Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Weapons WIP for Ratiin... Pic heavy

• 32 Replies

Cowboy_KenFL

• In life and name- Ratiin Verburyc
Weapons WIP for Ratiin... Pic heavy
« on: Oct 27, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Quad laser on back burner. Some logistics to work out.  :-\

Doing my "small" weapons. I've been told if I use "nerf" style blasters I need to heavily modify them. So,  here are some images of what it was, where it is now and (eventually) the results.
Please give me your thoughts,  I'd like them to pass on the 1st round from Apps. Thanks!

Where it started...

Where it started 3/4 view... to show where narrowed.

Handle raised, and trigger guard shortened;  "safety" removed from opposite side. Will be adding a rounded barrel. Also, adding a hammer and less "nerf" trigger.

Can see some of the narrowing here. Current barrel cap hasn't been narrowed (yet). Round barrel not added, yet.

Where it started... (mine is grey)

Bowcaster,  after some major cuts... becoming more of a hand cannon.

No matter where you go, there you are. - Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

tomzom

• 'he's no good to me dead !"
Re: Weapons WIP for Ratiin... Pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2018, 02:51 PM »
bigger grip and some greeblies, that bow casters gonna make an awesome heavy blaster

Cowboy_KenFL

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Tomzom- My same thoughts.

I cut out the rectangular mounting point for the darts holder; on the opposite side. Going to make it into a clip loading spot. It'll make the blaster left handed only, but that's okay.
I'm looking at putting a Stawarsy cooling shroud over the barrel. Figuring out the rest, as I go.

Find I lost post I made... a long time ago, in a galaxy far away... Oops! That was geeky! LOL

Anyways, it had an image of what I was wanting to do with the bowcaster.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95571.msg1389356#msg1389356

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2018, 10:08 PM by Cowboy_KenFL » Logged

Cowboy_KenFL

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Where I'm at with one of my blasters...

What y'all think??

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:05 PM »
To be honest, it looks too 'cyberpunk' to me; too fiddly to belong in the Star Wars universe :(

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

LusjoOrdo

• I don't use the Force. I just use force.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I like it personally. Honestly the Tobias Beckett sidearms made me realize any gun design can pop up in Star Wars. Especially since they labeled them as a BlasTech design which prior to that, their blasters look nothing like his normally.

Staten Island, NY, USA
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #40
M.A.R.S.
M.M.R.S. #42

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=165621.0

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:44 AM »
I would fill in some or all of the panel lines that are just ahead of your trigger area and also the round bits above the grip where the hammer was, personally. Those to me would both cut down on the cyberpunk/nerf vibe, and help clean up the over all look without a ton of effort on your end.

That said, I really like where it's at either way. Over all, I think you've done a good job at making it look less "nerf" at first glance, especially by narrowing the entire body of the gun so much. I'd kind of like to see that three quarters angle on the "updated" version just so we can see just how much you chopped off!

I agree on the bowcaster being a great base to use as a handgun, and think really the biggest thing to do is put a bigger grip on it, and maybe add a power pack somewhere or something like that.

Keep up the great work!

Cowboy_KenFL

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Hellwolve- I can see the Cyperpunk, not sure on the fiddly part. Thanks for yer thoughts.

Lusjo- Thanks. Good point.

Novoc- Thanks. Hmmm... wouldn't that make it rather "slab sided"? I removed a good bit (to much in a couple places). The revolver was actually a plan change. Which I think was for the better. I've tossed in a shot of the original nose piece, with a ruler. She's now 2" at her widest.

I decided to show progress pics on my Bowcaster, turned slug thrower. I did the heat shield myself. That was a pain! I presently don't have access to a drill press. So used my dremel, my lap and a ruler. What y'all think?

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 02:28 PM by Cowboy_KenFL » Logged

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Hellwolve- I can see the Cyperpunk, not sure on the fiddly part. Thanks for yer thoughts.
You're welcome :)

And I quite like where you're going with the 'ex bowcaster'!

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:01 AM »
That magazine clip still needs work.  It still screams "NERF!"

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:51 PM »
The amount of patience it took to drill all of those holes is nothing short of awe inspiring. Agree on the mag. Just cover/fill the triangles and you'll be in good shape.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Cowboy_KenFL

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Jag- I know,  read reading from that heat shield. Blah! LOL

Anansi- Thanks, patients tends to be one of virtues. Drivers the drive crazy. I was wondering what extent I needed to change it.
Of course I still need to give it some proper color. My Mando tends to have some mottos; one being... "Take care of yer tools. They'll take care of you. " As weapons are some of my tools... they won't be very weathered.

LusjoOrdo

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Maybe it still being orange is throwing people off with the mag. I donít think it looks overly nerf in design. Maybe the unnecessary amount of textures and design on the mag? If painting it black or metal color doesnít take away the nerf look then Iíd say smooth some of it out. Like the bottom portion. Just my opinion.

Staten Island, NY, USA
M.A.R.S.
M.M.R.S. #42

WIP

Cowboy_KenFL

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:00 AM »
Lusjo- Very true. There have been studies showing color will greatly effect a person's whole attitude towards an object. I'm gonna fill in the triangles and spray some primer gray on it. See what thoughts are then.

Jag- I hate phones predictive text. They never get it right for me. Doing the heat shield was exhausting. I don't have a drill press, or such. So, it was, my lap, a dremel and time.

LusjoOrdo

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:25 PM »
If you donít mind me asking, what are the circle greeblies that you used?

Staten Island, NY, USA
M.A.R.S.
M.M.R.S. #42

WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!