Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tabbards

• 15 Replies

Arador Khel

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Tabbards
« on: Oct 05, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Are tabbards acceptable?  Sorry if this posted elsewhere?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Tabbards
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Tabbards are going to pull you into in-universe crossover territory with both Sith and Jedi, and generally make the kit pretty cloth heavy. 

Arador Khel

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2018, 06:24 PM »
The material is very light.  Weight is not a problem.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Tabards, by their very nature, cover the armor.  That's what they do.  We display our armor.  *shrug*  Additionally.....they're a very Jedi/Sith thing.  So while it's in the bounds of possibility that you could make and wear a tabard that didn't entirely cover your armor and at the same time didn't make your mando look like a force-using crossover...or like a Renn Faire crossover...it'll be very, very difficult.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2018, 10:05 PM »
The material is very light.  Weight is not a problem.

Meant high cloth to armor ratio. Not the physical weight.

Arador Khel

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2018, 10:39 PM »
The tabards are thin.....not wide like Jedi.  I'd share a pic, but I've no computer, only the cell phone.  It's a good look for the Desert Theme.  Gonna try to get it through the app team.....fingers crossed.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Use the imgur app and get the link from there. A photo would be really helpful. Worth noting two app team members are part of the commentary on this thread :) look forward to your next post, hopefully with a photo.

Arador Khel

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2018, 01:16 PM »
http://imgur.com/gallery/FZtdMGk

Uhhhh.....not what I was hoping for.  Does the link need to be modified?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 05:16 AM by Vor'en Marr » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Followed the link.
It's covering half to 2/3rds of your chest armor, which other than the t visor is the most recognizeably mandalorian part of a kit. And it still has a very  Jedi feel to it. If you wanted to mimic the effect by painting wide stripes at the same angle, that'd work.

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2018, 01:45 PM by Sep Ho'ban » Logged

Arador Khel

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2018, 01:59 PM »
And if the tabards are thinner?  I see allot of stripes on kitsch.  I like the duster look....just wanted something different.

Thinner ok? 

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 05:04 AM by Vor'en Marr » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Thinner will look more like suspenders than what you're describing.  And honestly, if you're wanting to go with a duster...go with a duster.  The pseudo-tabard thing pictured looks like it was taken off a Jedi.  That particular garment makes a kit look like a Jedi/Mando crossover, which is, of course, unapprovable.  Thinner would, again, look like suspenders, and would, more than likely, not look swarzy enough to be approved.  Again...my best advice if you want a duster is to wear a duster.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Speaking as a guy who has both Mando and Jedi costumes, and who's made a Mando-Jedi (for an 8-year-old kid for Halloween), your concept is definitely into Jedi territory.  It looks awesome, and it would make a pretty cool idea for an unofficial kit, but it's not going to pass for official.  Definitely go all the way to a duster look if you really want that clothy style on an official kit.

Arador Khel

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Thanx for all the feed back, yall.  Looks like I'm on the hunt for a duster.

Since I'm now changing direction towards a duster, I've one last question.   Does the back plate need to be mounted to the outside of the duster...or is it even needed at all?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 05:11 AM by Vor'en Marr » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Back plate would be UNDER the duster, but not required with duster. Shoulders should be mounted on top of duster.

Arador Khel

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2018, 05:12 PM »
If I go this route....duster would be sleeveless

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:53 AM »
If I go this route....duster would be sleeveless
Right, duster has to be sleeveless -- however, there's the material that goes across the top of the area between neck and shoulder, that has the potential to go over or under the shoulder bells depending on how duster is cut, and how shoulders are mounted.  As it sits in your photo, I think your shoulders would be fine, but I didn't know if you were planning to change that when you added the duster or not, so I just wanted to cover the bases  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!