Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First armor concept from first timer

• 8 Replies
First armor concept from first timer
« on: Oct 07, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Um hi, this is what I was thinking for Drake Werda, although I don’t have 90% of it yet...
First I’ve got to find a flight suit(Some help there would be awesome), one of Sidi's flak jackets, and a loincloth for the soft parts.

For the chest, abs, and shoulders I was looking at one of these:

Or

From Liondendc on Etsy, link.
I was also looking at his greaves.

For the two belts I was thinking  a sash and a drop leg gun belt for my Westar 35.

I haven’t decided between bracers or gauntlets yet but I figured I could reuse my airsoft gloves.
I’m also modifying a sniper blanket from then into a cloak something like this.

And for my bucket I was looking at the Econo-Merc Helmet from Eternal armory or a Mandowar from ZeroCoolPropShop. ...Ok the Mandowar is off the list... Would  albatrosscustoms Vanguard work?

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 10:23 PM by DragoLord19D » Logged
Re: First armor concept from first timer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Oya vod!

Nice looking concept. It's good to shop around before committing! I'd really wait for a member of the app team to come around before committing to some of these purchases though!

I believe those shin guard designs come from an swtor sith juggernaut set and might not be mando enough. The chest piece might not work for a modern mando and the ghili cloak might be too real world tactical gear for instance. I'm not on the app team so i don't know for sure, but those might be good questions to ask before spending money on what might not be aprovable pieces though!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2018, 10:06 PM »
DO NOT USE A HELMET FROM ZeroCoolProps!!  He is on our banned sellers list.  The quality isn't that good, and would require more work to make it acceptable. 

Eternal Armory would be a better choice, as they are a reputable seller.

Those chest plates... You should contact a member of the App Team, see what would need to be done.  As they sit now, they are more akin to SWTOR armor, and would not work for Modern.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2018, 10:28 PM »
DO NOT USE A HELMET FROM ZeroCoolProps!!  He is on our banned sellers list.  The quality isn't that good, and would require more work to make it acceptable. 

Eternal Armory would be a better choice, as they are a reputable seller.

Those chest plates... You should contact a member of the App Team, see what would need to be done.  As they sit now, they are more akin to SWTOR armor, and would not work for Modern.
Really? Man, I really liked it... alright, Mandowar is off my wishlist.
And maybe a no-go on the Chest plates? Crud, I saw what looked like a solid chest plate on the Mandalorian and really liked the idea...

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 10:44 PM by DragoLord19D » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Solid chest plates are do-able.  Legacy style uses a solid chest, similar to medieval knights. But those examples you showed were from the SWTOR MMO, so not acceptable for the more modern style.

They still haven't passed any judgement on the armor from The Mandalorian.  Too early to really get a good impression from.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Straka Zulu and the others havent steered you wrong.

For sure avoid that helmet like the plague.
with regards to the shin armor, that is approvable, many mandos are wearing that same shin armor right now and I even plan to upgrade to it at some point.
the chest armor you originally linked is akin to the crusader era CRLs and would require some mods to meet our CRLs.
the armor present on "The Mandalorian" is at present under review, it appears most similar to our legacy guidelines at this point in time which falls under the modern era. there are some great tutorials and templates for the legacy style armor on the boards under the War College and I advise to go look at them.

The weapon you have linked will work and its a solid go to weapon for mandos especially in the modern era!

i personally would rethink the ghille suit style cape, but with the right effort and proper guidance it would probably look great on a kit.

keep us posted with your ideas and we will get back to them ASAP

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:50 AM »
When I look at your first chest armor link, my first thought is "Sith Acolyte" not Mandalorian.

Second photo looks like crusader armor, but the diamond stuff would need to go, so as it sets it's half modern, half crusader, not approvable without modding. 

As others have said, you should really check out legacy, and I'll also add, search "trauma plates" as several of your references have the trauma plated look.  Also worth noting, that you don't have to stick to the posted templates for Legacy -- there's room for quite a bit of variation.  Check out the reference photos, and work from there.   

Re: The Mandalorian - no guarantee that the armor looks like that by the time the show is released, and we need photos from all sides before the CRL team can address it.

Before purchasing ANY armor, from ANY vendor -- it's good to realize that most vendor's make at most 2 or 3 sizes of an item, and we require that armor lay against the body and fit snugly with no air gaps, so most any armor will need some tweaks to shaping or other modifications to fit the end user well enough to be approved in.  Some armor manufacturing techniques make that modification easier than others.     -- If you make your own, you can address a lot of the fitting issues while it's still paper, before you move to plastic. 

Sep

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Well I’ve finally made some design decisions about my armor.
I’m ordering a Vanguard helmet from AlbatrossCustoms next week (hopefully)

I’m also thinking about making Drake a fake hand.

I just gotta figure out if my 3d printer wants to work with me or not.

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2018, 09:37 AM by DragoLord19D » Logged

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:50 AM »
those seem like solid ideas!  be sure you familiarize yourself with the process of smothing out 3d prints, while geometric shapes are great, the lines and the artifacts from 3d printing are not desired and should be worked with and smoothed away before painting it fully :) just keeps the quality of your kit looking good and it helps the props and items 3d printed look and feel more "real"

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!