Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jaster Fett (formerly Rai'ak), becoming Mandalorian Protector **APPROVED**

• 204 Replies

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Oya ner vode!

I'm Jaster. I've been an official member for 2 years now. When I first joined, I sported a gold and red (McMando lol) armor that I was, and still am, very proud of.

Recently, circumstances in my life have taken me down a road I do not want to be. Namely, divorce. I look at my armor now and see a man who no longer exists.

Today, I see something new. I see a fresh start, and with that, a fresh coat of paint. I've been working on a Boba Fett the last several months and wanted to incorporate those pieces in my new kit. I showed my initial concepts to my Alor'ad and he suggested I join you; The Protectors Brigade!

That said, Jaster Rai'ak has been put to rest. Standing before you is a new, hungry, Mando'ade: Jaster Fett.

I took the liberty of tweaking my design to be more CRL compliant. The first is my most compliant. The second one is something I wanted to ask on regarding the green for the armor. I was wondering if I could make it a blue green? If not, that's fine.

I'm still in the planning stage so ideas and advice are certainly welcome!

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2019, 01:39 AM by Jaster Fett » Logged
Re: Jaster Fett (formerly Rai'ak), becoming Mandalorian Protector
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 02:52 AM »
G'day vod, I like the second pic, like the bluish colour. Don't know about what's allowed or not...can't see why not, but I like it
Keen to see your progress

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:11 AM »
So sorry to hear about your struggles, vod. 

The same sort of circumstance led me to the MMCC, and changed my life so bigger and better things are on the horizon for you!

Really like your concept.  I would accept both colors with maybe a tiny bit more green in your bottom concept. 

I would encourage you to look around at some other protectors, pre-productions Bobas, and some of the earlier marvel comics about Mandalorians to see if you can get some inspiration from those that speaks to you.  That way, you can put your own special spin on this kit and be less Boba.  :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Jaster Fett

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:14 AM »
So sorry to hear about your struggles, vod. 

The same sort of circumstance led me to the MMCC, and changed my life so bigger and better things are on the horizon for you!

Really like your concept.  I would accept both colors with maybe a tiny bit more green in your bottom concept. 

I would encourage you to look around at some other protectors, pre-productions Bobas, and some of the earlier marvel comics about Mandalorians to see if you can get some inspiration from those that speaks to you.  That way, you can put your own special spin on this kit and be less Boba.  :)

Thanks for the feedback!
There are some variations of reds and greens I want to use as well as maybe do something with the girth belt color. I'm still locking down a basic color scheme. I also have some trophies on my old kit I'd like to use as well, just got to pick which ones.

Jaster Fett

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:51 PM »

Here's a third design I came up with real fast. I'm thinking of using red oxide for my visor frame/secondary color and knees. The shoulders are going to be a burnt orange and the gauntlets a yellow color (most likely a softer, dirtier, less vibrant yellow. I'm still playing around)

Green has been challenging. I have this soft, forest green paint I liked on my first Boba plates I'd like to incorporate but it still feel a bit too derived. I'd prefer not to use an airbrush as I have such horrible luck with maintaining them but I want my green to be unique. I tried going for the more citrusy one that you see in the old Marvel comics, but I'm not going to lie; NOT a fan of the bright colors.

The CRL says medium green but it would be nice to know how that term fits by way of shading (because I feel like hunter green could be too dark and lime green too light)

But I do know I want to add traces of blue into the green to help standout and to represent my clan (as our colors are blue and green)

I would welcome thoughts and advice

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:59 PM »
I'm in no way the definitive voice on this, but I did write the Mandalorian Protector BRL's when I was the Canon/Legends Marshal and therefore should be able to help guide you a bit.  The primary color should be of a medium green close to either of Boba's greens. He has a darker forest green for his torso plates and a lighter green on the dome and cheeks of his helmet.  The brighter green we see in the comics should still be allowed but should be muted with a blackwash and brownwash to make it more realistic (unless, of course, you're going for the straight-off-the-page comic look).  If you want to utilize blue, I'd highly suggest you use it as a tertiary color (light blue is allowed) and utilize it for your kill stripes and maybe your gauntlets (one or both). You could definitely incorporate the blue into your jetpack.

Also, love that my Facebook suggestion took root and that you're pursuing the Protector route!  We can never have too many! :D

Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Tra'alor 2023
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

Jaster Fett

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:06 PM »
I have settled on the basic color scheme for my Protector. This was much harder than I thought it was going to be since there were a lot of ideas I had that I had to scrap because they were not BRL compliant.

I'll get a list of things going here soon. The flight suit, boots, and girth belt aren't a problem since I already have those but everything else will have to be built or bought and since I'm also working on a Boba Fett kit, updates may be scarce

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Looks like a great concept!

Look forward to seeing it all come together.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Jaster Fett

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I have compiled my shopping list for my Protector

Helmet
* modified 3 piece (Target) Rubies Boba helmet with the dent filled in, Opaque T-Visor installation l, and extended RF stock
Helmet and range finder have been ordered.
Chest plates
*custom plates made from 6mm sintra using Boba style plates - - painted, black wash needed. Awaiting Clan emblem decal to put on right breast plate
Cod/kidney plate
Cod will be bought from IOA, kidney will be made
Back plate
*Attempt to make but will most likely buy from. IOA
Knee plates
*Kit, buying from IOA
Gauntlets
*Painted. Currently adding greeblies

Soft pieces
Flak vest
*purchased and awaiting arrival (from Kripton Top)
Flight suit
*In possession (ROTJ Boba from Arkady Designs)
Neck seal
*In possession (From Arkady Designs)
Shoulder cape(s)
*Currently looking for artist to accept commissions
Kama
*Currently looking for artist to accept commissions
Boots
*In possession (from MOW)
Boot spats
*In possession (ROTJ Boba style from Arkady Designs)
Gloves
*ESB Gloves ordered Army 7th Infantry Division and FORSCOM patches to stitch into them
Girth belt
*in possession - custom made
Ammo belt
*in possession from Dha Bral
Hip Pouches
*In possession from Arkady Designs

Equipment
Side arm w/holster
*side arm acquired (3d printed ANH DL-44)
*Looking into holsters
EE-3 (ROTJ)
*Looking into either a scratch build, kit, or artist commission
Jetpack
*Looking into either a Boba or Jango pack from either MOW or NME (Most likely MOW)
Shin tools
*In possession - resin cast pieces by MOW
Wookie braides
*In possession - by Fashwiing (OM)
Damaged Lightsaber
*In possession - custom made with crystal made by Jakespear Props
Death Watch Chest Diamond
*will make using 6mm sintra - - chest diamond cut and primed

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2018, 03:55 AM by Jaster Fett » Logged

Jaster Fett

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:22 AM »
So, I have an update sooner than expected! I had a spare set of gauntlets I was going to use for Boba but screwed up on the hinge placement so I used them for my custom Mando. Today, they get repurposed! I applied a base metallic coat and used Vaseline for masking to create weathering.

I then took krylon Bauhaus Gold and sprayed it onto the gauntlets until I had a solid coat. I then wiped the Vaseline off to expose the metal and reapplied the Vaseline over the weathered surface and sprayed Krylon pumpkin orange to the pieces.

After letting it dry, I once again wiped off the Vaseline to create a layered weather effect

While painting, I also misted the gauntlets with black spray paint and misted more orange over it too dull it out. I've applied dullcote to the gauntlets to remove the sheen and once dry, I'll black wash the gauntlets more

Mi'ix

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Loving the layered look!

The additional black wash will go a long way to making them look lived in.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Jaster Fett

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Loving the layered look!

The additional black wash will go a long way to making them look lived in.

The moment you think you've done enough. No! IT NEEDS MOAR! MOAR BLACK WASH!!!

Lol next phase will be to get some buttons installed and do some touch up painting and then I'm going to move on to the armor plates

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I am really digging the concept art man. Looking awesome and that weathering on the gauntlets is looking pretty great. My current only personal 2 cents are as follows... Noooooooooooooooo more orange and green Protector kits lol I believe there are 5 kits total that are either approved or working towards approval that have orange gauntlets lol. I saw mention of blue accent colors on the kit. I think that would be pretty cool and reminiscent of the Jango Fett: Open Season Mandalorians. That being said, I also dig the black on the flame thrower bits and pleeeease pleeease please add the Jaig "Ears" that the Pre-Pro Fett eyes  :like: :like: :like: :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Jaster Fett

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I am really digging the concept art man. Looking awesome and that weathering on the gauntlets is looking pretty great. My current only personal 2 cents are as follows... Noooooooooooooooo more orange and green Protector kits lol I believe there are 5 kits total that are either approved or working towards approval that have orange gauntlets lol. I saw mention of blue accent colors on the kit. I think that would be pretty cool and reminiscent of the Jango Fett: Open Season Mandalorians. That being said, I also dig the black on the flame thrower bits and pleeeease pleeease please add the Jaig "Ears" that the Pre-Pro Fett eyes  :like: :like: :like: :like:

I hear ya. I REALLY wanted to do a green heavy turquoise but I have awful luck with air brushes. I thought about doing the tertiary light blue for the gauntlets but it just looked SOOOOO off. If it were allowed, I probably would've gone with a weathered turquoise

Jaster Fett

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:29 AM »
Nothing too terribly major tonight after dinner. I went on ahead and black washed my gauntlets using black acrylic paint and a piece of foam. I'd dab the foam in the paint and apply it to random parts of my gauntlet. I then would take a dry towel and smear the paint into the gauntlet. If I want less, I simply rub at the paint harder to get it off.

'd like to think they're believably dirty. I'm going to be out of town for a football game tomorrow but Saturday I'm going to look into getting some switches and other goodies for these bad boys

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I hear ya. I REALLY wanted to do a green heavy turquoise but I have awful luck with air brushes. I thought about doing the tertiary light blue for the gauntlets but it just looked SOOOOO off. If it were allowed, I probably would've gone with a weathered turquoise

lol. I think they could look pretty sweet and would definitely be pretty unique. I did some spray paint research for you and in my opinion the Rustoleum Satin Lagoon blue might be a cool choice for a blue color but has appears to have a somewhat lighter blueish - teal vibe like in the old Marvel comics and in Jango Fett open season

https://spraypaint.rustoleum.com/products/protective-enamel-spray?ls=277239&lc=Gloss%20Lagoon

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
G'day mate, what orobs do you have with an airbrush...the airbrush itself?, air pressure, paint consistency?

Jaster Fett

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:36 PM »
G'day mate, what orobs do you have with an airbrush...the airbrush itself?, air pressure, paint consistency?

First brush was my fault. I disassembled it to clean it and parts fell down the drain and my  second brush just quit on me after one use

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Geez, what brand was that?

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:17 PM »
First brush was my fault. I disassembled it to clean it and parts fell down the drain and my  second brush just quit on me after one use

Oh no! This is my nightmare!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:36 PM »
I treat mine with no respect....gets a clean every now and then
Iwata eclipse.....swear by it, also got a badger velocity ....feels good in hand, nice weight and finish....iwata is easier to use

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Yikes. That sucks. In paint related news, stumbled upon this paint color at Meijer. It is  the perfect match for the Marvel comics Protector gauntlet/jetpack blue. I actually might repaint my gauntlet blasters this color.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2018, 05:58 PM by Fenn Beviin » Logged

Jaster Fett

« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2018, 10:34 PM »
Got quite a bit done today on my first free day in almost 2 weeks.

I mounted my wrist rocket on my left gauntlet. I'm going to look into buttons and switches to install here next week and do some final painting touch ups.

As an added bonus, I was able to cut out my Boba style plates with 6mm sintra I had lying around. After I cut the armor out, I rounded all the edges and washed out all off to get it ready for primer and paint.

After cutting my plates (To ESB playing in the background by the way), I went to Ace Hardware to see what they had for paint colors. I'm planning on using Rustoleum Meadow Green for the helmet and the satin outdoor green for the plates. I was originally going to use red but saw this fire orange color and was instantly drawn to it. What do you all think? Stick with red for the visor frame and knees or use this fire orange?

Jaster Fett

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Got another update for you guys!
I shaped and molded my plates and got my US Army 7th Infantry and FORSCOM patches or my gloves today!

Mi'ix

« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Nice little addition those patches are!

;)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!