Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Would these boots work?

• 3 Replies

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Would these boots work?
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I am considering buying these boots for another costume, and wonder if they would work for  a Mando as well.  I would probably make shin/knees that wrap around to cover the buttons.

from here.

Thank you for your advice.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Would these boots work?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I don't think they'd work well. In addition to covering the buttons up, you'd need to cover the lacings on the back as well. The problem is they're distinctly Renaissance style boots, and the goal is to avoid having anything that the average person can walk up, point at, and go "that's XYZ item, I have one just like it at home".

If you like that high-topped style, for the price you'd be better off getting a proper pair of lace-less riding boots similar to what the Imperial Officers and 95% of the rest of the un-armoured characters from the Original Trilogy wore, or a decent pair of work/combat boots and a set of half-chaps to cover the lacings and mount armour to.

Alternatively, look at Tanker and Engineer boots. Most of those are lace-less and are generic enough that they don't trigger an automatic "hey, that's XYZ!" reflex from the average person.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:55 AM »
As Fenris said, you have to cover the buttons and the laces.  That said, it's possible to make them work.  I have one kit that uses a pair of Minnetonka Mocs with the laces covered by spats.  What I'd do with those boots is cut off the buttons (carefully of course) and replace the laces entirely, with a set of leather straps with metal side-release buckles.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!