 was designed by Hugo Borchardt in 1893. As you can see from the reference pictures it shares a lot of similarities with the Luger, this is because Borchardt’s assistant was Georg Luger. Anyway, the large drum structure near the rear of the weapon housed a large spring that provided the return slide action, and there are other differences but the Luger was heavily based on what Borchardt pioneered. There were roughly 3000 Borchardts made and they saw service in WWI.

There are real versions still around and they sell for over 20,000.00 and there are a at least two Japanese companies that made air soft version but they sell for around 400.00 if you can find them. My only real option was to 3D print one. I found a few models but many of them were renders for gaming and not designed for printing. Regardless, I reworked a free and license free model for printing and then designed many of the add-on parts to resemble the A-180. I may later develop a more accurate 3d model for printing but for now this will do.

I also nabbed a free and license free model of a single point scope based on the Armson OEG. For anyone who wants to know, the Armson OEG was the first “red dot” scope and was later sold by Trijicon. The US Military (special operations) used them late in the Viet Nam War and continued to use them until Trijicon developed the tritium red dot scopes and later the battery powered scopes by Trijicon, Aimpoint, and others. The Armson OEG is the scope you see on the rebel DH-17 and even on Capitan Andor’s A-280 CFE. Anyway, the scope is not a see through scope, its actually solid and has a red fiber optic running through the center that picks up ambient light from the reflector on the front (the clear dome part) and illuminated the fiber optic. When you use the scope you keep both eyes open and look at the target with your left eye and look at the scope with your right eye. This results in a red dot to appear on the target since your brain combines the two separate images. Now days we look through red dot scopes and the red dot is projected on the target inside the scope but back in the day this was cutting edge tech. I digress, I printed out the single point scope and made some mounts for it to work with my designed carbine. Unfortunatly, clear abs does not print exactly clear but it turned out good enough. The actual domes on the Armson OEGs were known to discolor and become a milky white so this is not that far off.

After sanding, everything I primed and then painted all the parts.

I wanted the A-180 style parts to look stainless like my A-180 but recreating this with paint is hard. The Borchardt was originally parkerized and later blued so I painted it with a grey color. The scope and other parts were black or another shade of grey. The grips were wood on the Borchardt but again that is hard to replicate on a plastic gun. To further complicate things, it would be very difficult to match the real wood stock with the plastic grips. After painting, I began the assembly.

I made the T-tracks from a garage door seal and applied them with some E-6000. After that I roughed out the stock template.

Like my sniper rifle, the stock was made from ¾ thick white pine. It would be two parts that were glued together and attached with 4 screws. I cut the template out on the boards and then routed out the inside of the boards to reduce weight and allow the stock to slide on to the end of the gun.

After a test fit, I glued the two halves together then rogued out the exterior with a band saw and various sanding tools. Once I had the shape done, I stained the stock with an English Chestnut stain.

I made some templates for graphics and painted them on the stock then applied a clear coat. I also weathered the rest of the gun and clear coated it was well. Overall I am happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for the interest.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #91 on: Sep 24, 2019, 01:35 AM »
Wow.
I love the look of that blaster.  The C-93 was an excellent choice for the base.

If you haven't,  check out Forgotten Weapons on YouTube.   A LOT of good videos for inspiration.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #92 on: Sep 25, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Really clever cobbling together of parts and unique weapons! This gives me a very vintage original trilogy feel!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #93 on: Sep 26, 2019, 07:13 AM »
I just took my time to read this whole wip.

I love the time/effort and diffrent skills you've put in it man. Makes everything pop really nice!
I've learned a lot of new stuff to use in my own 2nd build now, but it's fun to see how people use the same things we all use in difrent ways!
The level of deail in every move/part you make is absolutely amazing!
 :like: :like: :like:

Bat Akaan

« Reply #94 on: Sep 26, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Straka, thanks brother, and yes, I have seen a ton of the forgotten weapons videos, its like tales of the gun but more personal.

Kol, and that is what I was shooting for. Since most of the weapons in the OT were built using WWII era weapons, I started with that in mind. In fact, I was sure that Star Wars would never base a weapon off a modernized weapon like the AR-15, only to be proven wrong with examples like a BlasTech A280-CFE. In any case, there are still a ton of unique weapons from the 1800’s through the mid 1900’s to work with.

Dac’Gar, thank you. I do it because I like working on this stuff and if you are going to do something, you may as well do it right. I realize I am not a professional prop maker nor am I professional costume maker, I am just happy to be around such talented people.

Kol Varek

« Reply #95 on: Sep 28, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Correct, a lot of those weapons were world war surplus. I try to look at those old weapons whenever I'm working on new blaster designs!

« Reply #96 on: Apr 06, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Dude, this looks awesome! I'd buy one of this for the Halloween. Can you make a customized one? I have some ideas! Also, is it possible to draw something on it? Or maybe even transfer vynil heat? Will a machine like this one stahls.com damage the helmet? I would like to customize it with some additional paintings or prints for me and my son. Other than that, just want to say that it looks amazing. If you have a page of your works I would like to see more of them, as I collect all kinds of cool stuff.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2021, 11:45 AM by Oberin » Logged

Bat Akaan

« Reply #97 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Oberin, thank you for the compliment. I only made the Borchardt C-93  for my kit, many of my 3d printed designs are available for free on thingiverse but this is not one of them.  I am retired from the MMCC and only come on the board when I receive a notification. Good luck with you build.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!