Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Republic Com-Mando

• 24 Replies

digitalviking

• Ammon - haar Ve'vut Solus
Republic Com-Mando
« on: Oct 17, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Greetings fellow builders and Mercs,

I have, under construction, a wonderful in-universe kit that will take a classic/Deathwatch Mando kit and inject inspiration from the Clone Wars era Republic Commandos. My basic premise is black and shiny armor with a dark colored jumpsuit. I have been entertaining the idea of having a Twi'lek underneath with red Lekku and Maul-like tribal patterns on them.

The colors will be black and a bold red.

On the kit, I want to incorporate some of my favorite Star Wars elements, Clone-like belt pieces and maybe a Clone backpack / commando pack. The weaponry will be standard RC loadout, but maybe I'll use my droid blaster until I can get the RC rifle. The vest pattern is a similar pattern to Starkiller's vest as pictured below, kind of like a not to him as one of my favorite characters and I felt the pattern would add some interest instead of just all black and shiny. The vest is leather of course and will be very hot, but as a trooper with many costumes, I am very much used to it.

- Soft Parts -

My flightsuit is an actual retired Air Force flightsuit and the vest is leather. My boots, of which I haven't decided yet, are standard black dressy'ish boots. I will be using black Nomex flight gloves and a leather neck seal with a patterned black balaclava. My half-cape I desire to be the one pictured, red with a black pattern that will almost perfectly match the design of the Maul pattern that I want on my Lekku. That should be about it on the soft parts.

- Hard Parts -

My complete armor set has come from TMA with the commando'ish helmet from Molon Labe Studios! Deathwatch pieces: back, chest, neck, abdomen, shins, and rocket hand plates. Classic Mando pieces: shoulders, gauntlets, cod, thighs, knees, and boot covers. These will be painted a glossy black with a red led panel under the portion of the chest that I will cut out. The helmet will eventually have red LED's incorporated into the visor and small red LED bulbs in the small spaces of the helmet, all powered with a splitter that I have connected to a battery pack. The visor design I have already gotten approval on, and I think will fit the "Alien" Com-mando build. The armored belt and back pack I want to look like they came straight out of the Clone Wars era and would fit the build, with some modifications of course.

Below is the mock I came up with that could give some visual coherence to what I'm trying to say, if nothing else, photos!!!!!

The white variance is so you can see the armor without it being blacked out for more input.

But imagine it with a red visor }:)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Republic Com-Mando
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:08 PM »
I like it, vod.  Awaiting my ComMando's arrival.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I think the tattooed leku make it look like a sith mando crossover...... just my opinion.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:20 PM »
Think about how you're going to modify the helmet to integrate the lekku -- you can't just glue them to the back.  They have to look like they go through the helmet and attach to your head.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Posting to follow and see how it goes!

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:41 PM »
For your helmet visor, think about your field of vision. With those center pieces across the horizontal part of the visor your vision is going to be obscured more than usual.

Tra'alor, Manda'galaar Clan / OM #1686 1/12/17 / Invasions: 102
Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
Kyr’am Tyrahr #1686B approved 11/23/18
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I would also be concerned with them being fragile.  It is a damn cool design, but if you do use it, be VERY careful in installing the visor.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:59 PM »
From a practical standpoint, I'm fairly certain that visor design isn't going to work.  You're going to have a very hard time seeing, I think, and that's a safety concern.  Yours, and others. 

Additionally, using

the Maul pattern that I want on my Lekku

along with all the Republic Commando elements, Deathwatch, a Starkiller vest....the "mando" is really getting lost.  This design is very very mash-up of sooo many elements that it lacks cohesion and a coherent theme.  If you want to do a Twi'Lek mando, that's awesome.  I'd highly advise you choose patterning that isn't from another character - Star Wars or otherwise. 

In fact, I'd really recommend that you start with a mandalorian kit.  Basic, plain, nothing on it that's not mandalorian and add a few non-mando bits here and there.  As accents.  Keep your kit mandalorian.  And when adding a few non-mando things to your kit, I'd recommend adding RC elements or a little Starkiller, or Deathwatch.  Not everything all at once.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:30 PM »
What Havelock said. IF you are going for official membership always start with Mando and work your way out. Trying to cram together elements from several different characters will cause more issues than the end result is worth. Keep it at most 20% non-Mando, at most. If you are using RC belt and a Clone backpack the rest should all be Mandalorian.

Using the Starkiller vest is a nice idea but it will be covered with your armor and you'll lose the uniqueness of that design. Best to stick with a more traditional Mando style vest, especially with the RC and Clone armor components you mention.

I don't have an issue with red lekku but look for other styles of markings rather than straight up Maul. There are some generic Sith-y tattoos you can use and get the same effect.

On your helmet, the thin center portion of your visor can still be achieved and keep your vision. What I would suggest is cutting out the full visor opening. Then apply your red tint to the portion you want to be red and leave the "solid" portion the dark tint. This will give you the slitted visor look without impairing your vision.

Tra'alor, Manda'galaar Clan / OM #1686 1/12/17 / Invasions: 102
Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
Kyr’am Tyrahr #1686B approved 11/23/18
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

digitalviking

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Thank you all so much for your input, it helps out tremendously! I think we are getting lost though in what I was trying to convey about this kit. I am starting from a full set of Mando armor, and will be making RC elements that look RC, but are not exact RC pieces that I'm just going to put on my kit. They will look SW'sy and Commandoish, but will be some random blocky belt and backpack / jetpack design that looks like something a RC would have.

The Lekku will be coming out of the helmet, not glued on, and won't have Mauls tats, but Maul-like tats - ie: red Lekku with black Twi'lek'ish tats.

The visor idea might be accomplished with having it completely out and a black line drawn or painted on the visor, but I'm 100% certain it would not be a problem because I have cut out the visor shape on a piece of cardboard as suggested by a local Ruusalor, it was amazing! Didn't even notice the lines were there. It may be because the visor will be so close to my eyes, they weren't obstructed by the lines. If it was further from my face, I believe it definitely would pose a serious issue. But I digress, if it appears to be too problematic, I'll settle for something else.

The vest isn't Starkillers, just the curved sewed pattern on a basic leather Mando vest. Some of it will be covered up by the armor, but that's okay, some of the sewed lines are definitely present and help offset all the plain and black. The red elements will definitely help there too.

If anyone has some experience in making Lekku, let me know. I'm allergic to latex and I think silicone will be too stiff to make Lekku. I thought about just doing multiple layers of black pantyhose, then packing it full of stuffing, but not sure if that's allowed or not.

Thanks and happy building!

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02:33 PM »
The problem with the tattoos is they're not specific to maul..... they are sith tattoos darth talon had a variation as did darth wyrlock so it's still going to push you into mando sith cross over territory which is a violation of the c.r.l.'s.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02:55 PM »
The lekku have to look like skin when theyre done to match the screen references we have for twileksm

digitalviking

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2018, 03:49 PM »
The lekku have to look like skin when theyre done to match the screen references we have for twileksm

Do people generally use the tights and that works, or what have you seen that people have done to get this effect?

Thanks!

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Jett has a good point.  Red with black tribal patterns like that - particularly on lekku - is almost exclusively a Sith thing.  And again, with all the non-mando elements you're wanting to bring into this kit, even starting with a full set of Mando armor, the "mando" is getting lost.  This design isn't un-approvable, but with so many disparate elements, the essential mandalorian aesthetic and feel is getting buried. 

I'd strongly recommend you streamline your concept, using fewer elements from recognizably non-mandalorian sources.  If you really want to keep your lekku red with black accents, try going for curves and whorls, perhaps, instead of sharp angles.  Definitely stay away from the tribal patterns.  And, as Sep said, they have to look like skin, not a costume, in addition to looking like they're an actual part of your physiology, rather than just added to your bucket.  As far as making them look like realistic skin, latex is typically the go-to choice. 

Also, use fewer Clone and RC elements on your kit, to avoid diluting the mandalorian aspects.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2018, 04:16 PM »
I've seen people use latex and silicone. Both of which you nixed from jump, to which lead me to believe you'd read some lekku tutorials before posting since you were already aware of the two primaries.  From here i would recommend checking out TheRpf to see what folks have done there.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!